Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 AM   #21
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Re: Anyone take Zofran?

You poor mama, I can't say I envy your situation but believe me I've been there!

I had to drop out of college for a semester because I got so sick durring my pregnancy. I don't know if anything really "works" for nausea, but the best advice I can give you is to drink pepermint tea if you know your going to get sick, because it leaves your mouth/throat minty fresh after vomiting I also have some zofran left over if you want it I hope you feel better soon mama!

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #22
bethiecow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry you're so sick! I understand the feeling all too well. With my twins I was on 8mg of Zofran a day for my HG starting at 6 weeks. I was able to completely wean myself off by 18 weeks. This time, not so lucky. I've been on 16mg a day since 6 weeks. I'm 20+ weeks now, and no end in sight. The nausea is a bit better, but every time I try to wean myself down, I start throwing up again.

We had to really fight with our insurance company to cover it, but they finally are (had to go back and forth getting all kinds of paperwork and letters of medical necessity and new prescriptions, etc). We're very fortunate. We certainly couldn't afford almost three $grand a month *gulp* for these meds otherwise!

It takes a few days for it to fully build up in your system, but you should start to feel the effects fairly quickly. Also, if you happen to miss a pill, watch out. If I miss one, I'm down and out of it for at least a day or two.

Worst side effect is constipation. Oh my word, get your fiber if you take Zofran. That's all I'll say about that. =P

Best of luck to you! Having HG is a nightmare, especially when you have little ones to take care of who don't understand why mommy can't play and do things anymore. I hope you get some relief very soon! The sooner you get on top of this, the less severe your symptoms will become.

Btw, the smallest dose is 4mg. They also come in 8 mg pills. You are allowed to take up to four 8mg pills a day, if prescribed by your doctor. That's 32 mg total a day, 8mg every six hours. It has to be pretty severe for you to need that much, but there are ladies who take that much. You have to do what you have to do! Taking B6 and unisom along with the Zofran can really help as well. Often the Zofran stops the vomiting, but not the nausea. The B6 and unisom helps control the nausea as well.

AWESOME site to get information and support: THE HER FOUNDATION I highly recommend this site!

bethiecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #23
bethiecow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't know if you've been to your doctor yet, but if you're vomiting fluids and can't keep ANYTHING down, go to the ER and get an iv. Or if you're not sure about that, go to Walgreeens and get some ketone test strips. If you have ketones in your urine, you need to go get an iv ASAP.

bethiecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #24
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Oh.. thanks so much for this info.. its starting to make sense! I have been on it for 4 days and as of yesterday started feeling better.. I been on 8mg ( just what they put me on) and then started taking b6 on top of that yesterday too.. this stuff is spendy tho.. it costs me 30 dollars every 3 days and if I had no insurance 400 every 3 days!! OUCH!!! Anyway.. I made my apt iwth the doct today.. about the fever and constipation (your soo right there) and just an overall..see how baby is.. I am just soo paranoid since I lost my last one in MC... Anyway.. I better goo.. Got tons of orders to fill and lots of shipping lables to print today.. plus laundry etc.. I am just praising GOD that I feel better.. its amazing@!!!!