Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Printed Coupons Won't Scan?

I'm kind of new to couponing. I printed coupons from Swagbucks for the first time yesterday and also printed some manufacturer's coupons directly from their websites. My printer works just fine and the ink was clear and legible, but the cashier at Wal-Mart said they wouldn't scan. She asked her manager to try scanning them (I had $30 worth of coupons, so I didn't want to hold up the line but also really didn't want to do without them!) and the manager couldn't get them to scan either. I'm really disappointed and I don't want this to happen again. How can I prevent it from happening next time? I know that the coupons were valid and not counterfeit and the cashier said that she didn't usually have trouble with the scanner accepting coupons.

Advertisement

MamaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have no idea but this happens to me too, strangely enough only at Walmart. At Harris teeter and walgreens the coupons scan just fine.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Printed Coupons Won't Scan?

Hmm... Maybe it's just another sign from the universe that I shouldn't go to Walmart!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I basically never coupon at Walmart, and this is one of the reasons why. I am curious, did they try all of them, or just a couple?

If they tried all or most of them and none of them worked...it COULD be something funky with your printer. But, as others have said, Walmart seems to always have trouble with these, so it's likely something there.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I basically never coupon at Walmart, and this is one of the reasons why. I am curious, did they try all of them, or just a couple?

If they tried all or most of them and none of them worked...it COULD be something funky with your printer. But, as others have said, Walmart seems to always have trouble with these, so it's likely something there.
They tried all of them. So yeah, I guess the issue's on their end. I'll just coupon elsewhere next time.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can I hijack?

I had a store deny a manufacturer's coupon that said "redeemable at Walmart" on it. I thought that was advertising. She CSM was convinced they would get denied when they tired to redeem them with the manufacturer. I was too embarrassed to ask them to return the items on the coupons because my husband works at that store. But I was ticked. Anyone with insight on this?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I print coupons from coupons.com all the time and they work just fine at Walmart. I use the gray scale setting to save my color ink. Is your Walmart an older one? Also, couldn't the cashier manually enter the coupon numbers using the keypad? Or does that long number above the bar code not correlate?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
trish0365
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have always found that if the coupon doesn't have two bar codes (1 larger and 1 smaller) then they won't scan at any store. Most online coupons have limited quantities and the second smaller bar code disappears once the quantity is met. But they don't remove the coupon from the sites. I've wasted a lot of paper, ink, and time because of this problem.
trish0365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I've had this happen a couple times as well, and only at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetabean View Post
Also, couldn't the cashier manually enter the coupon numbers using the keypad? Or does that long number above the bar code not correlate?
I was told they'd do this with any manufacturer's coupon other than ones printed at home. Like they'd enter the number if the coupon was from the paper.

Other stores have manually entered the number, though. My coupons often would not scan at Publix and they always entered it.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Can I hijack?

I had a store deny a manufacturer's coupon that said "redeemable at Walmart" on it. I thought that was advertising. She CSM was convinced they would get denied when they tired to redeem them with the manufacturer. I was too embarrassed to ask them to return the items on the coupons because my husband works at that store. But I was ticked. Anyone with insight on this?
The cashier is just flat out wrong here. A manuf. Q is a manuf. Q and a store Q is a store Q. The ONLY time that what the cashier said would be correct would be ig the fine print, you know where it gives retailer direction on where to send it, says " redeemable ONLY at Walmart. I give this answer both as a die hard couponer and as a cashier at a store full of couponers who religiously reads all the materials corporate puts out. I won't claim to be an expert but pretty close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetabean View Post
I print coupons from coupons.com all the time and they work just fine at Walmart. I use the gray scale setting to save my color ink. Is your Walmart an older one? Also, couldn't the cashier manually enter the coupon numbers using the keypad? Or does that long number above the bar code not correlate?
not all Qs have that barcode number. And even I occasionally forget to try to enter it manually like that. Plus, I think it depends on how the POS is set up. According to the updates we got last week, we are supposed to just manually enter the coupon amount, at CVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish0365 View Post
I have always found that if the coupon doesn't have two bar codes (1 larger and 1 smaller) then they won't scan at any store. Most online coupons have limited quantities and the second smaller bar code disappears once the quantity is met. But they don't remove the coupon from the sites. I've wasted a lot of paper, ink, and time because of this problem.
I have never heard such a thing. The smaller bar codes are older style bsrcodes that are being phased out. If you look at newspaper insert Qs, most no longer have the short one, only the long one. The long ones are supposed to be more accurate regarding expire dates snd such. Most online coupons have a print limit of 2 per computer, and many also have an over all limit. When either limit is reached, it just won't print anymore. It will usually give you a message that sayd something like "you have reached your print limit" or "this offer is no longer available. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
I've had this happen a couple times as well, and only at Wal-Mart.

I was told they'd do this with any manufacturer's coupon other than ones printed at home. Like they'd enter the number if the coupon was from the paper.

Other stores have manually entered the number, though. My coupons often would not scan at Publix and they always entered it.
At cvs, we are supposed to press the manuf. Coupon button, then enter the $ off amount on the Q, and the computer takes that off. That in the pspers they sent down almost 2 wks ago now.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote