Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

Co-sleeping, does it make weaning difficult?

My ds is now 15 mon, I am ready to wean, at least to try to get him down to about 3 feedings a day, he still sleeps with us and he nurses about 5-6 times a night! This is partly why I am ready to wean. I was just wondering, if we co-sleep, does that make it more diffcult to cut down the nursing? My friends and family think I am crazy but this is what worked for us all this time. My 2 older kids could be placed in their crib when drowsy and went to sleep on their own but not Samuel! And he is not very interested in solids, I mean he eats snacks throughout the day but he really still depends on Mama's Milk for a lot of filling his tummy. Any advice? I am exhausted.....

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
paxbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-sleeping, does it make weaning difficult?

Haha!!! I JUST went through this with my 15 month old!!! The 5-6 night feedings were really wearing me out even though we were co-sleeping. We decided to move him into a crib next to his brother's bed in the "boys" room, and VOILA! No more night feedings and he sleeps from 8 pm to 7:30 am everyday!!!

HELP? Rent a carrier or 2 @ PAXbaby's Sling Exchange *happy babywearing*
paxbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

we 1/2 cosleep with our almost 30 month old DD, she is still nursing, but we night weaned a very long time ago. I simply stopped wearing tank tops to bed (wore T-shirts instead so access wasn't readily available) and slept with my back towards her for the first several nights. When she wanted to nurse I handed her a sippy of water and cuddled her. Now at night when she crawls into bed instead of asking for boobie, she asks for cuddles. You just have to stick with it.

ETA: you are at a good point to start implementing nursing manners, it makes nursing an older toddler so much easier and enjoyable if they are polite.

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 02-18-2008 at 10:30 PM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
earthymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going through the same thing right now with my almost 15 month old. She is wearing me out nursing at night,she nurses more now at night then she did when she was younger and it's draining.. I don't want to wean becuase I plan on self-weaning but something has to change with this night thing. We also co-sleep and I have strongly been thinking about moving her into her on bed though I don't want to do that either,I'm thinking it may be the only thing that helps me out at night.. And like your DS my DD still relies on mama milk more then anything..But I know she isn't hungry 6 or 7 times a night.
earthymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This article by Dr. Jay Gordon is great for night-weaning in the family bed.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

So great to see I'm not alone, thank you all for the advice and that article was awesome. We will be trying that as soon as Samuel is well again, (he has a cold). I also am ready to put him in "the big kids" room if that suggestion is not going to work. I really don't agree with many doctors out there but that Jay Gordan sounds awesome! Where does he stand on vaxing I wonder....THANKS AGAIN! I feel there is hope to get out of this....
Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
ajohnson45
Registered Users

We decided to night wean our son at about 21 months when I had to go out of town. He was still in our bed and weaned over a weekend. He now likes a bottle of milk in bed though, and he's out of our bed, although he slept with us for another 3 months after weaning.

It was hard because our son liked to nurse all night long. Very exhausting.

Mama to 4 littles, and one brainchild: EcoBaby Canada
ajohnson45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
mamadrea
Registered Users

We have and all-night-nurser, and even though I'm not ready to wean totally, I am ready to try to have him not pacify with my boobs so much! Anyway, I just read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" (Pantley) and "Attachment Parenting" (Sears), both of which suggest little by little taking your baby off of your breast right as he or she is about to fall asleep. It takes a few times, but it's been working. It's only been like three nights, and he is already doing much better! Might be worth the read for you!
mamadrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I weaned my DD while she still co-slept....I just actually woke RIGHT up when she wanted to nurse and rocked her instead...it took her one night, but it was a LONG night...she cried and she cried....I was pregnant and exhausted and DH was deployed and I couldn't do it anymore and I was awake while she was nursing at night, so I wasn't getting a good sleep anyways!!!

GL MAMA!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
mysummergirls
Registered Users

When we nightweaned dd2 (around 27 mos), we were having her start the night in her room and then she would wander into our room at some point in the night. I had to start wearing a different bra to bed because the sleep bra I usually wore was too easy for her to access (she would nurse without me knowing it...I slept right through it). She was sleepy enough when she came into our room that I would tell her I was going to the bathroom and when I got back she was asleep. Eventually, I didn't have to take a potty break for her to go to sleep without nursing.
mysummergirls is offline   Reply With Quote