Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

VERY stinky night time dipes

Do all dipes stink after night time? I am having a terrible time with stinky dipes. No matter what I do they smell. When I go in my ds room in the morning it just stinks. I never ever had smell issues with my dd. I am ready to switch to disposables at night. The smell during the day is not as bad b/c he is not in the same dipe as long but the smell at night is enough to kill someone!! Plus, the diaper pail is just awful. Truly awful. When I started cd my dd I told people it smelled so much less than the diaper genie. But, his dipes are a whole different story!

Help!!! What can I do???

Advertisement

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: VERY stinky night time dipes

is the smell maybe clinging to them after wash, just brave it and after a good wash put it up to your nose and sniff it. if it is i suggest running about a cup of vinegar in the wash w/them. and then do a second rinse. if that doesn't work i've heard wonderful things about sportswash. if it's not that and they just stink at night then my guess would be to buy some non-toxic or organic sposies for night time, and since you'd only be using them at night the cost shouldn't be too bad. drugstore.com has about 4 different brands in all price ranges from $7 to $15 a bag.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

I had stinky insert issues. I ended up boiling them. I was using Era and probably too much of it. I only use hemp and microfiber and after the soap would build up on them ds would pee 1x and they'd stink.

Ideally, if your inserts and dipes are in good working condition there shouldn't be any smell during the day and just a pee smell in the am but nothing that would stink the whole room up.....just when you get close to him or when you take the dipe off to change him.

Boys hold their pee longer I think. They have bigger bladders (I think anyway) and my ds's pee is always dark and smells a little. My dd was not cd'd but I know she never had smelly pee in the am like ds does.

The smell coming from my ds's dipes in the morning (when the mf inserts were stinky) was enough to make me puke. Even the 1x peed on day dipes were nasty. It was embarrassing to have a family member pick him and and hold him and have ds stink like that. I tried stripping the dipes, the mf inserts, using vinager, using baking soda, hot washes with no soap over and over and over, switching from Era to Sun, switching from Sun to Sportwash and NONE of those cured the stinky problem.

I boiled them in a pan on the stove 3 mf inserts at a time in one large pot of water for 5+ minutes, took them out rinsed them out REALLY good, got a new pot of water and put 3 more in and then repeated that until they all had been boiled 4 times each. I just kept boiling & rinsing them over and over until I couldn't see any soap bubbles in the boiling water and until the smell stopped!

Afterwards, I threw the white ones in the wash with a lot of water and 1 tbsp of bleach (yikes, I know, bleach....but it works and I only had to use a very small amount) and soaked them for 30 minutes. I then rinsed them 3 times or so and then threw the blue mf inserts in with the white ones and ran a normal hot/cold wash cycle with 2 rinses and NO DETERGANT. They no longer smell and the morning dipes don't stink at all until I take it off of him and then the pee smell is apparent.

You have to get new water each time you are ready to put more inserts in as the old stinky water will make the next batch stink.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 05-04-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one that has used bleached!!! i haven't used cloth diapers yet (waiting for first clothed diped bum in this house to arrive still lol) but i have been using cloth trainers, and a couple times i've missed getting one or two in the wash and couldn't get the pee smell out no matter how much vinegar so i used a little bleach and it did get the smell right out. then i just did several rinses and a vinegar rinse to be sure the bleach was out!
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

Wow, SAhm that sounds like a very time conuming process, but I am willing to try it!!! When did you do it? Just curious if you will have to do it again. I really think build up has got to be a problem but I have rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and changed detergents, used vinegar, tried oxy-clean, baking soda, etc. Still stinky. I'm going to try the boiling and maybe bleach on the inserts. Thanks!

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Detergent buildup leads to stinky diapres for us... I always use 1/2 to 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent then double rinse. I also switch up detergent brands pretty regularly to avoid buildup. Instead of a wet pail, we do a dry bag hung on the front door. The bag itself is cotton, so it breathes. We wash EOD and never have a stink problem. Also, usually I diaper spray the poopy ones, so most of that is gone. That is what works for us. HTH!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Ginamcf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know it's a pain but to keep my pail from stinking, I rinse out the poopies with mini shower in the toilet and I hand rinse the pee diapers in the sink before throwing them in the pail. Once you cure your stinkies with boiling and rinsing then consider rinsing morning diapers out in the sink. That way by laundry day they aren't so nasty and I think they wash up better.
Mommy to Ian (10), Gavin (3) and #3 due 3/09.
Ginamcf is offline   Reply With Quote