Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
silver
Registered Users
seller

Do you use gloves?

For those who don't have a sprayer and have to "dunk" diapers (the kind that aren't solids OR liquids ) do you use gloves? If so, what kind?

I just ran out of the medical gloves I had from nursing school and am not sure where to get more. I don't like using the cleaning gloves that you have to keep reusing, and I can't imagine dunking without any gloves at all

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
*~Mandy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you use gloves?

I use my hands. Otherwise you could get some more medical gloves from walmart or rite aid.
*~Mandy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
jennyz123
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When it is a sticky, not-solid poo, yes - I use gloves. I just have a pair of the long yellow rubber cleaning gloves in the bathroom (hanging in the shower where you can't see when the curtain is closed) and I use those only for this purpose. Before taking them off, I wash my hands (in the gloves) with soap and water, then I take the gloves off and wash my hands again. "Dunking" isn't a big deal to me with the gloves and it is the fastest way to get things done before my toddler starts trying to put her hands in the toilet too.

ETA - I like these gloves because they are longer to protect from splashing than the disposable gloves and I guess I don't like the idea of throwing gloves away every time I need to wash a diaper....

Last edited by jennyz123; 03-01-2008 at 06:18 PM.
jennyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't dunk...the sticky stuff just gets pushed off with a wipe and whatever won't come off goes straight into the pail.

I just run an extra rinse cycle before I add detergent...I also wash every other day...

I always wondered about dunking...don't you have a drippy mess when you put it in your pail? Wouldnt the smell get worse that way? And do you just dunk and swish it around to make it kinda fall off?

Please enlighten me as I always wondered if I was missing something with the whole dunking methods
You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
silver
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyz123 View Post
When it is a sticky, not-solid poo, yes - I use gloves. I just have a pair of the long yellow rubber cleaning gloves in the bathroom (hanging in the shower where you can't see when the curtain is closed) and I use those only for this purpose. Before taking them off, I wash my hands (in the gloves) with soap and water, then I take the gloves off and wash my hands again. "Dunking" isn't a big deal to me with the gloves and it is the fastest way to get things done before my toddler starts trying to put her hands in the toilet too.

ETA - I like these gloves because they are longer to protect from splashing than the disposable gloves and I guess I don't like the idea of throwing gloves away every time I need to wash a diaper....
I hardly waste any because (should I even admit this? ) I do all of mine at once, right before I wash, instead of as they are soiled. I stick them in the diaper pail as-is, and then sort through the pail before washing to make sure all applix is on the laundry tabs and all poo is shaken/dunked out
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
silver
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmommy View Post
I don't dunk...the sticky stuff just gets pushed off with a wipe and whatever won't come off goes straight into the pail.

I just run an extra rinse cycle before I add detergent...I also wash every other day...

I always wondered about dunking...don't you have a drippy mess when you put it in your pail? Wouldnt the smell get worse that way? And do you just dunk and swish it around to make it kinda fall off?

Please enlighten me as I always wondered if I was missing something with the whole dunking methods

This calls for the same explanation I think I actually put everything in the pail as-is and dunk all the diapers at once, right before I wash. That way there are no sopping wet dipes or liners in my pail.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
jennyz123
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I "dunk" them right after I change her. I get all the poo off by "scrubbing" with the diaper itself, if that makes any sense. So, there is no poo left when I put it in the pail. We use a bucket, not a wetbag. I kind of wring the dipe out before putting it into the bucket so it is wet but not drippy. I wash every other or every third day. No stink problems, although I do have a little disc with some home fragrance oil stuck on the bucket....I know that a lot of mamas just shake off whatever falls off and then toss the dipe in the wash, but I am obsessive about getting all of the poo off of the dipe before putting it in the bucket. I don't like the idea of the poo in the crevices of the washer, even though I'm sure that doesn't even happen, LOL. I used to wash them in the tub and then wash the tub, but we are in a serious drought here and that was too much water.

Anyway, like pp said, I think you can get gloves that would work great for you at wal-mart or a similar kind of store, maybe near the pharmacy?

Jen
Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyz123 View Post
I "dunk" them right after I change her. I get all the poo off by "scrubbing" with the diaper itself, if that makes any sense. So, there is no poo left when I put it in the pail. We use a bucket, not a wetbag. I kind of wring the dipe out before putting it into the bucket so it is wet but not drippy. I wash every other or every third day. No stink problems, although I do have a little disc with some home fragrance oil stuck on the bucket....I know that a lot of mamas just shake off whatever falls off and then toss the dipe in the wash, but I am obsessive about getting all of the poo off of the dipe before putting it in the bucket. I don't like the idea of the poo in the crevices of the washer, even though I'm sure that doesn't even happen, LOL. I used to wash them in the tub and then wash the tub, but we are in a serious drought here and that was too much water.

Anyway, like pp said, I think you can get gloves that would work great for you at wal-mart or a similar kind of store, maybe near the pharmacy?

Jen
Almost exactly what I do - except one thing... our bathroom is upstairs and we keep the pail downstairs by the washing machine. No I don't carry wet diapers down stairs, I put them in ds' removable potty "can" and use that to transport them! It works like a charm and I just take it back upstairs when I need to go up there then it all ready to go for the next poopy dipe.

I am totally anal about having NO poo left on the dipes, I also scrub them until everything is gone - I've never had a stain and I never have a smelly pail, we wash every 3 days. I don't use gloves either, but I've never liked cleaning gloves, I clean my toilet with me hands and a washrag, so doesn't seem much different to me. Sometime it's really yucky, but then I just wash my hands extra good. The freezing cold toilet bowl water does wonders for getting poo stains out!
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
langyork
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a washed out yogurt container and "scrape" off the poo into the container with finesse. Then I plop it in the loo,and then wash the container again with the diapers.

I hate even touching with gloves.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dunked with dd#1s diaper - and will with dd#2s when the time comes they need it. I stuck my hand in the toilet without gloves and swished until the poo was off. Then I washed my hands with soap and water. No biggie to me. I've gotten poo on my hands by accident when changing a dipe and just washed my hands. Dunking the diaper isn't that much different to me. Soap is my friend.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote