View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #31
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

oh shoot, I said yes and my real answer is no. I was thinking it said do you not cover up?

take one off the yes and add one to NO

i am against women covering up for the sake of others. Its your choice as a women but shouldnt be expected. My DH gets uncomfortable when I nurse in public at restarants, especially fancy ones. I just dont care and its good for others to see a baby eating naturally.

I am in grad school and there is a mom with a 4 month old. Its a 3 hour class so her DH sits in our lounge with her baby during class. Mom comes and nurses during breaks. Anyhow, sometimes the baby still needs to eat more so she brings the baby into class and nurses. She doesnt cover up, the baby cries sometimes too. I love it. And our prof doesnt seem to mind. I brought my 8 month to class the other day because DH was super sick.

Advertisement

Last edited by ekmaurer3; 02-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #32
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After reading some of the replies I feel so lucky to have my DH

This is his first child, and my first breastfeeding child. I am a pro at NIP now, but the first few times I NIP I asked him if he was ok with it or embarrassed. He said, "embarrassed??? I am proud!!!!" I love him sooo much!!!! And this is from a very shy guy
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to be discrete, but I am on my third nursling and none of them have been willing to be under a blanket to nurse. I tried weighted blankets, hooter hiders, and several other things. I tried covering and then attaching, I tried attaching and then covering. Nothing worked as soon as the cover went over them they screamed like they were being tortured and there was no consoling them by any other way then to take off the cover. With me this was not a one time or a two time thing this was 6 months of trying and trying with my first. Three months of trying with my second and about a month with my third. With each I finally determined that we were bringing less attention and were less flashing everyone to just not bother trying to cover up.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #35
slockwood
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a hooter hider. Not ness. for others. I just feel more comfortable knowing I am covered. It makes me nervous thinking about being exposed. Esp. since I am kinda clumsy with the whole nursing bra thing. It doesn't bother me a bit if I am "drawing attention" with a blanket or whatever. What's the problem with drawing attention to nursing anyway?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #36
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
I, too, am opposed to covering up. The first couple times I NIP I did but after I became confident there was no way I would.

Now, all that said, I wouldn't sit around topless just to give her both "options" I'm on my own little crusade to make others more comfortable with the idea.
love the little giggle part! I agree, it is all about the MOM feeling confident enough to do it in public. If you are uncomfortable, you milk is not going to come in, and it's going to be uncomfortable not only for you (the public, who cares! ) and your baby, but if you are confident in what you are doing...go for it, you are RIGHT, and well within your RIGHTS!

I'm here on this board as a gammaw to a 3 month old grandson born to my 18 year old daughter...SHE also has a twin brother...so, one of my funniest experiences of NIPing was at Niagra Falls, on the Canadian side...I was sitting on a rock wall, breastfeeding my twins (tandem!) People would walk by *staring*, turn around and walk back by *staring* (I just smiled and looked right back at them, it was amazing how they tried to avoid eye contact...most of them!)...and then, they would have to walk back by a third time, to go where they were going in the first place! Pretty funny!

Janetta
texanntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #37
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did it in the beginning because my mom and DH were super uncomfortable with it, but I had such a hard time with a blanket and trying to get her latched on, so I just said f-it and ditched the blanket. For the most part, I just do it in the car, because by the time we are ready to leave, she wants to nurse, so that's just the easiest (especially when I am with the two of them by myself)
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i did at first, because i couldnt nurse without flashing the world, lol, and im not comfortable with that. i have huge boobs, and we can only nurse with the football hold, so that makes it more difficult. now, i usually wear a cami under my shirts, one goes up, the other comes down, and we're good to go. ive also figured out how to nurse in the sling in the past couple of weeks. i like to go somewhere out of the way to get situated, but after that i dont worry too much about it

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #39
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
Ditto everything. No one else knows I'm feeding my baby and frankly for a 5 minute session, covering up is not worth extra hassle when your baby is hungry now!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #40
pokydog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No - about 99% of the time. I do it discreetly enough. He is almost 18 mo. so he wouldn't tolerate it anyway.

Oh! I do remember one time I was at the airport & the only place to sit was wedged between a wall & an elderly man & I did cover so the man wouldn't be uncomfortable. That was probably a year ago, now.

mama to two energetic boys, age 5 & 2!
pokydog is offline   Reply With Quote