Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Who here is hsing their sn kids?

We've been hsing for 8 years now and my dd who is autism spectrum this is her first year, she is K. She learns very well and does well educationally, but does have major perfection, attention, and other behavior issues as we do school.

Just wondering who else homeschools too?
Alison

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
EmmieSuesbabyboutique
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who here is hsing their sn kids?

mine would LOVE me to, but I just can't bring myself to want to HS.

10% off for a limited time. http://www.lenabrowndesings.com for all your knitting and crochet needle cases
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do but we are early in the journey. It is interesting with Kearnan to say the least. He tests out at genius level IQ but is also autistic. He is 6.5yrs old. He has some disgraphia (I believe that is it) he can't hold a pencil correctly or press hard enough to write. So when we are working he understands all of the concepts well ahead of his age level, but can't complete things because he can't write. He also learns better from the computer than from people. At first it was really bothering me. I felt like I wasn't doing things right. then I remembered I home school because I want to do things the way Kearnan needs them done. And this is the way he needs them done. Not like i planned but that doesn't matter. We do child led learning right now. I encourage him a bit more than alot of parents who cild led learn, but he is a kind of special case too.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, you do have a special boy! That would be challenging for you as the teacher though. That is awesome that your are hsing him so that he will be challenged, but yet also get help with what he needs. We are basically doing child led with our dd too.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
bebelabella
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really want to start homeschooling my son. The only reason I haven't is because I can barely, if that, get him to do his homework with me. I thought that how could I teach him at all if he won't let me help him with his homework. But then recently realizing that if he is not in public school at all things may be different. So he was home all last week and I decided that I am really going to look into it. He has ADHD and some other learning disabilities. He is in the process of being diagnosed. His doctor thinks he has asperger's (sp?).

Can any one send me some links on homeschooling special needs children? Or I would also like to know how it is going for you? ; )
bebelabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebelabella View Post
I really want to start homeschooling my son. The only reason I haven't is because I can barely, if that, get him to do his homework with me. I thought that how could I teach him at all if he won't let me help him with his homework. But then recently realizing that if he is not in public school at all things may be different. So he was home all last week and I decided that I am really going to look into it. He has ADHD and some other learning disabilities. He is in the process of being diagnosed. His doctor thinks he has asperger's (sp?).

Can any one send me some links on homeschooling special needs children? Or I would also like to know how it is going for you? ; )
Here are some links:
http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com...dschildren.php

http://home.earthlink.net/~tammyglaser798/cmason.html

www.amblesideonline.org do a search for special needs

Also Nathan is a homeschool org. that helps people with special needs. Not sure of the website, but you could google it.

It is going somewhat well for us. My dd is only in K, so it isn't too bad right now. I think she is doing well. We have to be very flexible and patient with teaching though. We take lots of breaks and try to do activitiy between assignments. Our dd is pddnos but is very close to AS type of characteristics and has a very high activity level as well. She has Sensory disorder too. She does have a very short attention span at times, so we do short lessons and try to plug away at it. I think she does much better at home than she would do at school She does sometimes listen to other adults better than to me, such as at church or grandparents. But if she was in school, I think her anxiety and also social problems would get in the way of her learning. You kinda have to figure out the pros and cons for your child. You could always try hsing and see if it worked for both of you and if it didn't try school.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've thought about it, but I don't know if I'd be able to. He'll just be entering kindergarten this coming fall. I'm not too impressed with the school district here, so I don't know how long it'll last. We might be switching to homeschooling later. We have a high functioning autism charter school near by that I would love to get him into. He's on the list, but it's done by lottery so I don't know if he'll even be able to go to K there or not.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug2003 View Post
We have a high functioning autism charter school near by that I would love to get him into. He's on the list, but it's done by lottery so I don't know if he'll even be able to go to K there or not.
Wow, that sounds great! I've never even heard of such a school!! I think I'd consider that if we had that option.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

I've been homeschooling for 6 years now. I homeschool all of my kids, including the SN kiddos. There have been times when I've entertained the thought of putting some of the SN kids into the school system. But, Dh always brings me back to reality and reminds me that if I struggle with them, the school system would simply fail them.

I was oh so close to putting the child with RAD into school for this school year. But, ultimately I just thought doing that would make his issues worse. As it turned out, he's doing beautifully in school now, and my decision to delay him for a year was perfect for his needs. Amazingly, he loves schooling so much his attachment issues really don't play a big part of our interaction, at least when it comes to schooling.

Our newest technically can't be homeschooled when he gets here. He'll be a foster child until we are able to finalize his adoption, which will take at least 6 months after homecoming. However, his doctors are in full agreement to our desire to keep him in the home and will be writing a letter declaring homebound medically necessary. I've already spoken with the IEP cordinator for the district and once we have the doctor's letter for homebound, they said it will merely be a matter of paperwork to put him homebound on his IEP. So, until we finalize, he will be on homebound, which I'm told we can expect approximately 3-4 hours of instruction from a school teacher weekly (current IEP calls for 10 hours in the school system weekly). So yes, we'll homeschool him but technically and legally it will be homebound with the school until finalization.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat View Post
Wow, that sounds great! I've never even heard of such a school!! I think I'd consider that if we had that option.
I think it's the first in the nation. It's a wonderful school and children are getting the help they really need instead of falling through the cracks like they do at traditional public schools.