Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
x: post I need help..re: Aidans glasses

There I said it, I need help making him wear glasses, we've been battling it since July/August and are on his 3rd pair, e HATES them He cries and screams no when we make him put them on, and yanks them right off, occasionally he'll put them on himself and leave them, but not all day, if he's with my friend and I'm not there he'll wear them awhile...I just don't know what to do hes last appt was in Dec and the dr told us to duct tape them to his head if we had to ......we have an appt in 3 weeks and he has to wear them..but how can we make him? hes so strong willed about it, and truthfully there just is no way to make him..maybe my parenting is horrible,so I really don't need to hear its my fault, Im needing support and ideas. We have been dilating his right eye (every night)since Dec to make his pupil large so everything is blurry to help him ease into his glasses (so the dr says), but its NOT working.
Please give me ideas/support, I am NOT looking for negative comments, as I can give those to myself....

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: x: post I need help..re: Aidans glasses

Luann I just wanted to give you a
Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you dilating to treat strabismus? My oldest was diagnosed with strabismus and really far sighted vision in one eye right before she turned three...We never actually had a problem with the glasses, but patching and drops were another story. Honestly, we just made her do it. We did reward her for it, but she was developing amblyopia (basically going blind) in that eye and it would be completely reversible if treated, and would worsen if not. There was no choice, and yes it was traumatic for all of us to hold her down and hear her cry, but we just had to do it, and to try not to feel sorry for her about treatment. She is 11 now and is not emotionally scarred or anything. I feel your pain though mama, it breaks my heart even in retrospect (and I'm kind of reliving it a little with this baby who has to have monthly blood draws. It is horrible, but a necessary part of his life.) I would maybe try to set up a system or rewards where he gets a little sticker or treat after wearing them for x amount of time, and then start extending the time...DON'T beat yourself up about it, no one likes to force their babies to do something that upsets them.

Last edited by lissa~K; 02-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.
lissa~K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Hayley

We are dilating to make his pupil large so it makes everything blurry to "ease" him into his glasses, so the dr says.....nak
Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I am in your same position mama, danae got glasses 7/31 and refuses to wear them. the dr says just pull her hands down but it doesnt last long first chance she gets she yanks them off her face!
they tell us her brain is going to shut off connection to the eye if she doesnt wear the glasses and i am frustrated i dont know how to get her to leave them on her face ya know.
one thing that has worked is putting her fv cartoon on and sit her to watch it and put the glasses on, it lasts about 10-15 minutes which is better than nothing.
we are trying to figure out how to get them to feel ok to her as she is farsighted also, i feel your pain

btw, maybe get a second opinion on his glasses prescription, danae got her first glasses at 5 months old and always cried when we'd put them on, when we finally were able to get her vision checked again we found out what i suspected, the dx was WRONG!!
her new glasses are way less strong and she will tolerate them for a little bit then yank them off, but i had 2 eye dr check her and they came up with the same dx and so thats what we got her new glasses with.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

for you momma, I have no helpful suggestions. Maybe try without the drops??? Maybe that is contributing to the prob instead of helping? Rechecking the dx is a good idea like was suggeted, I know adults have a hard time when they aren't right so I can only imagine for a LO. Maybe attaching something the like to them like a cool/cuddley neck strap??
I don't know what else to suggest. I am grasping at straws.

Hope you don't mind, but I was curious how you came to the conclusion that glasses were needed? Did you just go in for a standard check up, or were you noticing problems with vision. Curious is all, DH wears glasses I should but don't and all of our parents wear them, so I am assuming if genetics has anything to do with it Benny is doomed to the same fate. Wasn't sure when it is reccomended to get them checked, I haven't noticed any probs though.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsmom View Post
Hope you don't mind, but I was curious how you came to the conclusion that glasses were needed? Did you just go in for a standard check up, or were you noticing problems with vision. Curious is all, DH wears glasses I should but don't and all of our parents wear them, so I am assuming if genetics has anything to do with it.
Hugs to the OP! To benjaminsmom -- I'm in your boat; DH had LASIK, and I have 20/900 in one eye. Talked to the eye dr recently about DD. She said since she is able to read letters in books close-up and to track birds and airplanes in the sky, there's no cause for concern, but I could bring her in at 4 for a check anyway. Also the ped checks for eye problems at each well-baby appt. HTH.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bribery doesnt work, I dont think he comprehends the full effect of bribery yet.

Sally-
We did have to have the one lens changed as they messed it up and it was the wrong dx, but Im really considering finding a different ped orth, as I mentioned the one we have told us to duct tape it to his head and IMO thats HORRIBLE bedside manners when dealing with kids, especially a 2yr odl that doesnt understand why he needs them.

As for how we found out, well around 2yrs old his left eye started to get lazy/turn in, and it was worse when he got tired, so we went to an eye dr to have him checked out and they took 1 look and told us to see an ophthalmologist, so we got a referal for a pediatric opth. They checked him out said he needed glasses to help correct the lazy eye AND because he was farsighted in both eyes.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
AmandaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what type you have, but can you get some of those with the soft neoprene straps that velcro behind his head. Then you can re-inforce the velcro with a snap to make them harder to pull off?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaS View Post
I don't know what type you have, but can you get some of those with the soft neoprene straps that velcro behind his head. Then you can re-inforce the velcro with a snap to make them harder to pull off?

This was what I was going to suggest -- something that secures the glasses to the head without being uncomfortable. Maybe a little weird feeling at first, but not uncomfortable.

Oh, and as for the person who asked about knowing a child needs glasses, eye doctors recommend taking your child once a year starting at 3 unless you notice other issues. I need to take my son in, actually. I've not noticed any problems, but he is about to turn 5 and hasn't been. The majority of our family wears glasses, so I expect the children will all need them at some point. Our oldest is now 7, was told at 5 that she would need glasses, but because we homeschool and it wasn't interferring in her life we held off (eye doctor even okayed that), but at 6 she got glasses and at 7 her eye sight had worsened by double (if that makes sense). I just hope they don't get any worse. DH is legally blind in both eyes, along with half his family, I think. Don't know anyone in his family that doesn't wear glasses except the some of the kids.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote