View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #121
gabyrum
Registered Users

Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I tried to cover the first several times I NIP but soon figured out how to just do it discretely without a blankie which was good because it wasn't long before he'd have no part of a cover. lol. Now he's 2 1/2 and we still occasionally NIP (he has yet to make it through a church service without nursing) ...I am just as discrete as possible. I think most don't realize he's not just laying in my lap snuggling ...and I just glare back at anyone who looks at me funny. It's hard sometime because he's such a big boy (43 lbs, 39 1/2 inches) but he loves his num nums so we do what we have to do.

Advertisement

gabyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #122
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only read the OP, but I work at a Starbucks. Many many women NIP there, and since I did for 9mo of my DS's life, I think it's FANTASTIC.

One of my managers was there one afternoon, walked around the corner of the bar, and immediately walked back. He said he just saw "Full on boobage, and she should totally cover up because I didn't want to see that."

I told him, no one is making you look. And he went on to say how rude it was and how it made him feel uncomfortable, etc etc. And I said, when you feel like eating your meal in the bathroom with a blanket over your head, please do so. I was so offended, and the conversation went on for the rest of the shift I was on because we couldn't stop arguing about who was right and wrong. I was just so offended that he acted like that and I hope so much that the mom who was NIPing wasn't offended like I was.

It's so annoying that people can so closed minded. I only covered my son's head when we were in a restaurant and it was only because I didn't want the server to see my entire breast, so that was my issue, but when we had female servers, I didn't care.

It's just a meal, for goodness sakes. No one forces you to gawk, and secondly, it's just a boob. You see them EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Watching them do what they were actually MEANT to do should be the most beautiful thing you've been allowed to witness.

*off my soapbox now*

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #123
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i ALWAYS use my bebe au lait in public. With the types of shirts i wear, almost my whole breast is exposed, except the part below where baby is eating. At home i don't cover unless the neighbor kid is over.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #124
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do, but only because I'm not comfortable NIP yet. I have NO problem with other people NIP and have tons of respect for them!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #125
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love to but mine will have none of that. If I even do a little she detaches and throws a fit arching her back until I uncover before she will start nursing again.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #126
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

never have, never will. i nurse out of the of of my shirt too. have to while using the Lact-Aid. i cant imagine even wanting to cover up.
but i respect the choice of people who couldnt imagine not covering, as long as we NIP it doesnt matter how its done, just that it IS done!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #127
Jujubazooka
Registered Users

My Mood:

UGH, covering up made me SOOOO HOT!!! But I hated having my back and belly exposed. I tried to wear 2 shirts do that I wouldn't have to do that.
Lake Jewels Etsy Store
Jujubazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #128
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

With DS #1, I covered up until he started pulling the blanket off at about 5 months old. Then, I'd find a private place like a dressing room stall. It got really old having to leave conversations during dinner, huff across a mall to a store I knew had dressing rooms, etc. Just inconvenient, when what I really wanted to do was whip out my boob and feed him!

This time around, there's been no covering up. Period. I don't tend to show a ton of boobage when I nurse because I wear loose clothing to make bf'ing easier. But even on the rare occasion that I do show some boob, I just don't care too terribly much. Frankly, I've been BFing now for almost 3 years of my life. That's probably 10-15 minutes out of every 3 hours for 3 years. That's 30 days out of the last 3 years that I'd have to spend tucked away in a spare room or a dressing room or under a blanket. Way too long for me.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #129
amiemarie7
Registered Users
seller

i just started BF for. the first time and i use a nursing cover. here are my thoughts.
i have no problem with people knowing im nursing, so i wouldnt say im discreet as you can obviously figure out what im doing.
i have small boobs so i would have to lift my daughter higher exposing more of my stomach, which is not looking good now, but even if it was, i dont feel comfortable with it showing.
i dont have clothes which are overly nursing friendly, maybe it will be easier if i find some nursing tops
i would def cover in certain places matter what like restaurants, just because i think if you are paying for a good meal, you might be offended as you eat, and even though you shouldnt be, ill be the better person so you can have a nice dinner!
i cover for me, not others, and honestly didnt really think about it too much as far as offending others. also, i really liked the material of my nursing cover so i like using it, lol.
amiemarie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #130
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:

with ds1, i bf for 6 months and i occasionaly nip. i wasn't very comfortable with it, but wasn't so uncomfortable that i wouldn't do it either. i just stayed to the side somewhere and/or covered up.

this time around, the only NIP i have done is at the IL's house and that doesn't really count IMO. but when FIL is around, i cover up. mostly for his benifit, and because he is kinda odd.. and a little secretly perverted... so i pretty much only cover up around men whom i think would be uncomfortable. since i have twins i dont NIP because it's so hard to find somewhere to sit, feed one baby or the other while DH has the toddler and try not to have dh saying snarky things the whole time because he's very... well.. he doesn't like to wait, he's sorta impatient lol so we plan trips out around nursing.