Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
liquid or powder detergent with hard water?

Dh and I have decided that instead of spending a small fortune on Calgon to add to each and every load of laundry in an attempt to get the Charlie's soap to work, that instead we'll go back to a "stronger" detergent and see how that goes.

We have well water, so I was wondering if it makes a difference whether I get powdered or liquid laundry detergent. We are going to probably go back to regular Purex for everything, including the diapers, and see how it goes. But I'm not opposed to trying Tide if I have to, and I noticed that it comes in either liquid or powder, and the powder seems to be a better deal because it does more loads than the same priced liquid does.

Opinions???
thanks!

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
dewey07us
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: liquid or powder detergent with hard water?

We have well water too. I use Tide with dawn liquid and our dipes come out spotless.
dewey07us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Missah78
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I go back and forth, liquid A&H essentials and powder tide!
Missah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
monkeybunsdiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do you have your own septic? Don't take my word for this, I'd research it first, but I read somewhere that if you have a septic system you shouldn't use powder because the clay like substance in the powder can damage your drainfield. Once again, not sure if it's true. I use liquid just because I don't want to risk it.
monkeybunsdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
JenMah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have hard water and I prefer to use powder. I use Tide Coldwater (on HOT) and couldn't find the powder version the last time, so I got the liquid. I use the same little measuring cup with both liquid and powder and I found I needed to add more of the liquid to get the same "clean" as my powder. I'm not sure if the 'concentration' is the same, but I just prefer powder.

Mommy-Mom to Mason-13, Molly-10, Maguire-5, Meredith-2.5
JenMah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybunsdiapers View Post
Do you have your own septic? Don't take my word for this, I'd research it first, but I read somewhere that if you have a septic system you shouldn't use powder because the clay like substance in the powder can damage your drainfield. Once again, not sure if it's true. I use liquid just because I don't want to risk it.
Actually, our washer drains separately from the septic tank stuff. There's an "infiltrator" in the backyard that the water goes through. I'm not sure if that can be damaged by powder detergent or not. As much laundry as we do, it's a good thing the washer doesn't go into the septic tank!

I'm really wanting to try the tide with dawn. Don't know if dh will ever go for that though, it's expensive compared to purex!
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
**Tasha**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have well water, and I use liquid concentrate Purex F&C. I find that it doesnt really get the diapers clean. I have to do 2 washes sometimes. :roll:

I am definatley going to switch to something else. I HATE this.
**Tasha** is offline   Reply With Quote