Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you overfeed a BF baby?

Thanks for asking this, Cait! I am in a similiar position, although its not our pedi, its my mom!

Caroline had weight gain issues in the beginning (she wasn't gaining). Well now that we are NOT supplementing, she is only 4 oz away from doubling her birth weight (she is 3 months old). Her birth weight was 6 lbs 13 oz, and she is 13 lbs 6 oz as of yesterday. She gained more weight with boobie only

My mom thinks she is eating too much. Uhhh, what am I suppose to do, let her cry??? She said, "how about cereal?" Nope, ain't gonna happen!

Cait!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
sarahohm
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=mommycaitlin;2824507]I have to change in another room because if he sees he take my shirt off, he does the "booby dance" (he shrieks and kicks hig legs so hard he scooches accross the floor). And yes, he does that every time I get ready to feed him.

Sooo...cute!
But seriously, you Dr needs to do some more reading.
You can't overfeed a BF baby...they regulate and your milk changes according to their needs. BF babes usually look chunkier than FF babes until they become mobile, then they lean right out. Be proud of those chubby cheeks Mama...you made them with your white gold!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
APmommy712
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep feeding on demand mama! Good for you for following your instincts, a doctor will never know our babies better than we do.

And just as a side note, my dd nursed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours until she was over a year old. She loved her "milkies" and still does.
I love my job, ask me more about it!
APmommy712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
lisad1
Registered Users

Well as for your questions I wholeheartedly agree with all the pp's but I have to add that your ds is adorable! I love chunky babies, and that milk dance thing is so cute too!
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think 4 months is too young for solids and I do not believe at all you can overfeed a BF baby. My baby was a chunk when he was EBF - in the 95%, and as we starting eating solids he slid right down that scale and is now in the less than 25% range. And we introduced solids later -

I would just keep up the good work and not listen 100% to your Dr.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
just1more
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ezra was 6lb 12oz at birth. hes 7m today and 28lbs. all breastmilk. my ped. thinks hes just fine.
just1more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ped (who has a nutritionist for a partner) said BF babies tend to gain faster then FF babies the first 6 months. It's to prepare them for crawling/walking it off. Breastmilk is full of 'brown' fat and is easier to 'lose'. So, no worries mama!
Oh, and my 13 month old is just now going 4-5 hours between, and there is still the evening time every 2 hours for 3 sessions. He's doing fine! And is quite the looker! My baby has been talking to all of the babies!
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #18
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd recommend finding a new ped. I was told the same thing b/c my ds is really long. Remember, they aren't trained in breastfeeding, so like someone already said- in one ear & out the other! keep up the awesome work!!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #19
C&EsMom
Registered Users

Both of my babies were 19 pounds at 4 months and the doctor just said, "Wow, all on breastmilk, right?" My babies just grew fast... but it tapered off on it's own the second half of the first year.
My 8 month old still nurses every 2 hours during the day but he's sleeping 11 hours at night so I'm thrilled
Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #20
patzgrl84
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
My doctor told me the same thing, my 5 month old is wearing 9 month clothing and nurses every hour or so when I'm home. When I tell her that he's just comfort sucking - she tells me not to over-comfort my baby. wth? So it's okay if I'm giving him a plastic pacifier but not a natural pacifier? Weird. I don't listen to doctors about breastfeeding anyways, there are so many who are just plain uneducated in the subject, if they're not a lactation consultant it pretty much goes in one ear out the other, like much other unsolicited advice.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Fieldcraftmama
patzgrl84 is offline   Reply With Quote