Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need to be EC Educated...

Can the EC mamas please give me a brief explanation of what EC is all about? I think I have a VERY basic idea, but not totally sure. FWIW, I have a nearly 5 month old daughter. I saw the pics of the babies on their BB potty chairs, who were just weeks old....how does this work??? I saw the BB potty chairs at Babies R Us for $9.99 and I was tempted to buy one, but held back. I don't even know how I'd use it this early. Don't even know if it's the right way for us...just need a little education to help me make up my mind about it. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need to be EC Educated...

We started at 5 months, and it was the perfect time for us!
You know how a newborn will often pee when you take the diaper off? Well, thats because mammals, including humans, are "programmed" to not soil themselves. We teach children to eliminate in diapers, and tell ourselves that babies have no bladder control. That is actually not true (proven by many an ECed baby). With EC, you watch the babies cues, and allow them the opportunity to eliminate in an appropriate place, away from themselves. I think most babies have a poop face, or a specific place they like to poop. Some parents will just wait, and change a dirty diaper. EC would be taking the child to an appropriate place and allowing them to void there (IE, bath tub, sink, toilet, or potty seat).
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckieheart View Post
We started at 5 months, and it was the perfect time for us!
You know how a newborn will often pee when you take the diaper off? Well, thats because mammals, including humans, are "programmed" to not soil themselves. We teach children to eliminate in diapers, and tell ourselves that babies have no bladder control. That is actually not true (proven by many an ECed baby). With EC, you watch the babies cues, and allow them the opportunity to eliminate in an appropriate place, away from themselves. I think most babies have a poop face, or a specific place they like to poop. Some parents will just wait, and change a dirty diaper. EC would be taking the child to an appropriate place and allowing them to void there (IE, bath tub, sink, toilet, or potty seat).
Ok so do you still use diapers of some sort? And I know how her face looks when she starts pooping, but no facial expression beforehand, and no facial expression when she's peeing, either. How long does it take to figure out? How do you find the cues?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

Some babies do not cue. However, often times you'll find that if you offer the potty at regular times (like immediately after nursing, and then 20 minutes later, and every half hour or so at her age), that she will start to actually hold it until she can eliminate away from herself. Some people do not use any diapers, we use diapers almost all the time. She will often now go the whole day without soiling her diaper, so we're going to move into training pants instead I think. We have been a bit back and forth on the ECing, many parents trust themselves to go to undies much sooner (DD is 11months tomorrow). Give her a verbal and visual cue (we use the ASL for potty, and a pst pst pst sound) whenever you can tell she is eliminating, even if its in her diaper, and when you offer the potty. She'll catch on. We started taking her as soon as she started pooping, and we got a lot of half catches that way, lol.
Just remember, its about communicating. Even if all she communicates is that she doesn't want to potty right now, you are still communicating.

Also, she is young enough still, you may try wearing her in a sling, in a coverless PF or fitted. Often you can observe them a bit easier that way. You may notice things you hadnt before. Often the baby will begin struggling to get out of the sling when they need to eliminate. Keep a potty near by, and give it a shot.

Last edited by duckieheart; 02-06-2008 at 10:38 PM.
duckieheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you Sarah!

I have some ?'s too! I wish I had time to read one of the books on this but sadly, it's just not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Is there a 'good' age to start? I've started saying cue words when I see that dd is going and immediately afterward but that's abt it. We now have a BBLP and cozy on the way too so I'm anxious to get going! (No pun intended!)

We do bw a lot and I have noticed the squirming cue. (By the time I realize it, she's already gone though- what can I say? I'm a slow learner! ) Other than that though I haven't taken note of anything else yet.

I'm not sure that I'm up to taking her to potty every 20 or 30 mins either. W/2 other little ones at home, it just wouldn't work well for us. Is this schedule for a limited period of time? (a week? a month? more? I u/s that each babe is different but is there a general time frame?) Will it still work if I potty her w/regularity but not quite as often?

