Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How will I know

DS has a bad latch AGAIN He never seems satisfied after nursing even if he stays on for almost an hour! He also has reflux and is throwing up, what seems to be most of what he takes in. How do I know when he has gotten enough? At the advice of two LC's and my cousin who is training to be one, I always offer expressed milk if he doesn't seem satisfied, sometimes he takes it sometimes he doesn't. How much should he be taking in at 11 weeks?

I am getting really stressed, he seems be having one problem after another. I am super paranoid about him taking in enough because he did lose over 15% of his birthweight due to poor latch, then he was having issues with throwing up because of milk and soy. What can I do to make sure he is getting enough? Even after the expressed milk, most times he is still fussy and crying, so how will I know when he has had enough and when he hurting?

I feel like a bad mom because I can't even figure this out

Advertisement

LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: How will I know

your not a bad mom.
have you tried different positions to nurse him in?
I thought my ds wasnt getting enough milk neither when he was just a few weeks old and the ped told me to nurse for only 20 minutes on each side at 1 session per hour. he also had us come back in office in 3 days and my ds had gained weight, the ped wanted me to see i was giving the baby enough. do you give your baby a paci?
if not try one out, my ds nurses and takes a paci and there is no confusion. the ped told me to use a paci as it helps soothe the baby as they have a natural need to suck.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraA1212 View Post
DS has a bad latch AGAIN He never seems satisfied after nursing even if he stays on for almost an hour! He also has reflux and is throwing up, what seems to be most of what he takes in. How do I know when he has gotten enough? At the advice of two LC's and my cousin who is training to be one, I always offer expressed milk if he doesn't seem satisfied, sometimes he takes it sometimes he doesn't. How much should he be taking in at 11 weeks?

I am getting really stressed, he seems be having one problem after another. I am super paranoid about him taking in enough because he did lose over 15% of his birthweight due to poor latch, then he was having issues with throwing up because of milk and soy. What can I do to make sure he is getting enough? Even after the expressed milk, most times he is still fussy and crying, so how will I know when he has had enough and when he hurting?

I feel like a bad mom because I can't even figure this out
Three questions:
Have you eliminated ALL milk and soy that includes soy leichten?
what does his poo look like?
How long after you bf does he get fussy, cry
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He will sometimes take a soothie paci, but lately he won't take any paci and has been using me, but his latch is poor right now and he is killing me!

I have eliminated all milk and soy. He hasn't pooed yet today, but yesterday his poo has been bright neonish yellow and mucousy. When he gets fussy depends, sometimes he is fussy during the last few minutes of the feeding and then spits/throws up as soon as he burps and then stays fussy and spitting up for an 30-60 minutes. But overall, in general he is fussy within 15 minutes after feeding and continues until he either falls asleep, which is only 15 minutes of sleep max, or its time for his next feeding.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
He will sometimes take a soothie paci, but lately he won't take any paci and has been using me, but his latch is poor right now and he is killing me!

I have eliminated all milk and soy. He hasn't pooed yet today, but yesterday his poo has been bright neonish yellow and mucousy. When he gets fussy depends, sometimes he is fussy during the last few minutes of the feeding and then spits/throws up as soon as he burps and then stays fussy and spitting up for an 30-60 minutes. But overall, in general he is fussy within 15 minutes after feeding and continues until he either falls asleep, which is only 15 minutes of sleep max, or its time for his next feeding.
if there is mucous in his poo you need to go to you pedi or better yet a pedi GI, if you have a children's hospital near by go there. Also does the lacationist know that his poo has mucous in it? if not call her and ask about the elimination diet; it is HARD, but I would sooo do it. If she doesn't have one I can give you one. The easiest way to figure out what is bothering him is to eliminate all for 2 wks(this is about how long it takes for everthing to get out of your milk and his system) and then gradually reintroduce things one week at a time. Especially with reflux babies.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
silver
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Somebody else will know better than I do, since I only have the experience of my own two children, but I find it a little concerning that he hasn't pooped yet today and you posted at 4 pm--is that what time it is there? I have a BF 4-week-old right now and she poops several times by this time of day. I'm not sure if that's normal though; maybe she poops more often than most?

I agree with a PP who said to nurse for shorter periods every hour. That often helps babies who spit up often because their stomachs can't hold as much milk and they need to drink smaller amounts more frequently. That might help him keep down the milk he is getting. Have you contacted an LC to see if she can help correct his latch?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I told his pedi and she seemed concerned, but more preoccupied with the possibility of ds being tongue tied, she gave us a prescription for his reflux and that was it. I will say that since last monday the mucous seems to have gotten worse, although its not everyday. I didn't mention his poo to LC because I didn't think about it, but I will call her tomorrow when she gets in. I am willing to do anything I can to help him.

DS just ate, fell asleep for a few minutes, woke up and puked all over his daddy... Now he is fussy again and I really don't know what to do. Everything that seemed to soothe him before doesn't work. I feel like I am going nuts or torturing him because I can't help
Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

another reason he might not be latching on is he is starting to associate feeding with his tummy hurting. Babies learn very quickly. Also paci's can give babies gas if they don't have good grip on it; they suck in the air as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah it is the same time here. I was, and still am a bit worried about him only pooping one or two times each day, but everyone tells me its normal.
Right now we do not have the money to go see the LC
I am supossed to call and get an appointment with an ENT to see if he should have his tongue clipped to help with his latch, but I am selfish and don't want to see him cry...

He is constantly making noise like he can't stay latched and is coming unlatched and latching back on, and I think he is taking in air during that. Even if he has a bottle he seems to break suction constantly...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yeah it is the same time here. I was, and still am a bit worried about him only pooping one or two times each day, but everyone tells me its normal.
Right now we do not have the money to go see the LC
I am supossed to call and get an appointment with an ENT to see if he should have his tongue clipped to help with his latch, but I am selfish and don't want to see him cry...

He is constantly making noise like he can't stay latched and is coming unlatched and latching back on, and I think he is taking in air during that. Even if he has a bottle he seems to break suction constantly...
the tongue cliping doesn't hurt AT ALL.ds had that done when he was born; came back to the room asleep! There is a easy way to find out if he is tongue tie; stick your pointer finger in his mouth and massage the roof of his mouth; if his tongue doesn't come out and it feels like he is bitting you; get it done; also insurance should cover it; but you just have to remind them it is for nutrient. needs. Try to go to a LLC group in your area and get FREE advise.
I don't mean to sound like a know it all; Daniel just has been to doctor appointments 2 times a month since he was born and he is now 10mon old.