View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #51
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I covered up only on occasion.

Advertisement

this_mel_rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #52
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

I usually dont cover. I never have a need to. The most anyone sees is my stomach roll over my pants. If they stare long enough they might see a nip briefly but after 2 kids, Ive kinda gotten good at being discreet.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #53
zeldajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I replied to this already, but then I read some of the other posts. I see that the cover/not cover issue is being discussed as more of a political in-your-face kind of activism.

Sometimes I read threads here and get pretty frustrated at how judgmental some mamas come across. Obviously we all support bfing. Modesty varies from woman to woman, and that's ok. There are a lot of logistical problems that affect the decision of whether or not to cover--decisions that affect every nursing session, not just public ones, like boob size or distracted nurslings. And dangit, sometimes it's just drafty! Covering up doesn't make us traitors to the feminist cause!

It seems to me that nursing in public *period* helps promote awareness, whether you're covered up or not. It does frustrate me when I hear of mamas getting static for nursing, when other women walk around with cleavage down to HERE or kids making out all over the place. But the truth is, that's never happened to me. I've never gotten any static for bfing in public, even uncovered, but I have gotten many supportive comments. Is it possible that maybe the bad situations are rare but overblown? I mean, I have heard of maybe 10 incidents or so. When you think about it, women bf in public thousands or millions of times a day, so those times that women get harrassed on an airplane or in a restaurant are pretty rare by comparison. It's not like we're in Afghanistan where people are waiting to throw acid in our faces for wearing makeup.
zeldajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #54
momma B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I vote do whatever you are comfortable with. I'm sure everyone agrees to just be modest about it. I doubt anyone in here sits out in public with their entire breast hanging out of their shirt.

I don't cover up but you can see no skin.
Check out my blog: thoughts&photographs
momma B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #55
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always cover up. I don't want to see Brittney's b**bs, or anyone else's ... some or part or all of them ... so I don't think other people want to see mine either. (And i can't nurse discreetly to save my life! )

Even though society has made it a sexual symbol ... it is that. People are uncomfortable with it, so who am I to force them to be ok with it?

That said, my bf can nurse without anyone knowing that's what she's doing. If I could pull that off, my answer *might* be different...but probably not.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #56
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldajk View Post
I replied to this already, but then I read some of the other posts. I see that the cover/not cover issue is being discussed as more of a political in-your-face kind of activism.

Sometimes I read threads here and get pretty frustrated at how judgmental some mamas come across. Obviously we all support bfing. Modesty varies from woman to woman, and that's ok. There are a lot of logistical problems that affect the decision of whether or not to cover--decisions that affect every nursing session, not just public ones, like boob size or distracted nurslings. And dangit, sometimes it's just drafty! Covering up doesn't make us traitors to the feminist cause!

It seems to me that nursing in public *period* helps promote awareness, whether you're covered up or not. It does frustrate me when I hear of mamas getting static for nursing, when other women walk around with cleavage down to HERE or kids making out all over the place. But the truth is, that's never happened to me. I've never gotten any static for bfing in public, even uncovered, but I have gotten many supportive comments. Is it possible that maybe the bad situations are rare but overblown? I mean, I have heard of maybe 10 incidents or so. When you think about it, women bf in public thousands or millions of times a day, so those times that women get harrassed on an airplane or in a restaurant are pretty rare by comparison. It's not like we're in Afghanistan where people are waiting to throw acid in our faces for wearing makeup.
Well said
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #57
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't

too much hassle

but I do'nt nip much becuase Emerson is at the distracted stage...she woudln't nurse LOL

there is no need to cover...you can't even really tell...I've never gotten dirty looks...though a lady in my chruch did come up to me to say how pleased she was to see us nursing since not too many woman do it now

I think we need to be more visible...becuase not enough women are bf their babies! However I'd never hassle a woman who was using a blanket...none of my business really...

Last edited by xois; 02-16-2008 at 08:20 PM.
xois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #58
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, this makes no sense to me - ya'll keep saying other people need to just be comfortable with NIP - and then you say "b/c a blanket just draws attention anyway" - so doesn't that help with the whole "nursing awareness"?

Here's what I was thinking, while I was away from the computer I don't really care whether people nip or not; covered or not - what bothers me is the "I don't care what other people think" attitude....that, honestly, is what is wrong with our society. People's lack of care for others...and their determination to do whatever they want no matter how it makes others feel....but that issue spreads WAY beyond NIP!!!

Last edited by AutoShopMama; 02-16-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: can't type and nak :)
AutoShopMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #59
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I said other because it depends. I am not always comfortable not covering up. It isn't that I'm ashamed or anything like that - just not comfortable at that time. Before we went to disney when dd#2 was 3 mo old I felt extremely uncomfortable nursing without covering up at least a little. However, at disney world I quickly learned to just nurse dd#2 and get it over with - but I still found an out of the way bench because it made me feel more comfortable. But on the plane with the strange man practically in my lap (puddle jumper and I was required to sit in a certain seat since I had a baby on my lap and no room for hubby and dd#1 next to me) I covered up because it was a little too close for comfort. Sometimes in restaraunts I will still cover up - but more because dd is very distractable right now and it hides some of the distractions from her so she'll eat good.

I am a VERY modest person and while I am in no way ashamed to be nursing I sometimes feel better covering up. Other times I feel comfortable not covering up.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #60
camerons mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depends on where I am, but most of the time I cover up.

Mommy to Cameron and Wyatt
camerons mom is offline   Reply With Quote