Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:
I went to Parents' Night at DD's school...

And it confirmed two things for me: one, some people really drive me nuts, and two, I don't have what it takes to become a CPST.

the topics covered were Signs of Child Abuse (and how to report it) and Car Seat Safety. The policeman who gave the talk about child restraints actually did a good job and he told us about the free carseat program where you can trade in your old one for a new one (they take wrecked ones, ones that don't work for your child/car, etc., which I didn't really realize), along with explaining the booster seat laws in our state. But, as always, there was a mama there who was convinced that her 80 lb 7 yr-old was too big for any booster seat. The policeman told her several times that he had yet to see a child that age/weight that didn't fit one and that they had the free ones to give away and asked her to come by this weekend and let him try her out in it, and she said, "We'll see." But it was soooo obvious that she didn't buy it. And there was another mama who is pg with #3 whose other two are 4.5 and 2.5 or so who asked a question that totally blew me away. After we'd talked about RF and the minimum guideline, she said that her boys had both outgrown their infant carriers at 5 mos and her doctor had recommended moving them into bigger seats so she had to have them FF because the only seats she found at the store that would fit her babies were FF seats. He told her that there are some seats called convertible carseats that can be used from nb until they outgrow at 3-5 yrs. She was like, "well, where do you get them?" No offense to anyone reading this, but I was totally shocked that in this day and age there was someone fairly young (and who always seemed so... modern) would be totally clueless as to a convertible carseat. She told the officer that both her boys were too big for any seats, so she had them both in backless boosters. I was totally floored!

Like I said, it just really confirmed it for me that I couldn't ever be a good CPST. I care way too much and want to be able to tell everyone what to do about child restraints...

Sorry for the random rant, but I just had to share it here where, hopefully, someone else will get it.

Advertisement

Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I went to Parents' Night at DD's school...

Honestly it sounds like you live around here by me. Stupid people even when being told the rules by a police officer, they think they are right and he is wrong.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
mom2brooke
Registered Users

My Mood:

And why is it that people just don't care if they're putting their children in danger by using the wrong seat, or none at all???? THAT floors me!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

Maybe she thinks her kid is too big as in, too old, not a baby, doesn't need, rather then, won't fit. There are many times I wonder how people can be so clueless about things.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't say they are stupid....just not informed.

I have to say I didn't know about all this car seat safety with my oldest. I put him back into a booster at age 8! Also, my 14 mo. old will be rear facing for a longggggggg time! I didn't know about the recommendations. I wouldn't say I'm stupid.

Some people do not go to baby/parenting website forums, therefore they don't know about it.

Now once they hear the info and choose to ignore it, then yep...stupid
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Oh I Completely agree!!!

CA state law says all children under 12yo must be in rear seats of a vehicle with rear seats and properly restrained unless all rear seats are occupied by YOUNGER properly restrained children. RF seats till 20lbs & 1yo. And proper restraints (meaning CR seats and boosters) till 6yo.
So WHY do I see hundreds of 5yo in the front seat with just a shoulder harness of otherwise empty mini vans? And why do I see 3 & 4yo with NO CR!! And why are most children in Preschool and Kindergarten NOIT in seats!? They’re all 4-6yo still!!!

I even know a cops wife who was totally anal about properly installed CR that now has her 10 1/2yo in the front seat of their Tahoe with Air bags all the time. They only have 2 kids! She’s the mama that enlightened me about CR and got me to investigate and learn all I could to keep my DC as safe as I can.

I’ve actually found it hard to have friends with kids recently. Cause I want to scream at otherwise great parents till they understand! They don’t give their 1yo a knife to play with and ‘hope’ they don’t get cut, why do they take such chances in their cars????

The ‘oh it’s not THAT big of a deal” “I’m a good driver” “they might be uncomfortable” “They’re too old for seats. It’s embarrassing for them now” attitudes just boil my blood!!

I have friends look at me like I’m a crazy person and roll their eyes when they see the 20mn is still RF and the oldest 2 are still in boosters at nearly 8 and 10yo. But guess what my kids would more than likely survive a crash while theirs would end up badly injured just from the belt and slipping around under it!!

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Cryssie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I drives me BONKERS!! Working at a preschool I've sadly called the cops many times reguarding broken car sear rules. We had them come and stake out once. Sad, huh.

One thing though about the one that lets their youngest sit upfront with the Tahoe.. if it is a NEW version, the persons weight determines if the airbag is on or off. You don't have to turn it on, off or anything. Now, that info aside and us having that possability, my DS does not get to ride up front even if he's out only with daddy. He knows it DAD knows it!

Mom 33, Dad 32, Boo 7, Beet 1 , And Bug is here!!
Cryssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A 2.5 year old in a backless booster? I don't even know what to say...
Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Quiteria
Registered Users

Wow. My 6.5yo was huge like that, outgrew the infant height limit on her seat at 4.5mo, and it did take a lot of work to find a convertible seat at the time...I suppose maaaaybe if you live in a small town the selection isn't too great...but we certainly LOOKED put a lot of effort into it until I found a solution that would keep her safe (a convertible with the highest rf limit I could find). I figured there had to be SOMETHING out there. Just take a deep breath and try to remember that availability might not have been as good when this woman's child needed it, and she probably wasn't online, etc....but yeah, it makes me wince, too, especially the ones that think a kindergartener is too old/mature.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-littlemonkeys View Post

I’ve actually found it hard to have friends with kids recently. Cause I want to scream at otherwise great parents till they understand! They don’t give their 1yo a knife to play with and ‘hope’ they don’t get cut, why do they take such chances in their cars????

The ‘oh it’s not THAT big of a deal” “I’m a good driver” “they might be uncomfortable” “They’re too old for seats. It’s embarrassing for them now” attitudes just boil my blood!!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote