Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is this pain?

I just had my 3rd baby- my other 2 children were also breastfed and i never went through this, so i need some advice.

My milk came in this past Tuesday (so 3 days ago). everything is going pretty well aside from this pain in my left breast that is KILLING me.
Its sharp pains going throughout my whole breast.
It almost has the same feeling as if im engorged, but im not.
I just got done nursing ds about 15 minutes ago on my left side and now the pain is back.
the pain starts at my nipple (where its the worse) and spreads out.

any idea what this could be?

Advertisement

serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is this pain?

The pain sounds similar to what I felt when I had mastitis. At first I felt like I was coming down with the flu, then I noticed my breast was sore. Are you running a fever? Have you noticed a lump anywhere that could be a clogged duct? I wouldn't think this would be a problem with your milk only coming in a few days ago, though.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by halyled
The pain sounds similar to what I felt when I had mastitis. At first I felt like I was coming down with the flu, then I noticed my breast was sore. Are you running a fever? Have you noticed a lump anywhere that could be a clogged duct? I wouldn't think this would be a problem with your milk only coming in a few days ago, though.

i havent noticed a lump, but i will keep an eye out.
and no i dont have a fever, besides being tired, i feel fine
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Sara315
Registered Users

You may have a pluged duct, that can lead to mastasis (sp?). Have baby eat from that breast first. Point lower jaw in the spot where the pain is. This will get the milk flowing again. If the spot is on the upper part then lay baby upside down to you on the bed. Carry baby in a sling with your shirt off to incourage BF. If it gets worse then see a DR. Hope it clears quickly. Oh try (haha ya right w/ older kids) to get lots of rest.
Sara315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had that same kind of pain when I had my DD. It was a/b 3 weeks pp and I had what you are describing! I soon realized it was a clogged duct. I nursed my DD on that side first. Try warm/hot compresses. While in the shower/bath take some soap and lather your breast and massage from the base of you breast (mostly where it hurts) to your nipple. If you feel a lump then work it toward your nipple. Try to have your DS nurse a LOT and in different positions to help the flow all over your breasts. GL and I hope it feels better soon! b/c I know how it feels!!!!

Btw...I read in one of my BF books that if it's a pulling type of pain (I had it under my breast for a/b 3 months pp) then it's a sudden rush of milk filling your breast. Just thought a/b that and thought I would give my ...LOL!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #6
skayers01
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by halyled
I got mastisis just a few days after Ashton was born. I never even felt a lump, I just woke up with a horrible fever and really bad chills. I have never shaken that hard in my life! It sucked! I had to have antibiotics. Although the 24 hour bedrest was nice!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 AM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

massage both breasts frequently you might have a clogged duct and this will prevent them from forming.
if you get a fever, jump in the shower, i got mastitis with my son and had no idea what it was, you will need to go to the dr for antibiotics, i hope you feel better
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Check your nipple carefully for cracks. I had a sharp pain when DS was nursing (and he was my 4th, never had this before). It turned out to be a cracked and bleeding nipple, but it was on the underneath where it was harder to notice at first. Whatever it turns out to be, I suggest calling your OB right away. There's no reason to be in pain when you're bfing, and help may be available.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
ahava'smama
Registered Users

I had similar pain with dd2 The hospital gave me a cream (she was a really good latcher) They also suggested a different way to get her to latch that relieved some of the pain. My good friend though had mastitis and tea tree oil helps with it! if you apply it to the location of the most pain. I hope it goes away for you, I always had to talk myself into nursing dd2 and after like four attempts every time I would have her on with me wincing. I hope it isn't that bad for you! But good news, it goes away! Blessings to you serena!