Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Brown Rice?

Ive started to use brown rice instead of white rice...and it has a weird texture..is this normal? it feels like the grain is spit in two...Am I overcooking it??

Advertisement

Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brown Rice?

I guess it depends on what brand you are using. I think it's normal, but I don't eat white rice so I don't know. We have been using Uncle Bens brown rice and also rice from the bulk area at Whole Foods. I like Uncle Bens b/c it doesn't stick together like the kind at WF. Unfortunately, it probably isn't as healthy as WF's rice.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
esoloj
Registered Users
seller

I think that's normal. It does have a bit of different texture than white rice. I personally don't like it but some textures of foods just bother me.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Well, good to know Im not something wrong...Is White rice really that bad for you?? Id rather have white...whats the difference in long grain? If I can add a nutrient food in somewhere to my kids who are repulsed at vegetables and any sort of healthy eating if its not hidden, then its a good thing,
Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
journey
Banned
seller

Brown rice should have more of a bite to it, like noodles cooked al dente.

Brown rice is simply white rice that has not had the bran covering the rice grains removed. Removing the bran is done so that the rice is fluffier and cooks faster. Since brown rice still has the bran intact, it is a much better source of fiber. In fact a cup of brown rice has three and one-half grams of fiber while white rice has less than one gram of fiber.

Another benefit from eating brown rice is caused by the fiber slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates. This will help tame the blood-sugar roller coaster that can happen from a high sugar-low fiber meal. Fiber also has a healthy effect on our cholesterol levels and may help to reduce this risk of cardiovascular disease.

Besides the fiber found in the brown rice, the bran contains nutrients like magnesium, manganese, and zinc. White rice has reduced levels of these nutrients, but is often fortified with iron, and some B vitamins.
journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey View Post
Brown rice should have more of a bite to it, like noodles cooked al dente.

Brown rice is simply white rice that has not had the bran covering the rice grains removed. Removing the bran is done so that the rice is fluffier and cooks faster. Since brown rice still has the bran intact, it is a much better source of fiber. In fact a cup of brown rice has three and one-half grams of fiber while white rice has less than one gram of fiber.

Another benefit from eating brown rice is caused by the fiber slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates. This will help tame the blood-sugar roller coaster that can happen from a high sugar-low fiber meal. Fiber also has a healthy effect on our cholesterol levels and may help to reduce this risk of cardiovascular disease.

Besides the fiber found in the brown rice, the bran contains nutrients like magnesium, manganese, and zinc. White rice has reduced levels of these nutrients, but is often fortified with iron, and some B vitamins.
Wow, I guess there are more benefits than I need...and I need all the Zinc I can get..hubby says so, LMBO( Zinc helps increase Sex drive )
Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

i know from using a rice cooker to cook it, you need to add more water to cook it as well as cook it a tad bit longer.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
jachales
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids are big rice eaters and I've tried brown rice before and nobody ate it. Last night I ran out of white rice - only had 1/2 cup and we had company so I also made brown rice and mixed the two. My kids ate the brown/white mixture with no problem I'm definately going to keep doing this and slowly decrease the white.
jachales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
velcromom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachales View Post
My kids are big rice eaters and I've tried brown rice before and nobody ate it. Last night I ran out of white rice - only had 1/2 cup and we had company so I also made brown rice and mixed the two. My kids ate the brown/white mixture with no problem I'm definately going to keep doing this and slowly decrease the white.
That's pretty much what I did and now I can serve whole grain pilaf to them and they don't even blink. I really like Kashi's seven-grain pilaf, you can use it in so many different ways and it actually has a really nice flavor.

Our other favorite grain is quinoa, it's good for dishes where you used to use white rice. Makes a nice hot cereal for breakfast too. It's nice and light, but do not forget to rinse it before cooking or it will be bitter.
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote