Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OMG make it go away

OK so i am soooo stressing out right now.. A few weeks ago DS was a few weeks old and was having a very very hard time sleeping and would refuse the boob if offered, so we gave in and gave him a nuk. I knew it was a bad idea at the time but i never knew it would turn into such an issue.. He is now obssessed with it, he will nurse for maybe 10 minutes then pop off and scream until i give it to him, then he will happly suck all day... I want to be that nuk, i am afraid that it will hurt any extended nursing relationship we will ever have, I want to take it away but he will scream for hours and i dont want that either. Any ideas, i know it has to go NOW.:dizzy:

Advertisement

katzmark06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: OMG make it go away

Is he having enough wet diapers?? If he is, I wouldn't worry about the pacifier...he is using it to soothe himself...believe me, I have a 16 month old nurser who STILL uses me for a paci...I would LOVE for him to take one so I don't have to nurse him 72 times a day when he gets his feelings hurt, lol! But, seriously, he could just be a quick nurser (mine both were/are) with a really big need to suck. As long as his diapers are wet, I wouldn't stress about it. My DD was BF'd and kept her paci till she was 2.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
EGAsmummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

HI,
I was wondering how old your baby is now and does he seem uncomfortable after the 10 min of nursing ie. gas pain, arching his back? I'm no expert, been breastfeeding my DD for 5 1/2 months, would like to help if possible.
Alison
EGAsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he is 5/6 weeks
katzmark06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my almost 10 month old will sometimes stop nursing, put his paci in, suck on it a few seconds, and then resume nursing. he is in love with the stupid thing. i wish i had never let him have it (nurse at the hospital gave it to them). but like the others said, if he is getting enough, try not to worry about it. however- it is a good time to take it away if you really don't want him to have it. just throw them out, and then you can't give it to him. you can let him suck on your finger, or if you are feeling like a good laugh, your chin. my boys always found my chin and it was so funny to me.

i hope you find something you can all live with. good luck.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Maybe at 5 wks he is having tummy troubles and nursing only makes him feel worse but the paci gives him comfort. Are you making sure you burp enough, have you tried different positions w/ nursing to see if it makes a difference. MY LC told me that sometimes using a boppy/ pillow puts there tummy too high and can cause more gas and such. If you need to prop him up just use something under his head/your arm to keep that part up but the rest of his body lower, it helped my DD, she had terrible colic. HTH

Good luck w/ the paci, I know it can be a love hate relationship.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
EGAsmummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My LC said that babies have a different suck for the pacifier vs the breast so I wouldn't be too concerned as long as he is making enough wet/poopy diapers and is gaining weight. He may just be a quick nurser, consider yourself lucky if that's the case. My DD would nurse for 1-1 1/2 hrs at that age.
good luck
EGAsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote