Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
littlewigglebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how do you take your kiddos to the dentist?

My 5yo ASD child has fairly severe issues surrounding his mouth and not wanting anything in it. I can easily brush his teeth now, but that's about it. Unfortunately some of his worst stim behaviours include grinding his teeth INCESSANTLY and chewing up the inside of his mouth. Well, needless to say going to the dentist is necessary and traumatic.

Today it took us almost an hour to get him into the dentist once we pulled into the parking lot. We were prepared for that. Then we had to wrestle him into a papoose board (not too bad), but the actual cleaning almost killed me. He was bawling and just kept saying, "turn it off, turn it off" (one of his few phrases). Now usually I'm pretty good, but today almost had me in tears. He really doesn't get what we're doing, so I know from his POV it must seem like we're torturing him for no good reason. Then it took me almost an hour to get him calmed down. I just had to carry him and hug him tight. He started panicking every time I started to let go. And then the %^$#& school secretary had the nerve to ask why I wasn't leaving his little screaming, pathetic self at school when I took him in to sign his brother back in. Um, what? Anyway we're all good now and his little pearly whites are shining.

Oh, that got pretty long, sorry. But does anybody have any special tips or tricks on how to make this day better? I really hate this worse than anything else, and of course 6 months from now we have to go back. We have good reason to believe he's missing a number of permanent teeth, so we have to keep these little babies in as good a shape as possible for as long as possible. Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you take your kiddos to the dentist?

Do you go to a pediatric dentist? I was petrified of taking both my boys, as I have had trauma issues with the dentist, but finally at the end of December I made the jump, and they both went for the FIRST time...oldest is 5 1/2, then my 2 1/2. They were SSSSSSOOOOOO nice there! I asked if they would take me on as a patient since I was pregnant! They had a good laugh at that one! My LO didn't appreciate it, but we had to hold him down and do a quick clean. He has some malnourishment issues (food allergies and diahrrea) and I was concerned with his teeth...neither boys had any cavities. And I can't say enough for a pediatric dentist...not a family dentist, strictly pediatric. It was great, and they were much gentler.
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
littlewigglebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, he's a pediatric dentist that came highly recommended and we love him. He deals almost exclusively with SN kids too, so he's very relaxed no matter what issues he's faced with. (He's also very good at not getting bit! ) Actually though, I say pediatric, but he's also great about seeing SN adult patients if he saw them as children. Gotta love that!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

we have a program here called practice without pressure. It is a non-profit group that actually practices with you and your child depending on what their needs are and where they are going (for what kind of Dr. etc...).

Have you asked about this type of program from his teacher?

I love it here!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
OTMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up www.fraser.org SMILES DVD Re: how do you take your kiddos to the dentist?

HI!
Just a helpful DVD from a WONDERFUL organization for children/adults with special needs.

www.fraser.org

They are located in minnesota and have a DVD that talks about going to the dentist. It was created with Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Psychologists and other mental health professionals who specifically work with children with autism and pdd.

Their site has it listed along with other items that are VERY helpful to children on the autism spectrum and their families.

GOOD LUCK!

-Sharon
OTMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
mom2threepumpkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate to ask but what is a papoose board?
I took ds who is 4 to the dentist for the 1st time and it was great. They were so nice to him, he would not sit in the chair, he wanted to sit on my lap and I had to sit in the chair. They took it real slow with him and did what they were able to do. They just did the cleaning but no x-ray(get it in 6 mos)
We just prepared him week before his appt. I really don't know what to say about your LO but I know how scary it can be, I had bad experience when I was a child. ALthough my DS screams and cries at the barber shop but wants to go to the dentist...lol go figure

Corinne, mama to 3 wonderful babes and wife to a great man
mom2threepumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
lotus24
Registered Users
seller

A papoose board is a way to keep kids still for medical procedures. They lay on it and are strapped down to it so they can't move at all.

I'm not normally into drugging my kid but the dentist trip is my exception. My five year old has SID. We give her a combo of demerol and visteril before dental work. PLUS, I asked around to find the sweetest, gentlest, most patient pediatric dentist around. He charges an arm and a leg, but it's worth it!
lotus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have an amazing dentist! It's specifically set up for kids (TV's in the ceiling play a disney movie, they wear cool sunglasses, the nurses are all very kid oriented, ect.). It's a lifesaver!!! I too have special needs kiddos, and the dentist is a great opportunity for a major meltdown.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

Special needs Momma here also. For us there is no solution. We have a great pediatric dentist that specializes in special needs. My son has either been tube fed or TPN fed (IV) his entire life and has severe oral aversions. I hate to say it but for us we strap him down tight in his wheelchair and they do an oral exam as quickly as possible just to make sure there aren't any problems. The dentist won't do cleanings unless he decides it is necessary due to the amount of trauma even a quick exam can cause. I have seen my kid under go extremely painful procedures with less fuss then he gives the dentist for just looking into his mouth. I am no help for coping because we haven't found anything to help. We have been trying for 3 years with sensory stimulation orally to get him less sensitized. I even bought toothettes and a Z-vibe and NOTHING works. (((HUGS))) No good advice other then to let you know you aren't alone.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
bunsmommy
Registered Users

Hi there. I really feel your pain. It sounds as if you are doing the best you can. My DD is 3.5 (no diagnosis, non verbal and does not walk independently) and by two had a root canal, three cavities filled and then the sealants put on the rest of her teeth. It was so horrible for both of us. She sees a ped. dentist, but she goes nuts just having x-rays, and a dental cleaning. It takes me and at least three other hygienists to hold her down, and I have such a hard time with it.

My DD also grinds her teeth and puts EVERYTHING into her mouth. I absolutely dread taking her in, but I have to put us through it since she has so many issues with her teeth.

Is there anything that he just loves to do that you can promise him for after the appointment? DD's favorite thing is to swing at the park, so I take her after if she doesn't fall asleep in the car.
bunsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote