Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
jessiepixie2
Registered Users

My Mood:
tongue tie and inverted nipple

I apologize in advance, I'm NAK.

anywya, my 6 week old has a pretty bad tie, but he seems to be doing alright besiders having to nurse QUITE frequently.

I, however, am in pain every nursing session. Our ped will not do the clipping procedure as sjhe doesn't see a problem.

Nursing on the left side is bearable... the right side however, is pretty bad.... that side is ALSO inverted.... breastshells didn't help and pumping a few minutes right before doesn't help mch either.

I was wondering, if I did find someone to do the procedure, would that help on the inverted at ALL?

Its more than just my pain that is making me look into this... he is also swallowing a LOT of air when he nurses and constantly has gas pain even after being burped thourghly.

anyone?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
jessiepixie2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: tongue tie and inverted nipple

Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama I'm so sorry you're having problems. Is there an LC that you could go see or talk to? Maybe an LLL meeting that is coming up? I've never delt with any of these issues so I don't have any advice.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
SkyeLee
Registered Users

My DD (now 22 mo.) was tongue tied and I had to push and fight to have her tongue clipped. I am so happy that we did, it was the best for BOTH of us! She was literally starving and I was told over and over again, that it really was not that big of deal. She could only get about 3 sucks in then I would hear a clicking sound and she would loose her latch. I was told by many ENT DR.'s just to give her a bottle, don't worry about it. I did a lot of research on the web and found that most breastfeeding professionals (I think even LLL) recommended getting it taken care of. I know it can cause speech problems later in life, depending on the severity, and some other problems.
The procedure was seriously like 5 seconds long and the Pediatrician that I finally found, who would do it had me nurse her in the procedure room as soon as he was done. He handed her straight to me and she nursed like a champ from that moment forward! I was so happy about the outcome. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed too!
Good Luck! If you are not getting the help you think that you need from Ped. ask around and find someone who will help you.
SkyeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
pbjmama
Registered Users

I recommend looking for a doc to get the tongue tie fixed. It will help your baby latch correctly which with help draw the nipple out. You may find the shells helpful at that point. I also recommend contacting LLL for more suggestions/positioning help. By the way, tongue tie is genetic so this will be something to look for in the future also.
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too had to get my baby girls tongue snipped, it was quick and painless (for her I stood out in the hall sobbing) and she too fed asap. It helped with the inverted/flattish nipples, we used a nipple shield and now she comes straight on quite agressively. Do look for a doc to do the procedure...there really is nothing to it! The States must be different, here it's no biggie, I mentioned it at our 1st appointment and he did it right then and there.

Good luck! Don't get too discouraged!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
kikani420
Banned

my first born was clipped because i *****ed enough about it lol. he still didnt take the boob. last baby had it and cut and is feeding great yay. he is 3 months old now and chunky as ever id find a second opinion its really important to have that procedure its so quick too! its nothing major in and out! they didn't cry or even seem bothered lol

Last edited by kikani420; 02-23-2008 at 03:11 PM.
kikani420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recommend getting it clipped and the sooner the better. Your DS will need to relearn how to latch and properly extend his tongue. An LC should be able to recommend a Dr. that will do it. I took my youngest to an ENT and he did is but treated it as an outpatient surgery, way more than it needed to be. If you can find a ped that will do it in the office, it is a very simple procedure with just a few drops of blood. I wish I could have found someone to do it in the office.

If you are having pain, it could make a world of difference. You will still need to address the inverted nipples, but without taking care of both, you will be probably be unable to experience pain-free and efficient nursing. Some babies cannot get enough milk if there are latch issues like this. I would say, do your research and get it done. Check LLL, Kellymom, Dr. Jack Newman, etc. and find an LC in your area.

Good luck.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
BearBumsBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: johnson_mommy
seller

My Mood:

I don't know much about the tied tongue, but the flat/inverted nipples I do. We use a breast shield/nipple shield to latch. DS wasn't able to latch properly at first, so the nurses put it to us right away. (Looking back I wish I'd known more about it first, but it did the trick & we are still BF so it wasn't the end of the world). Anyway, it did help & if used right, can help bring the nipple out, and give your DS a chance to start nursing correctly, minimizing the chance he'll give it up. I would get the tongue snipped too (only from hearing others though, not personal exp.).
BearBumsBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the pain is centered in the nipple itself, ie very sensative to touch and or red purple color, you might need a rx nipple cream. I am all for natural but the stuff I have puts lanolin to shame and you don't need to wash it off before nursing. I can't seem to locate my vial at the moments but for more info on this you could call the general hospital line here and ask for lactation consultant number (610) 402-CARE. All three are amazing!

As for the tounge tied thing... mine is VERY, we didn't get her snipped. Instead on suggestion of the ped (since she does take bottles just fine and I personally think the whole nipple confusion thing is an urban legend we've had no problem using whatever) anyways we gave her a bottle and worked with her to position her lips and tounge on it like she would the breast. It was much easier to correct and she caught on fairly rapidly.

**See my note below not for everyone! And the urban legend comment is my personal opinion based on my experience and discussing with my bf group and lactation consultant!**

Last edited by sblakeley; 02-24-2008 at 01:29 PM.
sblakeley is offline   Reply With Quote