What abt when we're out? (we'll be out a lot as soon as it gets warmer-) Is it counter productive to let them use a diaper once you've started EC'ng? (I'm definitely not ready to give up my pretty dipes yet either )

TIA!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
kthiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the EC store website has a really great, short, explanation of what EC is all about, just a FYI

kthiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecmom View Post
Thank you Sarah!

I have some ?'s too! I wish I had time to read one of the books on this but sadly, it's just not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Is there a 'good' age to start? I've started saying cue words when I see that dd is going and immediately afterward but that's abt it. We now have a BBLP and cozy on the way too so I'm anxious to get going! (No pun intended!)

We do bw a lot and I have noticed the squirming cue. (By the time I realize it, she's already gone though- what can I say? I'm a slow learner! ) Other than that though I haven't taken note of anything else yet.

I'm not sure that I'm up to taking her to potty every 20 or 30 mins either. W/2 other little ones at home, it just wouldn't work well for us. Is this schedule for a limited period of time? (a week? a month? more? I u/s that each babe is different but is there a general time frame?) Will it still work if I potty her w/regularity but not quite as often?

What abt when we're out? (we'll be out a lot as soon as it gets warmer-) Is it counter productive to let them use a diaper once you've started EC'ng? (I'm definitely not ready to give up my pretty dipes yet either )

TIA!
You can start at any age! Some do it from birth. We started at 5 months, which is the same time we started solids. It was perfect for us because her poos became much more noticeable (she had to strain a lot more), so thats how we started.
As baby grows, they can hold it longer. DD is 11 months, and goes every hour now, but will hold it for up to 3 hours while she naps. We are just now getting to the point of being dry most of the day. She has always worn a diaper almost all the time. I try to keep her in fiiteds or PFs at home though, for a few reasons. A- I want to know right away when we've had a miss. B- I want her to know right away when shes wet, so she can connect eliminating in a diaper to being wet (much like a PTing child would). We do pockets and AIOs when we go out. It hasnt caused her much confusion. Doing this would be referred as "Part Time ECing". However, I do take her and potty her pretty consistently even when out (especially after we eat, which is her pooing time). If there is not bathroom handy, I just cue her into her diaper. Some people carry small potties with them for trips out. We havent yet, but I think Id like to start doing that now that she holds it longer.
She will probably do fine if you started taking her at regular intervals, but you should watch her cues first, to be sure those intervals are what works for her. But every baby is different, so taking her every 20 min or so is just until you figure out her rythm.
Give it a try. Its a bit of an adjustment, but once you get started it just becomes your way of life.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckieheart View Post
You can start at any age! Some do it from birth. We started at 5 months, which is the same time we started solids. It was perfect for us because her poos became much more noticeable (she had to strain a lot more), so thats how we started.
As baby grows, they can hold it longer. DD is 11 months, and goes every hour now, but will hold it for up to 3 hours while she naps. We are just now getting to the point of being dry most of the day. She has always worn a diaper almost all the time. I try to keep her in fiiteds or PFs at home though, for a few reasons. A- I want to know right away when we've had a miss. B- I want her to know right away when shes wet, so she can connect eliminating in a diaper to being wet (much like a PTing child would). We do pockets and AIOs when we go out. It hasnt caused her much confusion. Doing this would be referred as "Part Time ECing". However, I do take her and potty her pretty consistently even when out (especially after we eat, which is her pooing time). If there is not bathroom handy, I just cue her into her diaper. Some people carry small potties with them for trips out. We havent yet, but I think Id like to start doing that now that she holds it longer.
She will probably do fine if you started taking her at regular intervals, but you should watch her cues first, to be sure those intervals are what works for her. But every baby is different, so taking her every 20 min or so is just until you figure out her rythm.
Give it a try. Its a bit of an adjustment, but once you get started it just becomes your way of life.
Thanks again for the info and insight!

Exactly how long do you let a babe sit on a potty (pf or whatever you're using) before you get them up? Is it just a couple of minutes?

Out BBLP and cozy came today! Can't wait to start using it! Never in my life did I expect to get so excited over buying diapers and a potty seat!