Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
jdeemarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Enough absorbancy... but still leaking?

Like so many other babies, my DS pees quite a lot at night. Thus far only a VBSN has been able to withstand the flood. On my quest for a great night diaper, I recently tried a Baby SoftWrap with the super soaker insert. I am very impressed with the absorbancy! However... my DS leaks out of the front every time, which is strange since the back half of the insert is still dry. I have read that hemp is not good at spreading out the wetness, but there must be something that I can do. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Enough absorbancy... but still leaking?

Just a few guesses here......

how many times have you washed the hemp inserts? It takes 8 or so washes to prep most hemp
Also when you are putting on the dipe are you making sure that your ds is pointing down and into the middle of the dipe? I actually forgot to do this with my ds one night and he peed right up his belly over the top of his dipe LOL

Is your ds a tummy sleeper? COuld this be compression wicking maybe...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hemp is not exactly the fastest material for absorbing - with my super soaker, I found that hemp with microfiber on top worked best - the mf absorbs very quickly, locks in the liquid, then transfers it to the hemp below. Could you add a mf doubler or towel, with some kind of diaper liner between your ds and the mf, since mf is not too good against skin? Maybe just a fleece or raw silk liner? But do make sure your hemp is fully prepped, like pp says.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
jdeemarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr1406 View Post
Just a few guesses here......

how many times have you washed the hemp inserts? It takes 8 or so washes to prep most hemp
I bought them used on FSOT and then washed a couple times (I'm pretty sure they've been prepped enough).

Quote:
Also when you are putting on the dipe are you making sure that your ds is pointing down and into the middle of the dipe? I actually forgot to do this with my ds one night and he peed right up his belly over the top of his dipe LOL
I keep seeing people talk about this, but your sons must be more "well-endowed" than mine, he just has a little "button" that I can't point any particular direction.

Quote:
Is your ds a tummy sleeper? COuld this be compression wicking maybe...
Nope, he sleeps on his back.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
jdeemarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
hemp is not exactly the fastest material for absorbing - with my super soaker, I found that hemp with microfiber on top worked best - the mf absorbs very quickly, locks in the liquid, then transfers it to the hemp below. Could you add a mf doubler or towel, with some kind of diaper liner between your ds and the mf, since mf is not too good against skin? Maybe just a fleece or raw silk liner? But do make sure your hemp is fully prepped, like pp says.
I'll try this. I had thought about using microfiber somehow, but I was worried about it touching his sensitive skin. I think I'll make a fleece "sleeve" for the microfiber.