Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
bryvaeh's Avatar
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2,476
My Mood:
mamas of twins question!

hey mamas of twins or mamas that know about twins - question for you! i found out my twin boys have separate amniotic sacs and separate placentas. the US tech told me that they are fraternal but now i am reading a twin pregnancy book and it says identical twins can have separate placentas as well. anyone know any info for me? TIA!!

Advertisement

__________________
Alli, mama to Nevaeh (2 1/2 born at 33 weeks), Bryley (1 1/2 born at 33 weeks) ^*twin angels*^, AND twin BOYS Ryder and Cannon (May 12, 2008 at 34 weeks)
Family issues - I will not be around except as needed...Please email me if you need me. Crayon testers will all be out by the end of the week
bryvaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,726
Re: mamas of twins question!

I have heard that too, I can't remember where though. It is my understanding that the only way to know for sure is by testing them after birth. Either way having seperate sacs and placentas gives you the safest kind of twin pg.
__________________
wife to DH, SAHM to
DS 5/98, DD 2/00, DS 5/04, & DS 1/06 and DS 7/08
Jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
3inclothdiapers's Avatar
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,065
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

I don't have twins, but from what I understand, identical twins can either have separate placentas/sacs/etc, OR they can be together. It depends on when they split. Fraternal will always be separate though.

I think the only way you'll know is after birth (or if a later u/s reveals 2 different genders!)
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
bryvaeh's Avatar
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2,476
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

cool i was hoping for identical and since all the twins in my family (mom and dad's side) are identiacl then i have a chance
__________________
Alli, mama to Nevaeh (2 1/2 born at 33 weeks), Bryley (1 1/2 born at 33 weeks) ^*twin angels*^, AND twin BOYS Ryder and Cannon (May 12, 2008 at 34 weeks)
Family issues - I will not be around except as needed...Please email me if you need me. Crayon testers will all be out by the end of the week
bryvaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
autumnlily's Avatar
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,087
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

They absolutely can still be identical! I'm in the same position as you are, my girls have separate everything - and unless they look totally different, I will probably have the blood test done to determine if they are frat or ident.

I was told, I have a 75% chance of fraternal and 25% chance of identical. I did hear though, the further apart the placenta's are from each other, the more likely they are frat. Mine nearly look fused - that's why my Peri is not ruling out identical until we see these girls!

Good luck!
__________________
Mama to Lucy 12/01/05 & twins Etta & Grace 04/01/08.
Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician since 2009
autumnlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
pawillars's Avatar
pawillars
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SCV
Posts: 82
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryvaeh View Post
hey mamas of twins or mamas that know about twins - question for you! i found out my twin boys have separate amniotic sacs and separate placentas. the US tech told me that they are fraternal but now i am reading a twin pregnancy book and it says identical twins can have separate placentas as well. anyone know any info for me? TIA!!
I hadn't heard that. Mine shared a placenta, the only thing that "split" was the cord. It was pretty cool although I freaked out the hospital staff when I asked to see it...They do look nearly exactly alike (I am their mother after all) but the personalities and voices are different. We did participate in a twin study through USC where the fact that they are identical was confirmed, not that I had any doubt.

BTW, my twins are 15 now.
pawillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
bryvaeh's Avatar
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2,476
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnlily View Post
They absolutely can still be identical! I'm in the same position as you are, my girls have separate everything - and unless they look totally different, I will probably have the blood test done to determine if they are frat or ident.

I was told, I have a 75% chance of fraternal and 25% chance of identical. I did hear though, the further apart the placenta's are from each other, the more likely they are frat. Mine nearly look fused - that's why my Peri is not ruling out identical until we see these girls!

Good luck!
i guess that is what i will do with mine - the study i mean my US tech much not have known much since she said that means they are fraternal lol. it is cool that they could be either one though...i guess my placentas were really close too - that is a new fact to me too! thanks!
__________________
Alli, mama to Nevaeh (2 1/2 born at 33 weeks), Bryley (1 1/2 born at 33 weeks) ^*twin angels*^, AND twin BOYS Ryder and Cannon (May 12, 2008 at 34 weeks)
Family issues - I will not be around except as needed...Please email me if you need me. Crayon testers will all be out by the end of the week
bryvaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
Posts: 9,575
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

Mine were in separate sacs and DID have separate placentas (i think?) that fused by the time they came out. Doc said there was a shared something in between them, though, so when they were formed something was still attached between them.
It's just in their best interest to have separate everything anyway. They can still be identical, I forget what the odds are if they have separate sacs and placentas.
That's interesting that both sides have all identical twins since having them doesn't usually have anything to do with genetics!
I've heard it just has more to do with when your egg split if they are ID. So yours probably would have split fairly early on.
There's a great twin board I refer everyone to if you have more of these kinds of questions. If you're interested you can PM me. They are total experts at every single question anymore and helped me out a good deal when I was pg.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Twinvillageiowa's Avatar
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,075
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

You would be amazed how dumb people are. My high risk OB told me that my girls had seperate sacks and placentas, which they did. But he also told me there was no way they were identical. Um, hate to tell ya doc, but they ARE!!!!!! No one else though they were but I just had this gut feeling. We paid to get them tested around 9 months. We ordered a kit through Proactive Genetics. All you have to do is swipe each mouth with a swab and mail it in. They send you a letter with the results. So short answer, yes they can have seperate everything and still be identical. You can also PM me if you ever have twin questions.


And about the placenta thing, my placentas started out totally opposite of eachother and then eventually fused. So I wouldn't put too much stock in location of the placenta....
__________________
Mom of 7 year old identical twin girls and currently due April 24th with our third and final baby girl. Doula, nanny and homemaker.

Last edited by Twinvillageiowa; 02-02-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Twinvillageiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Deanner03's Avatar
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Where the WILD THINGS are
Posts: 7,131
My Mood:
Re: mamas of twins question!

The only way to know for sure is genetic testing. Identical twins can share OR have separate amniotic sacs. Good luck!
My twin and I were told we are fraternal (back then they thought separate meant fraternal) but we look alike.
Now we know that the only way to know for sure would be to have genetic testing done, but we don't really care THAT much!
__________________
Deanna, wife to Matus :wave2: mama to Lukas (5) and Emma (3) , dogmom to Abby, and feather-mom to a WHOLE MESS of chickens, ducks, turkeys & quail.
Deanner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.