Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
mommyof3-77
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sad Mommy- Protein Allergy

I am having a really hard time letting go this time with breastfeeding. My baby (my 3rd child) is 4 1/2 mos. old and he has an allergy to cow's milk protein. He gets horrible tummy aches about 1 1/2 hrs after eating from me. I love milk, cheese, yogurts, and other dairy products and am not able to cut it all out of my diet. I know that he is my last child (husband had a vasectomy) and I am just writhing in pain (breast and heartache) letting the breastfeeding end for the last time. It is seriously making me cry because I know I'll never be able to do it again. Help!! Anybody have any suggestions or supportive words. Even a dry shoulder to cry on.

Advertisement

mommyof3-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sad Mommy- Protein Allergy

I'm sorry mamma. You have to do what's best for your LO & you.

But, if stopping BFing is upsetting you, could you consider cutting it out of your diet? I had to do this w/DS#2 as he was allergic to milk + soy. It was easier than I thought once I learned to read the labels thoroughly. There are other options for milk, cheese, etc subs.

GL & hope you're feeling better!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
mommyof3-77
Registered Users

My Mood:

Really, it wasn't too hard? What did you fill in your diet?
I would love to keep doing it if I knew he would be healthy. I really love my morning cereal with milk and cheese sticks and yogurt. I have each of those nearly every day.
mommyof3-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I think if you want to BF that badly, you won't miss the dairy. It will just take some getting used to. And you may find that you really enjoy some alternatives.

Dr. Sears has a great elimination diet on his website. Maybe that could help you, too!

And you can go back to milk when you're done BFing. You can't get a BFing newborn back.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do it. I admit it is very hard to get rid of dairy but it is soo worth it. Just remember you dont have to do this forever just until your lo is ready to wean. There are some great alternatives out there trust me Ive been through this I admit there is nothing like cheese but to me it was more than worth giving up dairy (wheat, peanut, and fish) for my lo and being able to give him bm.

I wanted to add for milk with cereal rice dream took a little getting used to but I actually really like it now. For ice cream there are lots of yummy soy ones like tofutti cuties, soy delicious, and anything made by turtle mountian comany is really good. If you need any more suggestions on substitutions let me know and I will try to help
ISO GMS & Wool:

Last edited by Shyla; 02-09-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. it was definitely hard ( i was such a dairy-aholic ) but oh so worth it. I knew I could regulate what I ate and thus gave my DS through my BM, as opposed to giving formula and having to battle which of those might cause problems (plus the allergenic ones are pricey $$$) So were at 20 mo and going strong. Hes been dx'd with a few allergies and milk is one of them. He has an epi pen for it and we deal with it every day... but I wouldnt change a thing ( plus, being w/o dairy is better for ya )

Good luck...

Oh and hey, have you been over to the LLL message boards? theres a whole forum dedicated to allergy situations, just like this.

Last edited by moonphishers; 02-09-2008 at 10:44 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No suggestions as I haven't had to deal with this. Just
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Also your LO could outgrow the allergy quicker than you think. what other symptoms does LO have? did you get a definate diagnosis of this? is his poop bloody?

we thought LO had a allergy too, but cutting dairy out did nothing. It helped a bit but not much. When LO would nurse or after, we would hear grumblings in his tummy. well thats a whole different long story.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a lot easier to cut it completely out then you'd think I've found that potato milk (though harder to find) tastes so much like real milk that it's easy. I'm okay with soy too, though it's a bit more rich and has a stronger aftertaste, it's hard to get used to. Rice milk is better. There's alternatives for everything, soy cheese, soy ice cream, etc.

And you might still be able to keep the yogurt, most of the people I know who can't handle dairy can still handle yogurt. You can also switch to eating baby yogurts, the levels of animal proteins in those are next to none, which is why babies can eat them

It's just a matter of stopping buying dairy and stocking up on the alternatives, I think you'll be surprised how little things change. It's definitely worth it if it means being able to continue nursing!
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've cut out most dairy from my diet. My DS is not diagnosed w/an allergy but I find if I do drink milk he ends up fussy and doesn't sleep well at all.

He can tolerate yogurt - I try to have one each day. I don't like cheese so that was easy. I'm not really missing my morning cereal. I make oatmeal with hot water and some brown sugar and it tastes fine to me. And drink coffee creamer that is flavored (International Delights). My DS is 9+ months now and I'm going to let him nurse until he is ready to wean. He's also likely my last so I'm going to "Spoil" him. LOL

Talk to your Dr. about getting some calcium supplements. I need to do that soon...

Take care and