Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone take Zofran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boy1girl1kitty2
ask your dr about diclectin. it is a prescription drug exspecially developed for morning sickness. i was taking 500mg 4x a day for all 9 months with my daughter and 200 2x a day for the first 5 months with my son and periodically as needed after that! i was still sick with my daughter but the diclectin made it so i could at least function!
This isn't available in the states, although I've heard it work great. You are supposed to be able to take unisom and B-6 together and recreate it. I don't remember the exact doses. I tried but couldn't keep the pills down long enough for them to work.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I took Zofran with my last pg, I still have a bunch left,lol. I'd give it to ya if you were closer. I used it from 8 weeks til delivery with no adverse effects( except sever constipation, I would go 1-2 weeks without a bm sorry tmi). It didn't make me feel better, but it reduced the vomiting and eventually stopped it. I couldn't ever come off of it or I would start getting sick all over again. I went to er once for iv and later found out I should have been on iv at home too, but by then I was beginning to improve. Zofran kept me alive and from all the research my family and I did it is safer to be on it than to be that sick. The benefits outweigh the risks. Insurance will not want to cover more than about a weeks supply a month but if you get a prior authorization from your ob(can be a pain to get) then they have to pay for it. I went thru this with 2 different ins co.'s (dh's employer switched ins 1/2 wat thru pg) and it worked both times, you just have to pay your copay. HTH, if you need any more info feel free to pm me.
I have become quite the expert on hyperemesis, lol.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

I took it once in an iv it was the best! my stupid MW would not give me a perscription so instead i lost 15 pounds! my doc has already said he would give it to me and i am so going to take it! hope you feel better!

Clarissa
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

LOL, i couldn't get anything either, and i lost 35 pounds!! Supposedly, i was "not sick enough", because, despite CONSTANT vomiting, and serious weight loss, my electrolytes were actually decent...??....

But, a friend of mine did get it, but only a couple days worth, because she got some sort of stomach flu during her pregnancy, so he gave her enough to get through it, and she said it worked wonderfully! She never mentioned any adverse effects.

The diclectin is just unisom with B6.......i tried that, but it didn't work for me.....

Nothing worked for me, during the ugliest period, lol....after that passed, the best thing i was able to come up with was......you guys are so gonna laugh....dairy queen
Seriously..for some reason soft serve ice cream would stay down...i think it was because it was a solid, but a liquid...you know?
So, i started out every day with an ice cream from DQ...LOL!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took it with both of my pregnancies. With my first, I had hyperemesis horribly bad. I didn't start taking it til around 17 weeks. Up until then, I had been LOSING weight and barely gained anything at all. I took it until she was born (she was 6 weeks early.) Then when I got pregnant with my second, I started throwing up just shy of 5 weeks. I tried lemon drops, B6, ginger, peppermints, everything I could think of. When I was 7 weeks, they put me in the hospital and I stayed 4 days, getting IV fluids and my strength back. I left the hospital with a prescription for Zofran and took it up until the day he was born, too (36 weeks, 4 days.) I get hyperemesis really bad when I'm pregnant and Zofran was the only thing that worked. I personally never had any side effects from it at all. It didnt make me drowsy. It was my miracle drug. I gained more than 2xs the weight with my second than I did with my first because Zofran made it possible for me to eat and hold my food down!
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #16
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate to say, I took Zofran and it didn't help much at all. The only things that worked for me were a combination of unisom and B6, reglan helped a little(you take it 30 minutes before you eat and it speeds digestion so that you don't have time to throw up your whole meal), and then they put me on steroids. Once I came off of the steroids I didn't have any trouble, but it took 3 months and 22 pounds before they would even consider doing that.
i hope you get to feeling better.
lombardowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #17
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpww_rachael
I took Zofran and I would take out a loan for it if I had to because it was amazing! I get hyperemesis really bad, and have been in the hospital for it because of extreme weight loss during pregnancy. Anyway, I took a few things with my first pregnancy and nothing helped. Then, with my second pregnancy, my dr. said that Zofran (which I had never taken) was being offered in a different form that simply dissolved in your mouth. It's very expensive, but so worth it, and also safe. The max you can take it 2 a day, I took that for at least a month! Then, I weaned down to 1 a day for a little while longer. Ask your dr. about it. If I'm ever pregnant again, I am going to ask for it immediately!!!

OMG it was a lifesaver just like PP said. I was on everything... & finally the doc gave me this. It was like a miracle. I remember not taking a few times thinking "I feel fine. I bet I'm over my morning sickness" & no way, was puking like a champ when I didn't take it. I had hypermesis really badly too (I lost 20 lbs in my first pregnancy initially). Anyway. this is the best drug for it!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #18
~Meg~
Registered Users
seller

I had very severe hyperemesis with my twins. After several hospitalizations, I ended up with a subcutaneous Zofran pump and a PICC line so I could be hooked up to an IV at home. Thank God for insurance! It cost almost $500 a day! I was still very sick even with the Zofran and IV, but at least I was able to stay hydrated and eat a few bites. If your insurance covers it, I'd try the oral Zofran. Without insurance it is almost $1000 for two weeks worth, but if your doctor deems it necessary, insurance should cover it.
Bea & Maggie (09/13)

Yep, we have 2 sets of twins!
~Meg~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #19
rds989
Registered Users
seller

I took benedryl w/dd after nausea that lasted 24hrs a day and prevented me from sleeping at night for weeks. My ob recommended it when I finally called and begged for help. (BTW, it's essentially the same drug as dramamine & unisom.) I needed less than 1/4 of a tablet to feel an effect. It was like a miracle. Wish I had had it w/ds, and am very much planning on taking it again w/dc#3. Might be worth trying, since it's not $$ like Zofran.

The only thing is that these drugs are antihistamines, so they can dry you out. Drink lots of water and consider a humidifier if you start to feel too dry.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #20
jaseyandmallorysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no advice just get well vibes ~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*