View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #41
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

No, not with a blanket. I have pretty huge boobs (size e when I'm nursing) and I've never found I needed more coverage than my shirt can provide. Just pull my shirt over the exposed boob and let the baby's head cover the rest I've literally never had a second glance (then again, I do live in Canada and NIP is pretty well normal here).

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #42
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other because as some other mamas have said, I wear nursing tops and there isn't anything to cover. I position the fabric of my top over any exposed skin and it is very hard to tell I am nursing.

I think that nothing draws more attention or says, "hey look I am feeding my baby" more than a nursing cover or blanket. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with mamas who feel more comfortable NIP using them. I have owned a few and it has taken me a loooong time to get to this point where I feel pretty confident NIP. I have even nursed my youngest in church on many occasions and many people have spoken to me and said look how good he sleeps in church, not knowing that he was nursing.

I don't feel as comfortable NIP now that he is older, but he really only wants to nurse at naptime, bedtime and first thing in the a.m. anyway. But, if I needed to, I would.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #43
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't cover up - ever. I was at my grandmother's funeral (middle of July, about 100 degrees) and while I would normally have covered up out of respect to those around me and well, it was my grandmother's funeral I just couldn't. It was so hot!!

Just today I was at a restaurant and I nursed with no problem. Then in line to get some fabric cut at Joann's DD started signing "nurse" to me. I popped her on and had DH hand the fabric over the counter. Either no one noticed I was nursing or they just didn't care. Then again, I did wear a nursing top today just because I knew we'd be out for awhile and I'd have to NIP.

I just don't think it's necessary to cover up. I was given these breasts to feed my child and I will nurse wherever and whenever I choose. I'm extremely discreet about it and if DD suddenly pops off I've got a hand or my shirt covering the exposed breast. So far I haven't flashed anyone
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #44
staciad
Registered Users

I got a wanna be hooter hider on ebay for 12.00! Works great!
staciad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #45
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
I absolutely agree.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #46
zeldajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This poll needs more choices!!! For example, what about discreet nursing tops? That is what I try to do. Then I usually don't cover, but I still don't consider myself un-covered...if that makes any sense.

But really it depends where I am. If I'm hosting family or another nursing mom in my home, I don't cover. Most of my family is extremely supportive (bunch of bossy, liberal women!) so I don't bother covering at family gatherings. If my F-I-L is anywhere around, I cover just because he freaks out (his problem, not mine, but I try to be a good hostess and not make my guests uncomfortable!)

I am not shy in the least, but in public I either wear discreet nursing tops; when I feel I have to cover, it's with a Hooter Hider/Bebe au Lait nursing cover, because it allows me to see my baby, plus it's nice and lightweight and I don't feel like I'm suffocating him. I have to confess, that I love the cute fabric so much that I cover more often than I normally would just to get to use it more
zeldajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #47
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I did a few times when ds was little and I was not as confident. And I ended up showing WAY more than I do when I dont cover. (that is what happens when a hot babay starts flailing) Now I don't more on the principle. Why should my innocent child have to be uncomfortable just so a stranger is not?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #48
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

i chose other because i cover sometimes but most of the time i don't. it really depends on where i am, what i'm wearing and how fussy the baby is. if i am around alot of people and dh is not with me then i most likly cover. if i feel confident that day and ds is not franticaly looking around then i don't cover. the way i feel is i wish noone would ever cover, including myself. hoping too make bfing normal again. but i also see it as, atleast they are bfing.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #49
mamadrea
Registered Users

Well, we nurse in the sling most of the time when we are out in public... partially to be discreet, but partially because it keeps my LO from getting distracted... it's more like I am hiding other people from him that hiding us from them! Plus, it keeps the wiggling down to a minimum!

I did vote for "yes" but like others have said, it's not a blanket-over-the-head type thing, but more of just keeping things concealed. Although, I have pretty much the tiniest boobies ever, so I'm sure no one possibly thinks they have been responsible for nourishing this kid for so long anyway

However, I am proud to let people know exactly what we are doing, if they ask if he is sleeping, I say no, he's nursing. I want everyone to know how proud I am to breasfeed my kiddo!
mamadrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #50
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.

I have a sling for DS and had one with DD also. BUT i don't use it to cover just to cuddle and have "our feeding cozy".Never to cover him (whatever is comfortable for my baby, i do)... DD would get distracted at about 6/8mths old and i would snuggle her in the sling to get her into nursing BTW i NIP DD until like she was 2.5 yrs and then she really only asked at home. DD CLW at 4 years old right after i had DS...fine with me.
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote