Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
QueenofmyCastle
Registered Users
seller

For Canadians: postage for shipping to Canada

When purchasing an item- what allowance do you give for shipping to you, presumably from the states? Do offer to pay extra, actual shipping or the same?
I usually offer to pay exact shipping, or an estimate that's usually correct, but recently I had a small item shipped that I paid $2 EXTRA on a postage paid item. When I got the item the postage was .86. I don't think I should have had to pay extra at all! What do you do?
A

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For Canadians: postage for shipping to Canada

One time I paid $1 extra. The other 2 items I purchased were offered at no extra to Canada. Lucky, I guess.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually offer to make up the difference, if shipping to canada is a buck more, I'll pay the buck more. Just honor system I guess, I'm always hoping that if it really WAS a buck more that they won't try to say it was 5, you know? I never ask for the ppd price with shipping to canada.

Also wanted to add that I'm usually happy if they are willing to ship to Canada because doing so means actually going to the PO and filling out custom forms, and I know that can be a PITA, so usually if I'm trying to score something from the US I am as polite as I can be and offer what i can, heh.
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually offer to pay $1-$2 depending on what it is, I think one time a momma said $0.50 was enough and a few have asked for nothing. They do need to go to the post office to fill out a customs form and since most of us have little ones that in itself is a chore. I am usually thrilled they will ship to us especially since I have an addiction to Blueberry Minky SS dipes and they only way to get them is from US mommas that are willing to ship them to me
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
mikeybro1
Registered Users
seller

Do they REALLY have to go to the PO to mail stuff to Canada? I can print shipping labels right through Paypal for shipping to the US...I don't have to go to the PO at all...just fill out customs online and print the label. I guess all you need is a scale...
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybro1 View Post
Do they REALLY have to go to the PO to mail stuff to Canada?
Actually now that I think about it I did have one momma tell me she had customs slips at home as could just fill it out Although I find most mommas say that they need to go to the PO
Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think paying an extra dollar or so is reasonable. Some mamas don't ask for any extra and some do.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
mikeybro1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
Actually now that I think about it I did have one momma tell me she had customs slips at home as could just fill it out Although I find most mommas say that they need to go to the PO
Yes, I suppose I used to have to go to the post office to mail to the US, but now that I have my scale, I avoid that trip as much as possible Print the labels from Canada post or paypal and put it in the mailbox. I still can't get over that it's cheaper to ship to the US than within Canada on small items. I've always wondered what shipping was like IN the US...
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
mikeybro1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofmyCastle View Post
When purchasing an item- what allowance do you give for shipping to you, presumably from the states? Do offer to pay extra, actual shipping or the same?
I usually offer to pay exact shipping, or an estimate that's usually correct, but recently I had a small item shipped that I paid $2 EXTRA on a postage paid item. When I got the item the postage was .86. I don't think I should have had to pay extra at all! What do you do?
A
I usually ask if they ship to Canada...most say yes (no extra shipping), a few say yes if I pay $1 to $1.50 more. I figure if they send it no extra charge I got a deal (sorta as if I'd had offered them $1 less on their diaper), so I'm happy. If I have to pay $1 - $1.50 more, I usually don't mind. I figure it is probably more hassle to have to get to the post office (if they don't have a scale), so the dollar extra is partly "handling" & inconvenience if that makes sense. The shipping itself might not be more, but shipping this way could be more annoying...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
QueenofmyCastle
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone, I didn't even realize this had replies already!
I generally agree- with diapers I don't mind paying a $1 or 2 extra, espcecially as it seems accurate. I guess I felt in this case I paid the $2 extra when the actual shipping cost was comparable to what would have been factored into the postage paid cost to ship to the states. So I felt I paid $2 extra for nothing. It was a small item, and seeing it only cost .86cents I would assume the the $ppd included an amount like that.
A