Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Re: Formula Help:(

I just wanted to say that my son had a similar problem when he was on Similac Advance and switching formula (we stuck with nestle good start soy in the end) made a huge difference. so if he doesn't have reflux maybe try switching brands.

Advertisement

worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama!

Definitely get him checked by the ped for reflux.

The formula I always recommend is Nestle Good Start Supreme. Please bear with me - I HATE Nestle as a company, but there is no other formula that uses 100% whey proteins. Similac, store brands, Enfamil etc use a mixture of whey and casein which is harder for a baby's stomach to digest. I would be in seventh heaven if some other companies would start offering this, but I'm not aware of any that have.

For the gas, get some generic gas drops (Mylicon is simply too expensive in my opinion; walmart's brand is like less then half the price.) Mix the bottle of formula, open it BACK up, add .4 mil of gas drops to the bottle and shake again. Not only will all the bubbles in the bottle go away (which can lead to gas etc), but it'll help in your DS's system too. It's almost impossible to OD on gas drops so you can do this with every bottle; my ped suggested it.

I'm not familiar with the Dr Brown's bottles, but I like the Playtex nursers; there's a disc on the bottom of the bottle to force the air out of the bottle liner all the way up the nipple, and then when baby feeds there's no air left in the bottle for them to swallow.

Just my ! I hope your kiddo feels better soon!
ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #13
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins switched from breastmilk to Similac at about 6wks and they did horribly with it. Gassy, spitting up and such... I ended up switching to whatever WIC gave us which was Enfamil at the time and they were fine. I don't know if it was just the Similac or what?
My other boys did fine with whatever I gave them, Nathen it was Enfamil and Joey was Similac Advanced since WIC had switched to that by '04. With my 5th guy I BFd for 4 mos and he has a milk allergy that was causing eczema so he's been on Soy every since. I have tried to introduce dairy products here and there, certain baby foods w/ milk or cheese in it and he still gets rashy so we're stickin' with soy! The soy formula cans all say "works in 3 days" as far as fussiness and spitting up. Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I feel so much better informed by hearing from you all I will go there tonight and ask questions. Now that I have researched it and stuff, i really think he has reflux. Hopefully they will try to help it! Wish me luck we go tonight.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I hope you get some answers mamma, and from what I know about reflux in infants they tend to outgrow it so hopefully it will eventually end.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

Hi. Just wanted to add my 3 cents worth. My triplets have reflux. they were hospitalized for 8 days with it at 2 months old. unfortunately, if it is reflux, your baby may get worse before he gets better. 3 months-4 months was the peak for us, but mine were 8 weeks early, so it may be more like 1-2 mos for you. not sure.

anyway--we went through 6 different formulas and as many meds. my suggestion is if they suggest reglan, say 'no'. my trio was on thsi med for reflux and it made them miserable. as it turns out it has some really nasty side effects--like hallucinating and stomach cramping that nobody that little should experience. there is also some evidence that it might cause permanent neurological damage. Plus--there are so many other options such as Zantac, Axid, Carafate, Prevacid--the only thing that worked for my trio) and I think even prilosec.

Also--you can add rice cereal to the formula rather than buying A.R. Alot of people have luck with Good start formula. It didn't work for us. Alimentum is supposed to be better for sensitive tummies too. if it is reflux, fell free to email me. we have ALOT of experience with this subject unfortunately.
sunshinebabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama,

It *could* be reflux but I've heard of babies having this issue for more reasons as well.

Spitting up 1 oz is mild in comparrison. Babies who have issues with milk are generally puking across the room the entire bottle. LOL If he's only eating a few ounces that is a lot though.

The gasiness he is experiencing is from ALL the iron in Similac. It's loaded with it. That is also the cause of the constipaiton.

My ds was doing almost everything your dc is doing (except he didn't puke that much up at a time...well, maybe sometimes....LOL).

Similac and Isomil Advanced w/iron SUCK IMO if you have a baby like we do. LOL Too hard to digest and horried on the bowels because of the "advanced" formula they now make and because of all of the IRON. Results in spitting up, crying after eating (painful gas), constipation.

