Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
mommyof3-77
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sad Mommy- Protein Allergy

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Maybe it won't be that hard.

Yes, my baby had bloody stool. I took him to the doctor with that problem and it has all changed from there. She gave me a few options and the most logical is to cut out dairy because the some hypoallergenics arent even helping him. I will ask the Good Lord to give me direction and umph.

I know, I need to get a Calcium supplement and Vitamin D. The calcium can only be absorbed to a max level at a time so Vitamin D is need to help absorb more.

I'll keep trudging ahead an can only hope it gets easier. He's having a horrible tummy day today and your posts have given me the boost to work on this issue.
Thanks!

Advertisement

mommyof3-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
purpleehobbit
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I dont have much to offer but support!!!

My LO just turned 6 months today...we had our first solids meal... and I wanted to cry....this is our 2nd and last (it was such a rough pregnancy/delivery/recovery, it wouldnt be safe for us to have more)... so I feel your pain... I've been so weepy lately thinking that this is the last time I get to breastfeed... If I had to choose between dairy and breastfeeding, I'd check into alternatives!!

Good luck mama!

Oops, I was guilty of having too long of a siggy...my bad..I can count, really!
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
akrancher
Registered Users
seller

There is a huge difference in milk sensitivity, lactose intolerance, and a milk allergy. The route and way they affect the body differ. Sounds like you have had your allergy diagnosis. I would highly recommend seeing a ped. allergist.

DS was diagnosised with an allergy to cow's milk protein and soy at about 5 months (after 2 months of blood in stool). Giving up dairy (I LOVE cheese), was actually pretty easy. It is the soy that was super super hard. It is in everything.
When I started an elimination diet, I started very basic but just couldn't keep up with the no soy thing. We were living remote in the bush and only got groceries once every 2 weeks. Plus, I lost 30 pounds in a few weeks doing it. So, we had to switch to formula, which DS is still on. His dietician recommends keeping him on it until he hits 2 years old and than switch to rice milk. THey need the fat in the milk at this age (ds is now 14 months). He eats lots of Alaskan salmon, but still needs more fat.
If you are serious, go for it and see how it goes.
I would highly suggest getting a list of all the diary ingredients that also mean cow's milk. We have a list of about 25 different things and it is very helpful at the grocery store. For instance, whey, ghee, casein, nougat. These all mean milk, but most people wouldn't know it. If you would like, I can copy our list and send it to you.
Hope your LO outgrows it. Milk is the most common one to outgrow I believe. We are going to get the food patch test done next month to see what exactly DS is allergic to. It is a week long test.

good luck- i hope you can find what works best for you and your family

O' and if you wonder why things aren't changing fast, the milk can take up to three weeks to get out of your system and about the same out of your LO;s system.
When we started the special formula (which some insurance companies will cover) it was like night and day with our son. He was a different child completey.
akrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had the same issue at around 5 months. LO had a bloody stool so I have up all soy and milk. I did not give up soy lethetin (sp) or soybean oil though because I guess they are not as allergenic.
I loooove dairy but soy was really harder than giving up dairy.
LO is 8.5 months now and I've added soy back in with no issues. I also occassionally have a milky treat (pizza) once a week.
It does get easier and hopefully your LO will grow out of it quick!
Its worth a shot to just try it. If it doesn't work out, then at least you can say you tried

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Ahh, mama, I've BTDT. We ended up having to do a total elimination diet, and we're still out 25+ foods, including all major allergens except eggs...

I will tell you up front that 40% of babies intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy, which makes things more difficult. The odds are in your favor on that one, but I wouldn't want it to be a major blow later if you do need to get rid of soy as well.

I will tell you that my dietary changes have been VERY worth it, even as dramatic as they are. We all know the health benefits of breastfeeding for both baby AND mama, and I'm glad I was able to hang in there through the worst of it.

There are SO many alternative foods. I have cereal with rice milk in the morning -- and we can't do gluten, so my cereal is truly alternative. There's a great website with recipes -- www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. There's a yearly fee to join, but if the fee is an issue, they offer a free sponsored membership program. That website seriously saved breastfeeding for us... I lost 30lbs on the TED!

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 02-12-2008 at 07:27 AM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Ahh, mama, I've BTDT. We ended up having to do a total elimination diet, and we're still out 25+ foods, including all major allergens except eggs...

I will tell you up front that 40% of babies intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy, which makes things more difficult. The odds are in your favor on that one, but I wouldn't want it to be a major blow later if you do need to get rid of soy as well.

I will tell you that my dietary changes have been VERY worth it, even as dramatic as they are. We all know the health benefits of breastfeeding for both baby AND mama, and I'm glad I was able to hang in there through the worst of it.

There are SO many alternative foods. I have cereal with rice milk in the morning -- and we can't do gluten, so my cereal is truly alternative. There's a great website with recipes -- www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. There's a yearly fee to join, but if the fee is an issue, they offer a free sponsored membership program. That website seriously saved breastfeeding for us... I lost 30lbs on the TED!
All of this. Lin and I went through (still do) very similar circumstances.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #17
velcromom
Registered Users

My two youngest are casein intolerant. I went off dairy the day dd was born, knowing how my ds2 reacted to it. It's doable!!

I love coconut milk as a substitute for milk. I use it for cooking, for cereal, and - for making yogurt! You can even take the yogurt from coconut milk and make a cream-cheese type of spread from it, and it is just delicious.

My ds likes almond milk as a beverage and on cereal.

My worst dairy cravings are for treats - Ice cream, milkshakes, that kind of thing. But there are good substitutes for all of that. Some available at the store, if you like those then great but like a pp said do read labels for whey, casein, ghee, but it is totally possible to make yummy nondairy treats at home and then you know exactly what is in it.

Don't worry about recipes, here's a site with a ton of recipes that are CF (casein free) and also has a page about converting your own recipes. Most of these are GF too. http://www.cookingtf.com
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
coolsis1975
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the other posters! I'm in your boat, totally. I love dairy. But I did cut it out (at his 2 m checkup he was diagnosed), and it's not too hard. It's not easy either. But it's temporary, right?!
coolsis1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry. When i did the ellimination diet it was hard at first but got easier. I decided it was worth it if I had to stick with it.
Looks like a lot of mamas have done this with great sucess.
I hope you find the answers you need.

take care,
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

I haven't dealt with this, just wanted to send some encouragement your way!