Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
mommaduck
Registered Users

?'s about Greenville, SC

Okay, our family is looking at the possibility of having to relocate. One of the two (actually three, but one doesn't seen like a real option) is Greenville. Can anyone fill me in a bit on a Crunchy person living there? Drs that are okay with non-vaxing, APing. Homeschooling. Etc.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
vickul
Registered Users
seller

Re: ?'s about Greenville, SC

Can't help you w/ doctors, as the chiropractor I used to use has since left the area. But I loved life in Greenville. Both APing and homeschooling are pretty common, though you'll want to shop around a bit before settling on a particular homeschool group. Some are very AP friendly. Others are staunchly in the authoritative fundamentalist camp. Still others are a mix. The one we belonged to while I was growing up included people from just about every walk of life.

On a related note, if you end up in Greenville, also check out homeschool groups in the Clemson area. "Crunchy" families are pretty common around the university.

Last edited by vickul; 02-18-2008 at 07:02 AM.
vickul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
p1p3r
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't see a lot of babywearing up there but received a lot of compliments when I did. Don't know about the docs, non vaxing or HSing. The school system in Travelers Rest (just a hair north of Gville, in Gville county) was awesome though. Very involved.

Have you been up/over/down to see it yourself?

Jaustin (sp) lives close to there. You might look her up on here.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
mommaduck
Registered Users

No...I was born in Charleston, but haven't lived there in 27yrs...went back this autumn to see my sisters and dad (they live in Charleston). But Greenville, we've only looked at things online. Taking a trip ahead of time isn't a viable financial option. We'd be relocating due to hubby's schooling. And I'm having a frustrating time finding anything on support for wives and families of seminary students. You'd think with all the Bible Colleges and Seminaries there, there would be a list/discussion/whatever online
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
p1p3r
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck View Post
No...I was born in Charleston, but haven't lived there in 27yrs...went back this autumn to see my sisters and dad (they live in Charleston). But Greenville, we've only looked at things online. Taking a trip ahead of time isn't a viable financial option. We'd be relocating due to hubby's schooling. And I'm having a frustrating time finding anything on support for wives and families of seminary students. You'd think with all the Bible Colleges and Seminaries there, there would be a list/discussion/whatever online
Sounds like something you could start up
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
mommaduck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1p3r View Post
Sounds like something you could start up
Yeah, just give me the energy.

The pros are having sisters 4hrs close...and I'm praying that hubby's cousin and uncle will move with us as part of our household.

Last edited by mommaduck; 02-18-2008 at 09:20 AM.
mommaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
chelle0518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in Simpsonville, which is just next to Greenville. There was an API group awhile ago, but I don't think they meet anymore. The local LLL groups have a bunch of crunchy mamas though. Homeschooling is pretty common, and there are quite a few stores that you can find organic foods/products....Whole Foods, EarthFare, Garners, etc. While I'd say that most people are pretty mainstream, there is a niche for the crunchies
I'm not sure about non-vaxing peds, but I do know there is a doc in S'ville that will oversee homebirthing mom for their 2 required visits and I believe he is a family practitioner, so he may work with non-vaxers.
HTH, good luck with your move.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
missionsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live near Greenville (in Fletcher, NC) but I have a great friend that lives there. She has a nonvaxing ped and it seems that there is more than just hers. Greenville seems to be a great place and there seems to be affordable housing there also! Hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
ellybelliesmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is a great non-vax, midwife and AP friendly dr. in Greer, which is not far from Greenville. Dr. Stafford. I'm using him right now as an OB because my ins. will not cover a midwife. He is a family practitioner but he sees babes, kids, adults and preggo women-- he delivers too. PM me if you want more info. on him.

There is a cloth diaper group and a baby wearing group (kind of like an AP group) in Greenville, as well as lots of crunchy mamas.

WAHM to Elly Bellie-- her middle name is NOT bellie, it is a nickname (4-10-07)

Checkout my website!
I work at home and you can, too!!! Ask me how!
ellybelliesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I know of lots of crunchy mamas here, there is a CD group, babywearing groups and there is an AP meetup group I belong to as well that just started up so lots to pick from!