View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
eringobragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
I totally agree lulusmom. At first I covered up and still do at resturaunts. DH is unsupportive of nip at resturaunts (which is, of course the main place we nip) because he thinks other people are going to see my breast. It dosen't even make sense...he's from Europe for crying out loud where naked breasts are acceptable, lol! At the beach anyway....and some tv.

The thing that changed for me was when I went to the LLL conference in Cocoa beach this past year, I went to Heather Cushmann-Dowdee's seminar. She's the cartoonist/activist that does Hathor the Cow Goddess. It really got me thinking that nip is totally making a statement for the environment.

It's pretty huge to not use a year's worth of formula that has to be manufactured using who knowswhat techniques and probably cows milk, then packaging and shipping and finally waste that goes to the landfill. If we nip, we are making a statement like Tara said "to make others more comfortable with the idea" and maybe someday, hopefully someday nip will be as mainstream as ff'ing. Just think how much better it is for the ecology.

I just want to add that I hope I haven't offended any mamas who ff. They are just doing what is right for them and and thier family. I just wish for the same consideration and acceptance for mamas who bf in public with thier own discretion.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnegansMom View Post
I don't cover up but I nurse discreetly, I tend to wear nursing shirts so I don't have to lift my shirt up to expose my chubby belly...
that's me! i don't cover up my lo's heads, but if i don't have a nursing shirt on, i usually position a blanket around my side so my "less than fab abs & stretch marks" are not visible!

i have no problem NIP as far as breasts go, i don't think i have ever flashed anyone , even by accident; but i personally am not comfortable the way my middle section looks (...I know, that's a whole 'nother story & requires self-love, blah blah blah...) so i voted other because i make sure NO ONE can see any part of my stomach/side, but i never cover up baby or breast, if that makes any sense at all; like many others have said, most people don't even realize baby is nursing when there's not a blanket on the poor childs head; in fact, while my babes have been nursing, i often have people walk right up, sit right down and "lean over to see a sweet sleeping face" without realizing baby wasn't sleeping after all - LOL.

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

I love what that article said makes complete sense
I never really did cover up in public because nothing was really exposed- I mean my ta ta's were never just hanging out, kwim?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very discreet, but don't use a blanket or cover. I find nursing shirts too cumbersome. I just pull up my shirt, unlatch my bra and slip her slightly into my fleece jacket (not sure what I will do when warm weather arrives). She isn't totally covered, just gives me some space to manuveur my big ol boob around. My biggest issue is getting my bra reattached without flashing the world :P

Using a blanket, or even worse those nursing covers/capes/hooter hider things, only draws attention to what you are doing. And geez I have enough to manage wrangling in my 38G boobie and a wiggly baby, nevermind a blanket or cover.

ETA: During mass I excuse myself to the Church library to nurse. Just more comfortable there.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other. I try to cover up if we are say, at a restaurant, mainly to cover my own belly and then it looks like he's sleeping and no one bugs us. But if I'm in my car or at certain people's houses, I don't bother. DS will throw the blanket off us anyway and create a scene, and I'd hate to flash all the poor unsuspecting bystanders.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
Jamie
Registered Users

Quote:
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
Big old YEAH THAT.

Sorry, if someone is offended by my baby's need to eat in public, that's their problem, not mine.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #17
EMTMommy
Registered
Formerly: Brooklyn&Abby'sMom
seller

My Mood:

I voted "other". It depends on what I'm wearing really. I'm a fluffier Mama so if I am not wearing an undershirt I usually cover up, but if I am, my shirt covers what part of my boob would be showing, so no, I dont cover.
Brooklyn had surgery to repair her Coarctation on 2/24/11!!
EMTMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nothing to cover here. Nothing is exposed, so there's nothing to cover.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I am very discreet but I dont cover up, People need to see a baby nursing!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
journey
Banned
seller

I always covered up when I was nursing because of insecurity issues I guess. I had the whole tummy issue and had a really hard time breastfeeding discretely because I could never get my breast out of the stupid nursing bras without flashing the whole room. I also didn't have any support. When I would go to dh's family's house his younger brother would go on and on about how that is sick and I need to go into another room. His mom even put a special recliner in this separate rooms so I would be more apt to go in there. Then my mom would tell me I needed to go into her bedroom because she has some weird and twisted jealousy issues and didn't want her husband to see. Then at my grandparents house they didn't seem to have much of an issue but you could tell they were extremely uncomfortable and when my aunt was there she would make comments about how it's indecent and that I should respect other ppls personal space, blah blah blah. I'm surprised I nursed my kids as long as I did with all that crap. It actually got so bad that I just refused to go to ppls house because of the rudeness. I really wanted to have that, I don't care what you think, mentality but I just felt so guilty like I was doing something wrong. When we have our next lo I'm hoping I can be more empowered to not give a crap about what others think, but it was so uncomfortable being around that sort of negativity.

When our first baby was born I was nursing him, covered up, in a Barnes and Nobles. A guy that dh had went to highschool with came in and said, Aww is he sleeping, I want to see. As he said that he proceeded to lift up the blanket. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react but boy did he get an eye full. He was so embarrassed and at the same time he did this dh screamed NO He's eating!!!! Everyone in the cafe turned around and looked at us. I was mortified, but looking back it was pretty funny.
journey is offline   Reply With Quote