Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is my water hard or soft? - update in post #12

I just moved, and my water is really different. When I wash my hands, they still feel slick after rinsing. And my diaper wash water is cloudy with soap swirls, but doesn't make suds (no bubbles at all). I'm using the same amount of detergent that I've always used.
So is my water hard or soft? And what can I do to optimize my wash routine?
TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by ommelissa; 02-23-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: update
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my water hard or soft?

Sounds like you have hard water.
Barring in mind... I don't know a ton about this! But my friend said I have soft water here at my house, and I only have to use a small amount of detergent to get lots of suds and bubbles.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If anything I would say soft water. We have very HARD water and you have to use extra detg to get things clean and hands feel dryer (as in my hands tend to get cracked ) washing not slick.
irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's why I'm scratching my head. It seems like a contradiction to have no suds, yet trouble rinsing. Is there some sort of test I could do?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
3migirls
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know places like Sears, that sell water softeners, will test your water for free if you take in a sample.
3migirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
sarara
Clever quote coming soon
seller

My Mood:

Here is the easiest way to tell: do you have a well or are you on city water? If you have a well, it's possible that your water is hard, especially if you notice white buildup on your faucets. If you're on city water, it's soft.

If you're on a well and want to know HOW hard your water is, go to a store that sells hot tubs and pick up a pack of water hardness test strips. They're super-easy to use, pretty accurate, and you don't have to worry about someone artificially inflating your numbers so that they can try to sell you equipment to fix your "problem".

From what you describe though, it sounds like your water is soft.

-Sara

sarara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
m00ndancer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarara View Post
Here is the easiest way to tell: do you have a well or are you on city water? If you have a well, it's possible that your water is hard, especially if you notice white buildup on your faucets. If you're on city water, it's soft.

If you're on a well and want to know HOW hard your water is, go to a store that sells hot tubs and pick up a pack of water hardness test strips. They're super-easy to use, pretty accurate, and you don't have to worry about someone artificially inflating your numbers so that they can try to sell you equipment to fix your "problem".

From what you describe though, it sounds like your water is soft.

-Sara
This isn't necessarily true. When I lived in the country we had well water and my 'then hubby' (he had the test equipment) tested our water and it was not hard at all. Now that I live in town and we are on city water we have pretty hard water. We have build up on all of our faucets and pipes.

I do agree that you can get a test kit and test it yourself, or have someone come out and do the test so you know for sure. I also agree that it sounds like you have soft water. The "When I wash my hands, they still feel slick after rinsing." pretty much tells that. That's one thing I really don't like about water softeners is it leaves me feeling like I can't get all the soap off.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
sarara
Clever quote coming soon
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ndancer View Post
This isn't necessarily true.
Yeah, you're right, I guess I should have put it a different way.

All the municipalities around where I live soften the heck out of their water because they don't want to deal with buildup in the water pipes, so I forget there are some out there that don't.

I guess I should have said: Taking into account the fact that your hands feel slippery for a long time when you're trying to wash the soap off, if you are also on city water then chances are very high that you have soft water.

-Sara

Last edited by sarara; 02-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
sarara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am on city water. i guess I could just call the water association and ask.
Then again, my dad runs the water system in the next county. He could probably test my water.
But what should I do if the water is soft? An d why don't I have suds? Does that mean my diapers are not getting clean? DS has had a tummy bug, so I really want them to be extra clean!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
kaoh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You need the water chart:
http://water.usgs.gov/owq/map1.jpeg

Frm what I read, when you have hard water you can't rely on suds,you have to feel the rinse water- if its soapy/slimy then you need to rinse more. I have pretty hard water not the hardest, but the next step dpwn - and I find I have to use a lot less detergent and I use a water softener like CLR once a week or so.

Is this a top or front loader?