Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
noramommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Who here is hsing their sn kids?

I had been interested in hsing prior to my daughter's birth - she is now 2 1/2. I am still interested, but a major problem for me is my husband, a public school teacher. He thinks it is a major issue if his own children don't go to public school since that is his employment. I sort of think that by being a teacher he would be all that more supportive of hsing in certain situations. Anyway, I haven't yet been able to have a civil conversation with him about the benefits and drawbacks of both choices.

Advertisement

noramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noramommy View Post
I had been interested in hsing prior to my daughter's birth - she is now 2 1/2. I am still interested, but a major problem for me is my husband, a public school teacher. He thinks it is a major issue if his own children don't go to public school since that is his employment. I sort of think that by being a teacher he would be all that more supportive of hsing in certain situations. Anyway, I haven't yet been able to have a civil conversation with him about the benefits and drawbacks of both choices.
My MIL is a teacher and she has been one of my biggest supporters. She had her kids in all different settings. Dh was public schooled, home schooled and private schooled. MIL thinks home schooling is best. She teaches in a private school, and all of her kids had to attend it (school policy, it is more like a cult to me, but whatever). I dont' see why a teachers child would have to be in their school. You would think he would see all of the bad of public school and want your child at home.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
qtvixen
Registered Users

I plan on HSing my 3.5yo ASD son. we're currently up enough from the time he regressed, that he can do preschool type activities now (very limited still). & since he turned 3yo & had to be under the PS system for services, i realized just absolutely how much he will NOT be going to this elementary school (the rest of the district doesn't sound any better either sadly). since his regression & needing therapy so much, we integrated it at home so really we've BEEN homeschooling since then (& since birth as lots of HS parents say), it just changes as they age. we've kept a very intensive program at home for therapy & he's made leaps & bounds in his progress.
i'm sure it's going to drive me batty in the years to come, but really, it's the best i can offer him & i fully believe he'll learn & respond better by a tailored HS program of education than he would even THINK of in an industrial PS system.
~marcia~
& my new Angel Robert Logan (4*18*08)~~
qtvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
sonuptosondown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're homeschooling our 3 kiddos, and the oldest has been diagnosed with Asperger's. While we're not sure yet this is really his issue, he definitely has special needs and I don't think regular school would work for him. I imagine he would handle the stress either by shutting down or being a bully.
It's very hard at times to have a sn kiddo, let alone be responsible for his schooling at home, but it's really the best thing for him and us at this time. There are really wonderful days, too

To one of the pp who mentioned her dh is a school teacher--there is a book "Family Matters" that you might want to check out about a public school teacher whose kids homeschool. I forget the author--David something? An amazon search will bring it right up. It's an awesome book.

I'm really feeling I need to find a support network with other moms hs'ing sn kids, especially Aspergers or oppositional defiant disorder.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
qtvixen
Registered Users

sonup-
depending where you live, it might not be too hard to find a sn hs group. i'm in va & in our area there's a gigantic hs group in the yahoo groups; they do get togethers & playdates, etc; b/c of them, i was able to find a local sn group (not ALL hs as they're all trying to tailor to their sn kids, but most do), but they get together for playdates, etc. this group all seems to be close in age to my son so it's nice, & lol we all seem to be pregnant too . but i'd suggest playing w/ search terms & the yahoo groups & see just what you can find, i never EVER thought i'd have stumbled into the groups i have, it's awsome.
~marcia~
& my new Angel Robert Logan (4*18*08)~~
qtvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
candy-eyed
Registered Users

We HS our kids including our SN child
candy-eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
MANISACO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so inspired by all of you. I have considered homeschooling, but haven't committed yet. DH is against it. My oldest does excellent at school academically, but social skills are nil. He also has fine motor skill difficulties and some sensory issues. We are in the process of getting him diagnosed. Pediatrician thinks we may be looking at the autism spectrum. DS begs to be homeschooled at times. All my kids just love learning.

Michelle
Wife to Greg, SAHM to Matt (2/98), Nick (6/00), Sarah (12/04), and Colby (10/07)
MANISACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will be homeschooling my daughter who is a type-one diabetic. Much to risky to put her into the hands of a public school right now.
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #19
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tried . We made it through almost 4 mos, but with 3 with special needs I was going crazy (and there was WAY too much crying going on). Wish I could've done it!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

I HS an Aspie child. He does so much better than he ever did in a PS and shoudl be getitng his online diploma and starting college at age 17 years!
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote