Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
night weaning?

so a little background

my daughter started to sleep through the night or only get up once back in september

She is now 8 months corrected back to 6months 3 weeks, and starting 2 weeks ago, she started to get up every couple of hours during the night

She is nursing then going back to sleep...sometimes with bad gas, sometimes not

she is also not napping well. We were just starting to get the morning nap down - the afternoon nap was still a bit of a struggle. We are doing a 2 hour nap schedule during the day--I put her down for a nap with nursing 2 hours after she gets up...she used to go for 2.5 hours...now I get 30 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out if she NEEDS to eat or if she is getting up becuase of gas or teething and can't get back to sleep or other reasons

is it appropriate to night ween at 8 months...or should I be waiting at LEAST a year?

I plan to bf until 2 years at least.

I don't want to push her if she isn't ready...but if she is just nursing for comfort at this age, I'd like to help her transition to a lovey...

If i didn't have to get up to go to work for 7:30 5 days a week, I wouldn't care, but I'm exhausted.

I'm off dairy and wheat at this point...dairy for a long time, wheat just recently to see if that was what was bothering her...though it never seemed to before.

Any insight would be appreciate...ARGH, why can't she just talk LOL

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
apelilae
Registered Users

Re: night weaning?

You can totally night wean at this point if you need to. It is generally recommended to avoid nighttime changes until 1 year, but if it's for the benefit of your healthy and sanity, go for it. However, I must warn 8 months until about 11/12 months, sleeping and napping sucks! So many babies I know sleep horribly during this period due to neurological advances, motor skill advances, teething, growth spurts, etc. Nightweaning might help, but it might not. Like anything, if you think it's worth a shot, try it for a couple of night. I say a couple because it'll help you see if it's really working or not. If it doesn't work, you can always nurse at night again then nightwean later.

I will warn you, usually the first couple of nights are killer. If you can, try it on a Thursday night or weekend. If you have family that can help you in the area or a hubby, that might be helpful just in case you need to catch up on your sleep during the day. Dr. Jay Gordon has some great tips for this process.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have similar issues here (although my little man was full term).

He is almost 8 months old and, lately, is up anywhere from 3-6 times per night. (The 6 times nights really do me in!).

So... you're not alone! And... I'd also love to hear lots of advice!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if it's just the development, I can ride it out (i think)

I want to be sure i'm meeting her needs you know...
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama!

When dd2 was 6 months old, she went through a huge growth spurt and somewhat bad seperation anxiety stage around the same time.

She had been STTN since she was 6 weeks old until then. During this time she was up atleast 2-3 times per night. It lasted about 3 weeks.

Personally, I would ride it out for a few weeks and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you for teh support...

we'll ride it out
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

last night she got up at midniight to eat...really ate a lot...then slept until 5 when she got up....hopefully this is an indication that we are getting back on track...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep! Also, comfort nursing is fine, but if she nursed a lot, then she really needed it. Way to go, mama!!!

ETA: dd3 has been waking up 2-3 times for the past week also. I do miss my "full" night's sleep, but I am so glad I can meet her needs when they arise also.

Last edited by ajane; 02-06-2008 at 02:41 PM.
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she went into day care on dec 3 and was sick from dec 6 through mid jan...in face, the didn't gain a single ounce between dec 28 and jan 28

maybe she is now playing catchup...

I too am glad I can meet her needs...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
aimeejf
Registered Users
seller

I wish I could offer some advice, but I didn't night wean my DD until 15 months... and my DS is still going strong at 14 months, waking still 2 or 3 times a night. With my DD, I knew she didn't need it anymore and felt ok with night weaning... with my DS, though, he's just so busy and distractable during the day, that I feel he really still needs it at night. He's a peanut and very tiny, too, so I want to encourage him to get all the calories he can. That being said, I'm a SAHM and probably get more hours in bed than you do. You will know what's right for you and and your kiddo... I'm sure that you would be fine to night wean her as long as your sure she's satisfied during the day. You have to do what's best for all of you!