Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:
vegan breakfast

I'm trying to find ideas for breakfast food. I'd like some tried and true recipes and/or cookbooks. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
holyladle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: vegan breakfast

I love this recipe a LOT! Ds loves it, we have it at least once a week, sometimes two!

celebrate4health.com/tofu-french-toast.htm

I only have 8 posts so I can't post a full link, just put "http" at the beginning, LOL!

(Brown rice miso might be a little hard to get, but your health food shop will carry barley miso and it will be just as yummy! Technically this recipe is a macrobiotic recipe, which is basically just about eating whole foods... )
holyladle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hands down my favorite vegan breakfast is scrambled tofu. You can make it the night before & reheat the next morning. Always leave the tofu bits kind of large. You want them chunky, so crumble the tofu into your skillet carefully. They'll continue to crumble as you toss and heat through.

Just get some firm tofu & drain/press it. If you like it really chewy, freeze it first, then thaw/press/drain. Extra firm also works well.

Use vegan pesto, throw it in a pan w/ the tofu, mix through until hot. Serve.

Or

Season with some cayenne, throw in some salsa & mushrooms, scramble about, eat.

Or

Cut up carrots/broccoli/cauliflower, cook with some garlic until they begin to get soft, season with whatever you prefer, if it sticks use some veggie broth to unstick, throw the tofu in, heat through, then add a bit of nutritional yeast, heat through w/ a tad more broth. Eat.

Or

Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil. Throw in tofu, add mushrooms, add nutritional yeast, unstick it with veggie broth, season with whatever you like. Eat.

so versatile, and so easy. It's really good.

As for cookbooks: Vegan with a Vengeance, Veganomicon, Yellow Rose Recipes----all are great!

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
justkc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oat Waffles
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups soymilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Grind the oats in a large food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Spoon on to an oil sprayed, hot waffle iron. Made about 3 fillings of my standard waffle iron - about 12 waffles.

*Adapted from The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again! by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer

Fruit Sauce
a mix of 3 cups frozen mixed berries & mangoes
1 tablespoon real maple syrup

Defrost or heat in pan the fruit enough to whirl it through the food processor. Process in to a smooth but chunky sauce. Heat in pan, add syrup. Pour over waffles.

Amazing vegan oatmeal muffins

I started with Diana's Awesome Oatmeal Muffins from Recipe Zaar, a great base oatmeal muffin recipe that contains no egg or dairy. I will definitely try this recipe again with other liquid/pulp/spice combos.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups 100% apple juice
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons cinnamon*
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice*
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3+ tablespoons flax seed meal*
1/3 cup chopped raisins
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour

*flax and spices were eyeballed - measurements are estimates

preheat oven to 400*
in a large bowl soak the oatmeal in the juice for 10-15 minutes to soften the oatmeal
add the apple sauce, stir well
mix together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, spices, sugar, flax seed meal and add to the large bowl
stir in raisins - making sure they don't stick together
add flour and stir just until combined
fill mini muffin tins that have been lightly oiled and bake for 6-8 minutes
cool on a rack
KC, Momma to DS1 (12.02) and DS2 (01.05) TTC #3 since 01.07

My ISO
justkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Nathalie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cookbooks:How it All Vegan,The Garden of Vegan,and my FAVORITE-La Dolce Vegan.Totally fantastic-all of them!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie View Post
Cookbooks:How it All Vegan,The Garden of Vegan,and my FAVORITE-La Dolce Vegan.Totally fantastic-all of them!
You like these? I gave mine away. Does anyone really need to be told what to put in a smoothie or a burrito? Plus, I'd rather have pictures of completed DISHES, and not pictures of the author. Is it a cookbook, or personal scrapbook?

I'm not slamming you, just the books. I found them really insulting, and wished I hadn't wasted money on them, but they came really highly recommended to me by an 8 year vegan when I was just starting to explore veganism.

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you, ladies, for the suggestions! I can't wait to try them.

guess I'm a dummy because I need to know what to put in a burrito, this vegan diet is all new. I just began cooking well in the last 4 years, so I love things explained. We each have our own preferences and it makes the world more fun <grin>
Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Noah View Post

guess I'm a dummy because I need to know what to put in a burrito, this vegan diet is all new. I just began cooking well in the last 4 years, so I love things explained. We each have our own preferences and it makes the world more fun <grin>
YOu're not a dummy at all. It's just that these books.. UGH! They really gripe me because they're seriously just so... UGH!!!

I'm so lame in the kitchen, I practically need help to make toast. Seriously. And I'll do anything to get out of making dinner, even fake like I'm coming down with something.

Because of that, I sometimes would like to have a picture of what my completed dish should look like, only in these books we aren't given that luxury.

I don't want to open a cookbook & see pictures of the author showing off her puppy, or in a park with a parasol & her crinolines falling about her ankles, or sleeping on the couch with a posed grin on her face... give me pictures of the FOOD, because the truth is, I don't think the recipes in those books were kitchen tested. I really don't.

When recipes are kitchen tested, they actually turn out and are edible. I couldn't get anything from those books, except the soup recipes, to work.

I've made really complicated recipes from Vegan World Fusion Cuisine without any problems at all. Veganomicon, Vegan with a Vengeance, Yellow Rose Recipes---all of those are kitchen tested extensively and it shows. The food turns out every time.

The person to whom I gave the books can't get anything to turn out, either.

I'm convinced it's because they're not kitchen tested, and until I speak to an actual tester, I'm going to believe they didn't get tested & tweaked before going to print.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

that really made me laugh. I'm waiting for veganomicon now, it's very popular. I never realized the amount of vegans in my city. thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
paxbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mmmm.. You mommas are making me hungry!!! GREAT recipes!

HELP? Rent a carrier or 2 @ PAXbaby's Sling Exchange *happy babywearing*
paxbaby is offline   Reply With Quote