Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

If you aren't finding out the gender...

tell me how you planned your layette and nursery!

Here's the thing:

With my next baby (hopefully I'll be pregnant any time now-lol) I won't be finding out the gender. I found out with all three of my boys.

I don't have problem buying gender neutral newborn diapers or clothes, because they grow out of them so fast that the baby won't be in green or yellow or beige for long.

The thing that's driving me crazy is thinking about the nursery. I wouldn't mind a gender neutral nursery if I had another boy, but a girl? BRING ON THE PINK. LOL.

One idea was to pick out everything I wanted ahead of time and save up the money to have it on hand for a big shopping spree post baby. I also thought it would be a fun idea to have a "coming out" party for the baby a few weeks after birth (instead of a baby shower.)

What are the rest of you doing?

Advertisement

ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you aren't finding out the gender...

We have decided not to find out the gender of our next child. We will be TTC in summer.

We thought about the nursery and I'm w/ you. If its a girl I want Pink and purple and fairies!!! I figure the first few months the baby will be in a bassinet in our room anyway so we've decided to keep the nursery just like it is and move Brodin into Keegan's room, so the older two boys will bunk. If the new one is a boy we are all set, no changes necessary. If the new one is a girl daddy has a lot of work to do

I also am buying two take home outfits (and two take home newborn diapers), one very girly and one boyish. I want those first pics to show off their gender, KWIM?

I figure not knowing the gender will keep me from spending too much on fluff! Plus it will be more exciting!

The only thing bumming me out is buying the infant carseat. We'll need a new carseat and if its a girl I want a girl color, not boring navy blue, KWIM?

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
seller

I know what you mean about the carseat! We have a navy blue bucket. I figure I can use that for a few months while we buy a Regent.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
tellymonster1
Registered Users
seller

We dont have a nursery for any of our children. In my religion/culture it is considered bad luck to prepare things before the baby is born and healthy. It is also to prevent you the pain of having to come home empty handed from a loss, and see a room full of baby things.

Anyway, I did not find out the gender of any of my children. Basically, all I had were a few gender neutral coming home outfits a cradle and a carseat. While I was in the hospital, DH went out and bought diapers and my inalws bought us a few essentials. Then once we were home, the gifts started rolling in (we do not do baby showers) and when DS was a few days old, we took him to Babies R Us to buy some things we needed.

My twisn were in the NICU for 5 weeks, so we had time to pick up a few things. And by the time I had #4, all I needed was a coming home outfit and diapers.

I think its fun not knowing the gender and really there is not much to prepare. We have a boys room and a girls room now, but my kids never slept in their bedrooms until they were older.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
apelilae
Registered Users

We plan to not find out with this one. We don't do a nursery for our babies because we cosleep for at least the first four months. With my son, we did buy a gender neutral crib linen set and since he never slept in the nice crib, it's still like new. All of our newborn and small diapers are gender neutral and most of our newborn clothes are too. My son's car seat is gender neutral. He'll be getting a new car seat and the baby will be getting his. We're also planning on doing a naming ceremony when the babe is about four weeks old in lieu of a baby shower. Some of my close friends are getting together for a belly blessing party a few weeks before I'm due.

For you, I'd say put the crib up, put the white sheet on and leave it at that. Create two wish lists or registries, one for boy and one for girl. After the babe is born, select the right list and mail it out to people. Good luck TTC a girl
Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

We don't have a nursery, but for clothes I have no problem going all out GN because I'll be able to use them all with every child we ever have.

As for carseat, we just snagged a nearly discontinued Graco Safeseat so it's black, gray, and has a couple really pretty red stripes. Very GN and MUCH better than blues, which we had with our DD (didn't find out with her either...we never will! ).
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're most likely not going to find out, less by choice than circumstance - our OB doesn't do a 2nd u/s unless trouble is indicated, which bodes well for her being agreeable to my wishes for an intervention-free vbac, but doesn't help us out in getting another u/s.

For the nursery, we're going with a g/n theme, just like we did for dd, even though we knew she'd be a girl. I've picked out an artist I really like to base the color scheme around - Paul Klee - and will be doing the walls a nice yellow, the closet door and dresser (which we got free, but is white and blue currently) a cream with brushed nickel hardware, a yellow/orange/red rag rug that my dh is making (yep...my dh is making it...it was his idea) and a brushed nickel lamp as well as light switch plate and outlet covers. The curtains will be the same colors as the rug, and we'll have a couple of framed Paul Klee prints on the walls. We're re-using dd's old crib, which is a cherry color. Then the fishtank stand (we have to have a fish tank in the baby's room) is also a cherry color. Our furniture won't all match, but it should look nice together. We've got a leftover crib bedding set from dd, which was green/yellow with animals on it. I might get another one with more of a sun theme.

The room is currently the computer room that we're slowly converting. It makes it hard to convert when we're moving the computer stuff into BIL's area in the basement.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
seller

This will be our last baby, and very little has been saved from the baby before. So I will need to buy all new-to-me stuff.

Fortunately, I'm not supersticious whatsoever, so I feel perfectly comfortable purchasing items even before Baby #4 is conceived. Spreading the costs out over the course of a year is more manageable for us.

I didn't have a nursery for my first two children, but with my last son I did. Of course, we co-sleep so he didn't even use it until he was at least 6 months old, but planning and decorating during the pregnancy was very special to me. I picked each piece carefully, every single little thing was purchased second hand, and we refinished and painted most of the furniture. It was my favorite memory of pregnancy and I'd love to do it again for the new baby.

I have been thinking a lot about gender coding, though, and even though I want to shop shop shop for pink and purple and dainty girly items, it might be best to really force myself to look beyond that if we have a daughter. I was thinking maybe oranges or reds?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I am not finding out and I am clueless. I have ships in the boys room. I guess I am going to pick multicolored rather than browns for a blanket but I am not setting up another crib when I have one standing empty.

Good question.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do find out sexes, but still, the nursery is only used 1-3 years or whenever the next child arrives. We picked a neutral (olive green) wall color, wooden furniture and then the sheets were blue, since we knew the sex.

Now with twins on the way, the nursery will be theirs. Only thing changing will be (if they are not both boys) is the sheets.

In the beginning, you can just get one set of white sheets and but rest of it after they are born.