Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Teething: HELP!!!

Ok, DD is 4.5 months old and she has practically been teething from birth. She FINALLY cut her first tooth last night but now she's more miserable than she was before!! All she does is cry all day and rub her face. She wants to nurse but she only sucks for a minute then stops and begins to cry again. I just don't know what to do to help her!

Here's what we've tried:

Hylands Teething Tablets
- I've used almost the whole bottle and seen zero results

Ibuprofen/Tylenol
- I've seen mild improvements with these, but not much.

Teething rings - she hates them

Frozen teething rings - she hates these worse than unfrozen teething rings!

Any advice?!?!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Teething: HELP!!!

have you tried orajel before bottle/nursing? We also rotate tylenol and motrin so as not to let the pain get ahead of them. also--my babes like chewing on cold wet wash cloths.
sunshinebabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Try Orajel (or the Hyland's teething gel) before feedings, alternate Tylenol and Ibprofuren like the other mama mentioned-

My daughter cut her bottom two just befor 4 months and just cut her top two at 4.5 months-- I've been using Orajel (the night time version) and then massaging her gums with my fingers.

Target has a pack of teethers, by Sassy-- they are fish shaped, those are better than any teethers we've tried-- throw them in the fridge or freezer.

Also-- go to Wal Mart and get the vibrating teether-- it's a star with a handle. We LOVE that. You might have to pinch one point of the star to get it to vibrate for her-- but that thing is HEAVEN on a handle for a teething babe. We got one with my son at 6 months and he wore it out by the time his 1 year molars came in-- best $5 we ever spent LOL.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

The only teethers that my dd will use are the mesh feeder things with ice cubes, watered down frozen juice, and frozen banana/apple. The teething gel works better for my dd than the tablets. There is also a different brand, Humphreys I think, and they work better then the hylands IMO.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
missiethegal
Registered Users

I am suffering too!!! My DS is also 4.5 mo and he is getting in a bunch of teeth at once-- I can't even tell how many... I know at least 3 have come in this weekend on top but he is still in pain. I too have used up all my hylands and didn't really see much of a result... it seemed like putting the tablets changed the subject for a couple minutes, but that was all. I've tried tylenol but it seems like I have the same results too. Actually all DS cares to do is nurse... I swear he's doubled his weight just this month!! LOL! We just tried the icy washcloth with mixed results-- I too am running out of ideas!! I hope he gets a break soon!! just wanted to say I feel your pain!!!

Melissa
missiethegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
skayers01
Registered Users

Try an amber teething necklace. I have no idea if they work, but I'm getting one too!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
aklausmeier
Registered Users

We used orajel A LOT & tylenol. They seemed to be the only way ds would get any sleep or be able to nurse. He hated teething rings but would chew on a wet washcloth or my fingers : )

After they break the gums, the pain for your little one should subside quite a bit, so hang in there.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiethegal
it seemed like putting the tablets changed the subject for a couple minutes, but that was all.
LOL Exactly! I put the tablets in and she's like "Hmm...this is new...odd...ok, back to screaming now! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to say my babes have the teething necklaces, and the jury is still out here. Im not sure it makes any difference. all 3 are cutting several teeth at once--we like to do things in multiple apparently.

anyway--the mesh bags are good. I have heard that melon is good for that. also--cold pacis. if your babe trakes one, try putting it in the freezer. my boys like that. teething tabs only change their mind for a second. I think they must taste good or something. definitely not a miracle cure here.

liquid oragel and motrin have been our friend. (i buy the target motrin & tylenol as they are cheaper. hang in there!
sunshinebabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to say

Luckily Hyland's teething tablets are little miracles in a bottle for me. I wish they were for you too! Those are some bad bad teeth!