Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"The Wagon" - can we get this?

On another forum (I don't know if I should post the name; it's not a diaper site), they do this. There has been some interest expressed in having it available here.

I'm sure this would need a mod in charge of it for applications/removals/pm's about it. DS is huge.

There is a folder for Addicts. No BST or ISO is allowed in that folder. It's for support, a (what would be here) diaper count, discussions and supporting about shopping addiction. Anyone can post there but it must be supportive.

Secondly, you can join The Wagon. You get a little title graphic about being on the wagon, and your privileges/access to the B/S/T area of the board is removed. You can still access all chat threads.

Third.. people need to understand what it is. You really and truly are NOT to sell to anyone On The Wagon. If they want to buy, they should be removed from the wagon first. It can be for a day (ooooh I really need to sit out this sale, or that stocking), a week (I have to wait till we get paid), or indefinite (I own 300 diapers and can't stop buying).

Can we get this function??

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: "The Wagon" - can we get this?

It sounds like a neat idea but sounds like it might be really involved to write up I will point Lee this way but I do know that we have poor Ken buried under a pile of to-do lists somewhere
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

True enough. The person in charge of it has to have access to folder privs. I'd think the actual changes are fairly easy, it's a box you check or uncheck.

Maybe people can put themselves on the wagon by choosing not to display that folder? I know we have that at.. unnamed forum.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

That sounds pretty intense...
I wonder if there are that many mamas here who feel that their shopping addiction is a problem?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Lee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Why would an addict have the self control to put themselves on the wagon in the first place? What would stop them from pulling out just to buy something? Just trying to think outloud here.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
True enough. The person in charge of it has to have access to folder privs. I'd think the actual changes are fairly easy, it's a box you check or uncheck.

Maybe people can put themselves on the wagon by choosing not to display that folder? I know we have that at.. unnamed forum.
Oh yeah, I'm sure once it's set up it runs pretty smooth but someone has to either aquire or write the programming to make said "wagon" work on the board. It might not be as complicated as I'm thinking Although I'm still pushing to get the entire FSOT an Opt in, by approval only section with post count guidelines for getting in(sort of Like WAHM wares but you can't SEE it if you aren't a member like Sens Subj.) I need sleep, I'm rambling
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
cowmommy
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

PS mentioning other forums by name isn't against the rules you just aren't allowed to spam or bash them...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmommy View Post
Oh yeah, I'm sure once it's set up it runs pretty smooth but someone has to either aquire or write the programming to make said "wagon" work on the board. It might not be as complicated as I'm thinking Although I'm still pushing to get the entire FSOT an Opt in, by approval only section with post count guidelines for getting in(sort of Like WAHM wares but you can't SEE it if you aren't a member like Sens Subj.) I need sleep, I'm rambling
I think FSOT is what most of the lurkers come here for, so if were were going to do that, we might as well just make the whole board private, which would be nice.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Answering as best as I can:

1. It's not intense in terms of programming. It's all VBulletin settings, literally checking off boxes on the backend of that user's profile.

Actually, this board should already have this, because of the mediation forum.

2. As far as how many users have a shopping addiction.. who knows? But off the top of my head I can think of hundreds of posts where people are hiding their purchases from their partner, or juggling bills while buying $100 wool, or a zillion other things. Plus, it's not just for addicts. Everyone likes a break once in a while, and it'd be nice to have a little mini-community here that was focusing on NOT buying, but still connected by what *is* the world of cloth diapering.

Now, the most important questions:
Quote:
Why would an addict have the self control to put themselves on the wagon in the first place? What would stop them from pulling out just to buy something?
It's a way to be held accountable. I'm not sure how it's held on the other board, but there don't appear to be people jumping on and off willynilly. I believe there is a waiting period before being removed, also. You don't get off just by snapping your fingers, you do have to wait to be removed; admin gets busy kwim?

There are DOZENS of wagon threads here on DS. Daily, weekly, monthly - they are there. So no one seems to have a problem having the self control to get ON it - it's staying there if they feel they need to and need support. And that's where this helps.

It's not perfect, nothing is. It doesn't need to be. It's just a tool to help those who want it.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmommy View Post
I love this idea. there are so many people selling with only like 5 posts, no feedback and no way to know if they are a scammer. I am almost afraid to buy anymore after all the stories of scamming that has gone on in the last few months.
Since the change in Ebay regulations about selling used dipes we have had a huge influx of people wanting to sell here. I am afraid that DS just can not keep it's old rules of letting anyone sell here. We need some sort of measure of safety. Does that make sense? Thanks for reading, Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote