Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Had my baby- Added Birth Story

I had my little boy on Sunday (Aug 20) at 3am
my due date was Saturday and my labor started around 10pm that night.
Only 5 hrs of labor, 16 mins of pushing. Not bad!
had another homebirth. it was so nice.
I wanted to have a waterbirth (i did get to labor in the pool though), but right as his head came out my midwife noticed a cord prolapse, so she had me get out. He was also born face up. poor guy had some horrible bruising on his face
We named him Bennett. he was 9lbs even and 21 3/4 inches
Here is some pics:
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...22304/Bennett/

Birth Story:

It all started about 9pm, i went in to get a shower and I started to get really crampy, nothing bad though.
About 9:30 starting to have some minor pain with the cramps- but this was nothing different than what i had been going through since the previous Wednesday.
10:30 rolls around and I cant keep still, the pain is definitely there, but inconsistent so I hold off on calling anyone. I felt like i was having some back labor so i had dh look up online to see what that was all about, sure enough that is what was going on as well.
I was also running to the bathroom every 10 mins to pee, it was weird. Nothing like walking up stairs while trying to get through a contraction lol
about midnight I told dh to call the midwife cause these pains were different than what i had been going through previously.
While waiting for the midwife, dh had to bind my stomach cause of the way i was carrying him, he couldn't engage very well. once dh did that, the contractions got a ton more intense, WOW!
Midwife got here just after 1am and checked me and i was 4cm and 100% effaced. Told dh to get the pool filled cause i just knew it wouldn't be long.
I was laboring in my living room about a 1/2 hr later and I was feeling such intense pressure so i had my mw check me again and i was 8cm already.
I got through another contraction then got in the pool. that was NICE! it didn't take away a lot of pain, but it helped with the pressure, which was more difficult for me to handle.
By this time it was close to 2am. I held out for a few more contractions when I said I needed to push. mw checked me again and i still had a lip of cervix, she tried to push it back, but it hurt too bad so she told me to try and get through a few more without pushing to see if it would help. by this time my body started pushing, that was intense trying not to push with it, but i managed so the next contraction i started pushing. i did a few pushes when i felt the head come down, so i had my mw check to make sure all was alright when she told me that i needed to stand up. She started saying that she couldn't tell if she felt a hand, or if what she felt was a butt. so she is trying to look as the baby crowns- so she knows he is head down, but right away she told me i needed to get out of the pool and on the floor as quickly as possible. She didn't tell me why, but that i needed to push and push fast. that wasn't a problem cause by this time the baby is almost out. i pushed 2 more times and he was born. Come to find out, not only was he head up (cant remember correct term), but he had a cord prolapse. he came out breathing, but very shallow. She put him on my belly and was rubbing him and giving him oxygen. his cord started pulsating again right away, so he snapped out of it very quickly. His apgars were 5 and 9
He has a horrible bruise on his cheeks and upper lip from being born face up. poor guy looks like he got beat up
mw said it would go away in about a week.
He is nursing like a champ now, he didn't want anything to do with nursing the first 2 hrs, but now everything is good.
I definitely dont miss the cramping afterwards from your uterus.
I had no tearing or skid marks, i was up getting a shower about 1/2 hour afterwards. I feel great now!

Here is his stats:
Name: Bennett Kenneth
Weight: 9lbs
Length: 21 3/4 inches
Head: 15 1/2
Chest: 14 1/2

he has HUGE feet and hands. I think he looks exactly like our oldest son Malikai

the kids are taking to him very well. they give him lots of kisses and they like talking to him
They were sleeping when he was born and we didn't wake them up, so they got to see him for the first time when they woke up in the morning

Advertisement

Last edited by serena22304; 08-24-2006 at 11:55 AM.
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Had my baby

Oh, he is just lovely! Congrats, mama!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats mama! Hope mine comes soon, too!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Congrats mama! He is adorable! Glad you had a great delivery and hope you are doing well also! Don't you just love those papasan chairs! They look so comfy!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!!!!! And kudos to you for birthing a baby sunny-side up!
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Congrats!! He is beautiful
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Congrats mama!! He is a cutie!!

Did he also come down fast? My first son came flying out and his face was all bruised like that too. I don't think he came out sunny side up....can't recal my dr saying so.

Blessings!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW What a big beautiful baby! Happy baby moon!
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!! He's a cutie!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Good job, mama He is so handsome! And already so stylish with that shirt and dipe
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote