Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
colecaitlinchase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: another allergy question

Ok my 9 year old had a blood test done 2 years ago and it came back allergic to almonds and pecans. He then saw an allergist which he did the skin test on his back and everything came back negetive. So they then in jected him with 27 yes 27 differnt needles of allergens and all came back negetive. So the allergist said he is fine and gave me an epipen to keep on hand in case the positive on the blood ever turned into a real allergy.
I am wondering if the same thing is going on with my 2 year old. The pedi said the blood test came back as a two for wheat and eggs which he said is very mild. He also said that soemthing else may have triggered the hives and once the endorphins are brought on it can show sensitivities as possitives. We use a holistic pedi so I am really praying for my sons sake that its not a real allergy.
Thank you all for your replies it is calming me down a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Its a .org -- very worth it. Really.

Skin tests have false positives. Blood tests have false negatives. A positive on a blood test is really quite reliable. The two kinds of tests together can give you a good picture, but reactions trump results.

Advertisement

Please remember to leave feedback!
colecaitlinchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: another allergy question

Well, false positives on blood tests are usually equally common to false negatives on skin tests. I wouldn't assume it was the skin that was accurate and the blood that was negative, you know? Especially because the blood gives an indicator of HOW allergic a child is, usually. The blood usually has false NEGATIVES and the skin false POSITIVES. Frequently.

By far the safest thing is to avoid. He may be very mildly allergic, which is why you're not seeing major symptoms, but in order to outgrow that he needs to avoid sensitization.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote