Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
colecaitlinchase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
another allergy question

We finally received the results for my son's blood work back. It shows that he is allergic to wheat and eggs. Both of which he eats all the time and I mean ALL the time. Even since the blood work was done while we waited to see what he was allergic in that week he ate both many times. He is going to the allergist this Sat to have a skin test done. My question is this: has any had allergy testing done on their blood and the results be different fromt eh skin test? I am also still nursing and I myself eat both wheat and eggs in great quantity, do I need to also stop?
TIA

Advertisement

Please remember to leave feedback!
colecaitlinchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: another allergy question

Yes, you need to stop eating it too if he is nursing, and yes the results can be different. Also be aware that he can be allergic to things that he didn't test positive for. Histamine reactions are tested, not other reactions.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
colecaitlinchase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
Yes, you need to stop eating it too if he is nursing, and yes the results can be different. Also be aware that he can be allergic to things that he didn't test positive for. Histamine reactions are tested, not other reactions.
The whole thing is really stressing me out. He has never had a reaction before eating the same chinese food we always eat two weeks ago. Never had the runs or vomiting otehr then an actual stomach virus which has only been twice. Even after he got hives that day he ate wheat and eggs before I had blood results and didn't get hives again. I find it so strange. He is over twoa nd after going shopping today for a few things that are wheat/egg free man is it expensive. More then we can afford. I would have to wean him before I could cut it all from my diet and eat that way too. I can't pay a bill after food shopping today, its crazy.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand. We have a lot of food allergies here that started at about 2.5 years for my ODS.

It is actually cheaper to eat with the allergy free foods b/c you are making them from scratch. Getting "premade" foods is the expense. Trust me, I know We can't have any dairy proteins at all, no yeast, no wheat, and no egg for one of them.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Don't have much time....but www.kidswithfoodallergies is a must!! It's 25 to join, but TONS of recipes plus a message board. I'll post more later. (((hugs)))

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
colecaitlinchase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Don't have much time....but www.kidswithfoodallergies is a must!! It's 25 to join, but TONS of recipes plus a message board. I'll post more later. (((hugs)))
Thank you very much, the link osn't working though just brings up a blank white page. I added .com to the end and it came up web page doesn't exist.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
akrancher
Registered Users
seller

The skin prick test on the back that we had done is to test for anyphalatic reactions to the foods. THere is a something called a patch test that ds is having done next month. It is a Mon-Thurs. test and VERY accurate. It is similar to the patch test done for airborne allergies expept with food. Many allergists haven't heard of it having it done for food. ASK for it!! The patches (with the actual food on them) go on Mon. , come off Wed. and the back is read on Thursday. It will be worth every penny for us to know exactly what DS is allergic to. I haven't heard of blood testing for food allergies. Our Ped. Allergist never mentioned that.
And yes, as pp said, you need to stop eating the foods if you continue to nurse. Is their a dietician at your dr office? DSs allergist has a dietician that we talk to about specifics. She is very helpful on helping us find food alternatives that still give lots of good fat and protein. (DS is 14 months).
akrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colecaitlinchase View Post
Thank you very much, the link osn't working though just brings up a blank white page. I added .com to the end and it came up web page doesn't exist.
Its a .org -- very worth it. Really.

Skin tests have false positives. Blood tests have false negatives. A positive on a blood test is really quite reliable. The two kinds of tests together can give you a good picture, but reactions trump results.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and as the previous posters mentioned, those tests only check for IgE allergies, or "true" allergies. They can't tell you about intolerances, which shouldn't be taken lightly just because the term is less scary. Patch testing can sometimes be useful for intolerances, but an elimination diet is the only 100% way to track them down, unfortunately.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and skin testing doesn't only test for anyphalatic reactions. It will show IgE reactions of varying severities.