Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
zeldajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me figure out bottle compatibility!!

So.... the Medela pump I use is compatible with Medela bottles (obviously), those formula propaganda breastmilk storage bottles they gave us in the hospital, and the glass bottles from BRU. But we feed with Playtex drop-ins. I would like to switch over to feeding with the bottles I pump into, but I am not sure if I have to get medela-brand nipples or if other brands will also screw onto the top? Also, I know I can get nipples by themselves, but what about the part that screws them together? If that makes any sense!! Please help!

Advertisement

zeldajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me figure out bottle compatibility!!

I laughed, those hospital "breastmilk storage bottles" with the similac logo on the lid Anyways! We used the medela bottles with gerber nuk nipples I'm sure they'd work with plenty of other nipples too!
TempoHasPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Twiceblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can get an adapter for the pump and pump into the playtex bottles, Its called the one-step system
Twiceblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you don't get the playtex adapter, nearly any nipple/collar that would fit a "standard" (gerber/evenflo cheapies) bottle should fit the medela bottles as well as the hospital bottles.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
zeldajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!! I am excited to hear that the bottle threads are pretty standard! I don't know why, I just always assume that different companies would have incompatible stuff so as to maximize the amount of money you have to spend (like those dang cell phone chargers!!) I love that there are adapters, though I don't think that will work for me, because I usually pump at work and find the drop-ins bottles a little leaky if there's no nipple. I do love how the freezer bags drop right in, though. But now I am out of freezer stash so I figure I might as well skip the bags and pump straight into the feeding bottle!

Now I just have to find a place that sells bottle collars by themselves...

That does crack me up so much about those "breastmilk bottles" with the similac logo on them
zeldajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
ashleymelynn
Nanipoo Lover <3
seller

My Mood:

any standard nipple will screw on. My kid will only take the medela nipples. Sad cuz I can't find them alone and not in that BFing kit ANYWHERE... and the kit is near 20bucks. No thanks, DD, I love you, but not enough to spend 20 bucks on 4 nipples...

But no, seriously, Standard nipples (like the playtex ventaire, etc.) wil screw right on to the medela bottles!!
My ISO thread
ashleymelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ PPs. We used gerber bottles/nipples. I could pump into gerber bottles w/ the medela pump because they were the same size as medela bottles. Evenflo (not the wide mouthed version) were also interchangeable but I didn't like them as much.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use the rings from the hospital nipples.. I saved them ALL from when DS was a baby (yea.. Im a packrat ) They fit great on the medela bottles and any other ones.. BUT he medela bottle caps and rings do NOT fit on other bottles (not sure WHY )
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
ashleymelynn
Nanipoo Lover <3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaStarr View Post
I use the rings from the hospital nipples.. I saved them ALL from when DS was a baby (yea.. Im a packrat ) They fit great on the medela bottles and any other ones.. BUT he medela bottle caps and rings do NOT fit on other bottles (not sure WHY )
User error? Not to be rude, but just asking Because they fit just fine on the ventaire bottles they're justa b*tch to get centered and lined up rigth due the to design of the nipple, and the way the bottle should be held.
My ISO thread
ashleymelynn is offline   Reply With Quote