Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question Anyone use the CIMT MEP math curriculum from the UK (linked from Old Fashioned Edu.)?

Old Fashioned Education links to a free math program from the UK, and I've downloaded all the materials for years 1 and 2 (Kindergarten and 1st grade) and I'm seriously considering using it this next school year with my 2 oldest. Right now my oldest is in Kindergarten and we use Horizons math. I really like it, but was trying to save us some $. The UK program takes a different approach; it actually looks kind of like Singapore math. If we go with it, we'll have to cover American money ourselves, plus telling time (horizons covers those, but in skimming through the UK's program I didn't see telling time, and obviously any money-related problems won't be with American dollars!).

Just wanted to see if anyone has actually used this program and what you think of it.

If we end up wanting to stick with Horizons, I do already have the 1st grade teacher's guide, so I'd just have to buy the workbooks for 1st and K (so about $44) but in future years it'd be around $60 for a set (workbooks plus teacher guide) plus $22 for workbooks for the younger, plus in a few years when ds2 starts it, another $22 for his workbooks. Dh and I are not opposed to this cost if we think it's the best way to go; but since we have 4 kids and 1 on the way (and not sure if we are done yet!) it's obviously going to get more and more expensive to do homeschool as more of the kids are at schoolage. Math is one of the areas that seems to have a fairly significant cost, and if we can do it for FREE (already own quite a few manipulatives, scale, fake money, clock, etc) that would be great. But not if the free program isn't going to work for us!

Any thoughts?

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote