Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

Questions About Boiling Hemp/Diapers - Need Insight

I've been using some BKT/hemp pocket inserts for overnight & I find the overnight dipes are the ones that are having that pungent, amonia smell every morning. Although I only use about 2 tblsp of detergent for a full load of dipes, and I normally do 2 washes (cold & hot) and then a double rinse, I'm thinking I might have some build up in those hemp inserts....so I'm thinking about boiling them. But I have some questions:

1) How long do you boil hemp? A few minutes on a rapid boil? Or do you take it off the heat once you add the inserts and just let it simmer? I need some hand-holding here

2) Can you boil Happy Hempy pocket fitteds? They have velcro.

3) What's the concensus on boiling hemp diapers with snaps? I've read most people say NO because it'll ruin the plastic snaps, but then others have said they boil pacifiers & their breast pump plastic parts with no problem. So has anyone boiled a hemp diaper with snaps? How did it come out?

4) And lastly, would you boil a fleece pocket dipe to strip it if you thought it was repelling water? I'm just wondering because people talk about boiling to strip hemp, just wondering if you'd do the same for fleece dipes.

Thanks for any advice!
Suz : )

Advertisement

suzhatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
raversangel
Banned

Re: Questions About Boiling Hemp/Diapers - Need Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhatch1
I've been using some BKT/hemp pocket inserts for overnight & I find the overnight dipes are the ones that are having that pungent, amonia smell every morning. Although I only use about 2 tblsp of detergent for a full load of dipes, and I normally do 2 washes (cold & hot) and then a double rinse, I'm thinking I might have some build up in those hemp inserts....so I'm thinking about boiling them. But I have some questions:

1) How long do you boil hemp? A few minutes on a rapid boil? Or do you take it off the heat once you add the inserts and just let it simmer? I need some hand-holding here

2) Can you boil Happy Hempy pocket fitteds? They have velcro.

3) What's the concensus on boiling hemp diapers with snaps? I've read most people say NO because it'll ruin the plastic snaps, but then others have said they boil pacifiers & their breast pump plastic parts with no problem. So has anyone boiled a hemp diaper with snaps? How did it come out?

4) And lastly, would you boil a fleece pocket dipe to strip it if you thought it was repelling water? I'm just wondering because people talk about boiling to strip hemp, just wondering if you'd do the same for fleece dipes.

Thanks for any advice!
Suz : )

1. i boil hemp on a rapid boil for a good 10-15min, if you notice a ton of bubbles boil for 5, rinse and boil again

2. i don't have any, but i don't see why velcro would hold you back

3. i've boiled hemp inserts w/snaps and had no problems

4. no i don't think its neccesary to boil fleece...fleece 'lets go' of things MUCH easier than hemp...hemp is such a dense and absorbant material that it needs the high temps to help it release the suds

i'd also recommend adding some vinigar to your wash if you are having buildup
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
mommyof2girls
Registered Users

I boil for about 20min (rapid boil). I've added a dash of detergent. Rinse..reboil for about 10min until there is no suds!

boiling hemp has really gotten the smell out of it!!!

Good Luck!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
mama4jc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've struggled with the same ammonia smell (knock-you-off-your-feet strength!) in the mornings at times. After researching, people have been saying that it's basically bacteria in the dipes that are breaking down the urine into its components (one of them being ammonia). They recommended making sure that I am using enough detergent to wash off the pee/poo on the dipes (so bacteria can't grow anymore). Then to get rid of the bacteria, using bac-out or to boil the dipes according to what pp's have said. Using vinegar to neutralize the ammonia smell might solve the symptoms but if bacteria is the root problem, you will need to wash and sanitize by boiling. And since boiling removes potential buildup, too, I did that as well. HTH!