Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can you overfeed a BF baby?

Let me just say first off that I love nursing my son. That being said, the doctor thinks I'm overfeeding him. Killian just turned 4 months old. He's almost 20 lbs and he wears 12 month clothing. He's pretty chunky and he's got the biggest cheeks I've ever seen in my life . He eats ALL the time, like every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I know he can go longer because he's been sleeping nine hours at night since he was 6 weeks old. The doctor keeps telling me to space out his feedings but I haven't. It doesn't feel natural to me to refuse to feed him when he wants to eat. They told me to nurse less and give him solids also but I don't want to do that this early either.
I'm not even sure that he's hungry, I think he just really enjoys nursing, lol. When I'm holding him, he usually finds his way down and tries to latch on through my shirt. After five minutes of holding him I'm usually soaked in drool. I have to change in another room because if he sees he take my shirt off, he does the "booby dance" (he shrieks and kicks hig legs so hard he scooches accross the floor). And yes, he does that every time I get ready to feed him. He won't take a bottle of expressed milk and he doesn't usually like being held by anybody but me. I'm afraid if this kid has his way, I'll be BFing him in high school.
I don't really know whether I should be listening to my doctor or not. He says he shoud be going 4 hours in between feedings but if I don't feed Killian when he wants to eat immediately, he FREAKS OUT. Ugh, he looks at me like I'm a crazy lady forcing my boob in this kid's mouth all the time. I actually feel a little better after venting...

PS- please excuse any typos. I'm typing with one hand and nursing with the other.

Advertisement

mommycaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you overfeed a BF baby?

No, you can't. He's eating that often during the day in part because breastmilk is digested very quickly and also because he IS giving you that nice long sleep at night. That's the perfect frequency for a baby his age, and it probably won't change for quite a long time.

Breastfed babies are the perfect regulators, which is part of the reason their obesity rates are lower as adults -- they've always controlled exactly how much they eat. Your son is getting *exactly* what is perfect for him.

ETA: If babies are comfort nursing, they nurse in a different pattern -- so many babies will want to comfort nurse, but they don't nurse in the same way as they do when they're actively seeking letdown for hunger purposes, so that doesn't "overfill" them.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 02-19-2008 at 08:54 PM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

You shouldn't feed a 4 month old solids. Their digestive system just isn't ready for it yet. And it's really impossible to overfeed a bf baby. They may go through a chunky stage, but if they are ebf they will lean out usually by one year old. Feeding on demand is best for breastfeeding; you usually only need to stick with a strict schedule when you formula feed because formula will definitely chunk up a baby if overfed. HTH!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you guys, this makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing by not listening to the doctor. I'm starting to think that maybe I should be looking for a new pediatrician...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd was 20 pounds at 4 months. If I were you I'd get a new pediatrician too. You are doing the right things with your ds. A Dr. should know that.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Trust your instincts. They're ussually better than a Dr. and all the lactation consultants I've heard have said you can't overfeed a BF baby. I also had a friend whose LOs eyes dissappeared when she smiled bc of her rolls! Once he starts moving it'll all go away and he'll prob stretch it out on his own bc he's so interested in other things. I'm jealous you're getting that much sleep that early in the game!
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
Trust your instincts. They're ussually better than a Dr. and all the lactation consultants I've heard have said you can't overfeed a BF baby. I also had a friend whose LOs eyes dissappeared when she smiled bc of her rolls! Once he starts moving it'll all go away and he'll prob stretch it out on his own bc he's so interested in other things. I'm jealous you're getting that much sleep that early in the game!
I love fat babies, lol. DD was really chunky too, but was only bf for a month because I didn't have a lot of support and gave up =(. Having a good night sleep is the only thing that keeps me sane after a whole day of my booby baby.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
smilelykylie
Registered Users
seller

My nephew was a huge baby that people said that about. He is now a perfect sized 3 and a half year old. Babies just grow differently. My doctor always said my daughter should go longer between feedings but the little I tried it caused her to wake more at night which I didn't prefer so I'd just go with feeding when he wants if that is working for you and him.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doctor told me the same thing, my 5 month old is wearing 9 month clothing and nurses every hour or so when I'm home. When I tell her that he's just comfort sucking - she tells me not to over-comfort my baby. wth? So it's okay if I'm giving him a plastic pacifier but not a natural pacifier? Weird. I don't listen to doctors about breastfeeding anyways, there are so many who are just plain uneducated in the subject, if they're not a lactation consultant it pretty much goes in one ear out the other, like much other unsolicited advice.
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My DS was in size 2T by 10months he was HUGE but my DR rocked and said he should be the poster child for Breastfeeding!

Keep nursing on demand!