We switched to Nestle Carnation Good Start SUPREME. THAT DID IT! DS still had bowel issues but he's almost 3 now and still does so it's just his body (his dad was the same way when he was a baby/toddler).

My dd was on Similac w/ Iron (this was 10 yrs ago so no "advanced" formula was out then). She ate fine but did have the constipation and could burp like a MONSTER!! OMG it was crazy! DS can do it too though! LOL

She was ALWAYS constipated. So, Dr/family said to put a small amount of DARK Karo syrup in the bottom of the bottle (just a small amount - to slightly cover the bottom of the bottle tsp ??) and that acted as a stool softner. Way better than JUICE! AND, you'll only need to do it once or twice a week (can't remember how many times per week we did it). I'd just give it to her and wait 24 hrs for results (normally it didn't need that long to work). Go until I saw her straining or saw hard stools and give it to her again.

HTH! Good luck tonight.

BTW, a lot of babies with reflux scream and scream and scream, while eating. They'll drink a little, then want to sit up and SCREAM then they are hungry so you give it to them again, again, they stop eating and start screaming. Then, they puke a lot!

My old best friend ebf and her ds would do this. Turned out he had GERD (or is it GURD)?.

ETA: My neighbors dd (has downs) and has GERD and they prescribed Zantac/tec. Worked wonders for her! Met a mama at the airport a week ago and her dd had it to and she used Zantec too and it worked. No side effects to speak of for both of them.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 08-21-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #18
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I just got ready to feed formula to hold us over for the night until we see dr thinking that it was heavier instead of powder, but of course I ended up wearing that as well. I was just on my health insurance site and was seeing if he was put on a "special formula" if our insurance would pay? it said with a preauthorization. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks again mommas
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #19
Bare Bottom Gear
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx
Hi mama!

Definitely get him checked by the ped for reflux.

The formula I always recommend is Nestle Good Start Supreme. Please bear with me - I HATE Nestle as a company, but there is no other formula that uses 100% whey proteins. Similac, store brands, Enfamil etc use a mixture of whey and casein which is harder for a baby's stomach to digest. I would be in seventh heaven if some other companies would start offering this, but I'm not aware of any that have.
Just had to say that I agree with this totally! We looked at every cheap and name brand formula to see if they were made with the exact same stuff Good Start is and NONE of them do.

AND

My son had huge issues with the way we fixed the bottles (bubbles = gassiness, burping, crying).

Try doing this for powdered formula or concentrate:

Take the formula and mix as directed ONLY make a WHOLE pitcher of it at ONE TIME. Put the formula and water in the pitcher and WISK it to mix it (some ppl put it in a blender after doing the pitcher measurements).

After it's mixed put it in the fridge for several hours. Check on it to see if the bubble are all gone and then pour into your dc's bottles *gently/slowly* so you don't create more.

Then, you have tons of ba ba's around and only need to grab, gently move up and down to gently mix (do it once) and microwave, steam, or stove top heat it to warm it up. If you microwave be sure to do the "gentle mixing 1x" after you heat it so you only do it 1 x and so it distributes the heat and let the bottle sit for a bit with the lid off to make sure there are no hot spots (microwaving isn't recommended by the Ped's though).

Don't EVER mix a bottle on the spot and shake it and then give it to your dc if he/she has gas issues, crying whatever. The air in the bottle (no matter what bottle you have it won't help get rid of all the air) will go through to your childs stomach and cause pain and gas.

My ds had to switch bottles, formula and then have his bottles prepared to "fix" his gas/crying/constipation issues. That did it to!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
Bare Bottom Gear
seller

My Mood:

Well, that just means the Dr has to call them first. They'll approve it and then he can recommend it to you and they'll cover it. THOUGH, I'm just guessing!

I've heard of special formula but not an insurance covering it. We've never had to be on special formula. A lot of mama's here can help you with this though I'm sure!