Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how can i change this cluster feeding?

my dd is only 3 weeks old but i was wondering if there is anything i can do to her feeding schedule. she feeds constantly from 7ish until somewhere between 10-12. (nighttime) she will nurse for 5-10min. then 1/2 hour later want to nurse again. no naps in this time either which would be fine if she would give my nipples a break

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Re: how can i change this cluster feeding?

Whenever my los cluster fed, I just went with it because it generally passed after a few days. I know I know, not what you want to hear but it will pass soon mama.

I learned with my first lo that I just had to survive the first three months, and then try to figure out a rhythm.

Sending you sleepy baby vibes for tonight
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Blurberrybuzz
Registered Users

I've never been able to change a cluster feeding. I fully expect it, even with my 8 mo old. He nurses every 30 - 60 minutes for several hours in the night and then crashes. I have found that laying down in bed with baby around the time that he/she would nurse, pop off, nurse etc extended the nursing periods. I found that a good cluster feed meant some sleep for me...lol
Blurberrybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say just go with it and double up on the lanolin ;D Newborns + schedules generally don't mix anyways

Though one thing I do to help extend the feeding is instead of changing him then feeding him, I feed him, then change him, then feed him again. That way he doesn't fall asleep during the feeding and then wake up 20 minutes later still really hungry, the diaper change wakes him up enough to resume feeding a bit more
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
apelilae
Registered Users

It's not advisable to alter her nursing pattern at this point. It's so hard, I know. She sounds like she's going through the three week growth spurt. The ones at 3 and 6 weeks are pretty intense. They grow so much those first few months as you know, so make sure she's getting all that she needs. It'll pass soon. {{{HUGS}}}
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP's on not trying to change or limit her milk schedule. Just snuggle up with the boppy and watch TV or read and enjoy the quiet time. It will pass...
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA with everything that has been said ... my lil one did the same thing ... I just accepted it as part of our daily routine ... it eventually passed.

If they are hungry (wanting to nurse) at that age, they need it!

for you!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama!

This is VERY normal for newborns. This is helping them get the extra milk they need and helping your supply. In fact, 3 weeks is also a growth spurt time.

I would just make sure you have a nice deep latch every time and use lanolin.

My dd2 ALWAYS cluser fed at night for 2-3 hours until she was about 8 months old. She also started STTN at 6 weeks. She was just "tanking up"!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i really should be grateful for the cluster feeding. once i get through it she's usually asleep by 11 pm sleeps til 4:45 bring her to bed nurse and shes out again until 8-9am. it has been like this since our 3rd day home from the hospital.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
kristenkan52
Registered Users

This is normal for babies to want to do, but what worked for me was to help my LO get a full feeding every time he ate. In those early weeks I had to work a bit to perk him up... having him lean over my hand in a kind of sitting position and burping him that way often worked, or tickling his ear. I was never into the cold washcloth idea or other more mean sounding tricks for getting him to wake up. But some babies are tougher than others. When he ate a full 45 minutes or so then he would be done and he ate about every 2-2.5 hours this way. Still a lot of eating but at least you have a little more of a break in between.