Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #21
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: MOPS?

Natrat80~~~ Tks so much for the info im not sure if we even have a MOPs group in my town.

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #22
Natrat80
Registered Users
seller

mama23boys You can go to mops.org and you can search by zip code for a MOPS group in your area! Let me know if you have any other ??
Natrat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 PM   #23
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone that might not want a Christian-based Moms group.

I'm part of a MOMS Club (another international Moms group, www.momsclub.org). It's not christian based. We do a lot of the same things that the MOPS group does. I pay $25 a year. We have monthly meetings with food, crafts for kids and speakers as well as many weekly activities/parties. We also have a monthly Moms Night Out and several family nights a year.

Just another option for those of us who aren't Christian and might not feel right about attending a Christian-based Moms group.

BTW, I've heard wonderful things about MOPS. My SIL is very active in her MOPS group.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #24
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also joined the MOMS club in my community and it's been a wonderful resource to me as a new mom. When my DD came, several of the moms brought us meals and I had never even met them! I'm just now getting out a little more b/c DD has acid reflux and A LOT of inconsolable crying. It's been really nice to have other SAHM in my community that I know are there if I need them.

I'm also looking forward to the MOPS program, since I am a Christian, I'm looking for additional encouragment and meet other Christian women. I'm very glad that the MOPS program isn't just for Christians since ALL moms need encouragment, love and support.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #25
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started attending a local MOPS group last spring, and wish I would have found it sooner. One of the first speakers I heard was a middle-aged lady talking about new moms and how they need friendship and support. I almost brought me to tears--that's exactly what I needed to hear and was looking for!

It's great to be able to go to a predictable place each week, know that your dc will be taken care of, and have time to yourself with other people you have things in common with. I can't wait to go back this fall! I will have a tiny newborn, but they're great about having your nursing babies with you. There's also another mama in my small group who cd's. I guess the fees vary depending on your location and the how much of the cost the host church can defray. Our particular group has a few paid workers and the rest of the moms rotate on nursery duty every few months. Depending on where you live, sometimes there are multiple groups that meet on different days in different locations, so you could even try a couple of different ones to see which one you mesh with the best.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #26
LinzluvsGJ
Registered Users

The attitude towards parenting styles varies a lot among groups. The evening group I attended last year rarely ever approached the subject of discipline methods, etc., but it was also a lot of working moms who had their children in daycare, and it was a shorter meeting time. The daytime group I attend has a mix... more punitive than AP. I have had some issues with it in the past because there are a number of ladies in the group who follow the Pearls which makes me sick to my stomach. I spoke up and got them to stop endorsing it outloud in meetings though I was treated like I was a leper for that.... but as long as the discipline aspects of parenting are avoided, I generally feel okay about the group. I know many groups have different mixes of people and therefore different treatment of the topics.

Mommy to 5!
LinzluvsGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #27
mtollie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ
The attitude towards parenting styles varies a lot among groups. The evening group I attended last year rarely ever approached the subject of discipline methods, etc., but it was also a lot of working moms who had their children in daycare, and it was a shorter meeting time. The daytime group I attend has a mix... more punitive than AP. I have had some issues with it in the past because there are a number of ladies in the group who follow the Pearls which makes me sick to my stomach. I spoke up and got them to stop endorsing it outloud in meetings though I was treated like I was a leper for that.... but as long as the discipline aspects of parenting are avoided, I generally feel okay about the group. I know many groups have different mixes of people and therefore different treatment of the topics.

What is Pearls? I haven't even heard of that one!

Thanks mamas for sharing all your experiences - we're moving to Seattle (thus where I am looking for the MOPS group), and it seems that the parenting scene is a bit "crunchier" there than most places. It's funny, I don't really even consider myself AP or crunchy, but alot of the choices I've made about parenting, just because it was what felt right to me, are certianly more on that end of the spectrum. I took my dd for her 2 year checkup today in small town NC where my parents live and the dr. told me she'd never had a patient that breastfed as long as I did (21 months), and she'd never seen a CD like dd's of course! Normal occurrences for all of you I know...

Anyway, I think I'll try a MOPs group and we'll see how it goes... one of my tactics is to investigate the church the group is offered through (mostly through their website) to see if their beliefs, style, activities, etc. line up with what I agree with.... it's nice to have choices in a big city!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #28
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtollie
What is Pearls? I haven't even heard of that one!
Yeah, what is Pearls?

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #29
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone that has posted info on this. I have found a local one about 20 min. from me so I'm going to try that one first. There are no dues as the church takes care of it for the group! I have a few other groups i could try the next closest being 45 min then 1 hr. We'll see. I'm excited!
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #30
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

If the Pearls you are talking about (correct me of courseif I am wrong) are a couple who wrote some assinine parenting books that basically advocates that you should "switch" your children when they do the wrong thing and repeat until they no longer do the wrong thing. They call it "training".
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote