Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
silver
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you re-use pumped milk if LO does not finish it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
I would let it sit out 4 hours... Keep it in the fridge for a week and I would freeze it. I would never REfreeze it, but you can certainly freeze it. However, come donor milk Ive gotten has been partially unfrozen and I did refreeze that.

I would never heat in the microwave.. Just heat under warm water and I would reheat it also.

IMO as an EPer, pumped milk is too precious to waste... Use every last drop that you can.
Actually, not even milk that has not been offered once should be in the fridge this long. Milk should never be in the fridge longer than three days from what I know.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breastmilk actually has components within it that help to digest it, so once out of the boob, the milk begins to digest itself. Once offered at a feeding you have mixed the baby's saliva into the milk (plus bacteria from the mouth) that will also begin to digest the milk. I don't recommend reusing a bottle that has been offered unless it is within a few hours, I would definitely advise against re-storing it. I dump mine, with a scowl ofcourse. But keep in mind that you will make more - on demand - and freshest is best.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
tsellekaerts
Registered Users

My nursery won't re-refrigerate or reuse any uneaten milk (once she only ate 1oz. and they poured out 4oz.... torture!). I'd read that once pumped/chilled milk was reheated, that was it - you only get to go through that cycle once.

(The Medela literature says you can keep pumped milk in the fridge for 5-7 days, for what it's worth.)
tsellekaerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
kristenkan52
Registered Users

Well, I ended up having 5 ounces left over from a bottle that originally had 6oz as he only needed one before I got to him to nurse. It's a long story of why it was easier to do that than let him finish the bottle and pump. Anyway, so I ended up re-refrigerating it and then I used it again today which is 3 days later. (The LLL does say that milk is good in the fridge in the first place 5-7 days... in reference to the pp who said 3). Anyway, LO seems okay and has nursed since and I did smell the milk before giving it to him and it smelled fine. I don't think I'll make a habit of it, but man I really hated the thought of wasting 5 oz! If it had smelled weird I would have dumped it. I don't want him to get sick just cuz I don't want to waste milk. But I thought I'd share that he seemed okay.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

I don't pump anymore, but when I did, we did offer bottles at a second feeding and never had a problem. We would normally refrigerate and reheat (we used a bottle warmer), or if we knew he was going to want it fairly soon we would leave it out.

Never a problem and we did this for almost a year.
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I have but only at the next feed.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

yes if its fresh.

My dc doenst reoffer bottles. I have instructed them to save bottles in the fridge for me. I then reoffer them as first bottle fo the next day (so usually 12-16h later) I’m comfortable reusing FRESH milk w/in 24h. Frozen milk cant be saved/reused. I carefully mark bottles so I know what is fresh vs/ frozen.

I would not keep a bottle that has been partially consumed more than 24h and I’d certainly not freeze it.

Fresh milk is usually good 5-7 days (varies a bit between women and fridge temp)

To mimize wastage, I made up 2.5oz bottles at the beginning and left extra frozen at dc. Then when she was 6-7mo I increased it to 3oz and around a year increased it to 4oz – she still got bottles every 2h till nearly a year. At a year, I dropped it to 2 4oz bottles and at 20ish mo, 1 4oz bottle and now at 28 mo, she’s finishing out the remainder of my stash 1 4oz bottle a day.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #18
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have reused milk that my 3 month old did not drink by feeding it to my 18 month old instead. If I'm feeding my daughter a bottle and she doesn't finish it I just pour what's left into my son's sippy. He thinks it's a treat, and this way at least one of my kids is getting the milk

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #19
camillesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD drinks cold milk from a bottle, so I don't have the warming issue. If you have warmed a bottle, you can leave it out for a few hours, but I would NOT refrigerate it again, and certainly not freeze it. Most people don't realize that BM is good for up to 8 hours at room temperature, so I would think it's fine to offer the same milk to baby later. It IS liquid gold and it's AMAZING!