Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you hold off starting solids?

I'm not sure if this is a question for here or the starting solids forum. Since it's about not starting solids, I will ask it here. My question is what do you do when baby is really interested in other food. Like grabs at it and opens her mouth and seemingly pleads with her eyes and sometimes grunts. I am totally about waiting to start solids but what does everyone else do? I don't think she could wait until a year. How do you mamas do that? I know she's only 5 months now and we are going to wait longer but I'm curious. Are there some babies that just don't get interested in other foods or is it really hard?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you hold off starting solids?

Well, keep in mind most babies also grunt and grab at things like keys, but don't necessarily need to eat them, ya know?

If you truly feel like she's absolutely wanting food, you can try something like a breastmilk popsicle, to give her a new experience. She's not *hungry* for it, needing it, just curious, ya know?

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I thin you're interpreting the signs how you see them making most sense as a food-eating adult. My now 6 month old daughter spent a whole month going apeshi#for a glass of water with a straw. I know she doesn't need more liquid. I know she has no clue what a glass or a straw is. But she was fascinated! She DEMANDED that we let her lick the glass, touch the glass, put the glass against her tongue. If it had been a hot dog instead of a glass of water, would I really have thought she wanted a hot dog?

And sure enough, tonight, she barely had even a dismissive glance toward my glass of water. It was all about the novelty! So hold fast. We aren't introducing solid for some time yet, no matter how much she ogles our macaroni and cheese dinners. Because I am the adult and bigger than she is, and she is growing just fine without them!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Well, keep in mind most babies also grunt and grab at things like keys, but don't necessarily need to eat them, ya know?

If you truly feel like she's absolutely wanting food, you can try something like a breastmilk popsicle, to give her a new experience. She's not *hungry* for it, needing it, just curious, ya know?
the popsicle is a good idea. and I know she's not hungry for it. She's over 20 pounds at 5 months! It's getting hard to fight off the grandmas though. MIL tried to feed her cake this weekend! She doesn't typically do that though. And she did stop.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and at what point do you decide to start solids?? I feel like a newbie mom, my other boys were on jarred foods by this age...doing things different this time but now i don't know when/how to begin...got any websites to share?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not to hijack, but out of curiousity, why do you want todelay solids?
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=ThatLinGirl;2824810]Well, keep in mind most babies also grunt and grab at things like keys, but don't necessarily need to eat them, ya know?
QUOTE]

I also agree with this. My daughter is 9 months and still not eating solids. I think you will defiantly see the signs of readiness. My son started eating at about 6 months but he was 'eating' my daughter tastes things but has no real interest.
Just fallow her cues and you'll be fine
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
and at what point do you decide to start solids?? I feel like a newbie mom, my other boys were on jarred foods by this age...doing things different this time but now i don't know when/how to begin...got any websites to share?
I felt this way with this one too! Here are some good articles that helped me alot

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

http://mother-2-mother.com/samplemenus.htm

I got alot of good advice from these two websites.

HTH

Jennifer
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't done my own research, but my midwife recommends not starting solids until teeth are coming in. Apparently it has to do with the stomach acids and being ready for certain foods and introducing them too early can cause allergies.