View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #101
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

ok is it just me or does anyone elses dh have a problem with them NIP? even if my blinds are up in the frontroom he closes them?! i don't have that much of a problem with it but out of respect for my dh i usually do cover up, even though you cant really even see anything!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #102
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenlife View Post
ok is it just me or does anyone elses dh have a problem with them NIP? even if my blinds are up in the frontroom he closes them?! i don't have that much of a problem with it but out of respect for my dh i usually do cover up, even though you cant really even see anything!
Sounds like DH is overreacting... if you can't see anything, what are you covering up? The act of BFing? KWIM? I'd tell DH to get over it.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #103
Zioness
Registered Users

I don't cover up but I usually pull my shirt up from the bottom so only my belly shows and the baby usually cover most of that. I could care less if someone sees a boob. I would also like to make breastfeeding in public more of seen thing so people become more and more comfortable with it, so I never cover up, but I'm rather discreet about it. People never seem to notice... or maybe I just don't notice them

~ Mama to Joaquin and Sage~
ebay member feedback: inigophish
Zioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #104
eightdandelions
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
AMEN!!!
eightdandelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #105
liztiara84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always thought I'd cover up, but I don't. We'd make a HUGE scene if I tried to cover my nine month old up.
Mom to DD#1 (12/05), DD#2 (5/07), DS (6/09), and DD#3 (4/11)
liztiara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #106
diane24
Registered Users

My Mood:

I said other. I usually don't but it weirds my husband out and he tries to cover me. He says even though he knows its nothing sexual someone else could look at it like that and he doesn't like that. I will cover up at church though just because alot of the women are VERY modest and I don't want to offend them. Its a small mother's lounge and we have to share.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #107
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

I voted "other"... I'm still new to this whole nursing thing. In the beginning, I had to see what I was doing to get her to latch on, so there is no way I could really use a blanket, it just slides down my shoulder anyway... So I'd wind up in the bathroom of a restaurant or in another room at a friends house, but you know what?? That sucks.

I end up making my self overly uncomfortable to make others feel comfortable. It just sucks that BF'ing is not as socially accepted. Now, I am getting better and more confident at BF'ing and I can pop her on before you can see anything. My shirt covers the top half of me and she covers the rest. I also don't have very large parts if you know what I mean. lol. So it is easier to be discreet. I definitely don't want a million people seeing an eye full so I try to be as discreet as possible w/o making myself sit on a toilet in a public bathroom for 15 mins. Ew.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #108
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenlife View Post
are you married to my husband lol. when i am at home i let it all hang out, usually both breasts popped out of my shirt (don't usually use a bra when i'm at home and i'm large chested), etc. he doesn't like me to nip if i don't have my sling but i do it anyway, he hates when i nurse with the windows open too. he knows it's nothing sexual but he doesn't want someone else to see a nipple and not realize what i am doing (like how could they not)
jillianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #109
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Only time I have ever covered is when we were outside in the summer and I was worried about Brenna/Kyla getting a sunburn....and that wasn't to "cover up" a nursing baby, but to protect her from the sun!

My mom will try and throw a blanket over us when we are out together, but it comes off anyways and I take it off because it drives me insane....

My hubby could care less, lol, he is all for nursing and all for me NIP...he just watches to see who tries to catch a glimpse at my boob, lol! I remember one time his friend did and then they made fun of him for a while, lol....oh well.
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #110
shaycp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My babies would not stand for a blanket over their head while nursing. I think a mama can be perfectly discreet when NIP by pulling her shirt edge to just a bit away from baby's mouth. That way someone would have to really LOOK to even see the half-inch of breast skin that shows between the shirt and the baby's mouth/cheek. I have nursed three babies with this philosophy (cover the breast with the shirt) and never had any issues with anyone being offended. I've even nursed in front of FIL and BIL's without them noticing or caring or thinking I was inappropriate.

Just my

Shay

Last edited by shaycp; 02-21-2008 at 10:27 AM.
shaycp is offline   Reply With Quote