Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question cloth diapers?

Hi, I have a few questions.......

#1: When I wash the diapers, they sometimes end up kind of stiff once they are dry, I am told I cant use fabric softner, what can I use? (we dont have water water or anything)

#2: I want to make my own "inserts" I guess theyd be called-just an extra couple layer thing to put in there AIO's, but when I go to the fabric stores, they tell me they dont sell anything that would be safe to use...? Is there a type of fabric that I could buy to make them taht they are not awhere of? (I bought some 100% cotton "cozy flannel" remnents, would that be ok?)

#3: What does "bump" mean? lol

#4: Another fabric store question: I said something about hearing that people use fleece liners and they told me that would be the abolute WORST thing to use, especially in the summer. & that is hold smells and I would NEVER get the urine smell out. Is this true?

#5: Could I use "baby fleece" for any type of diapering stuff?

#6: What the heck is a "POCKET DIAPER" ? I could have some and not even know... I have seen pics in the listings here and they look just like my AIO's or covers to me...am I missing something b/c I would think it would be a diaper with a pocket in it, but thats not what I see in the pics...?

PS: yeah, I AM serious.... NO I really am this dense about cloth diapering, even after 4 boys...

Advertisement

christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: cloth diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4
Hi, I have a few questions.......

#1: When I wash the diapers, they sometimes end up kind of stiff once they are dry, I am told I cant use fabric softner, what can I use? (we dont have water water or anything)

#2: I want to make my own "inserts" I guess theyd be called-just an extra couple layer thing to put in there AIO's, but when I go to the fabric stores, they tell me they dont sell anything that would be safe to use...? Is there a type of fabric that I could buy to make them taht they are not awhere of? (I bought some 100% cotton "cozy flannel" remnents, would that be ok?)

#4: Another fabric store question: I said something about hearing that people use fleece liners and they told me that would be the abolute WORST thing to use, especially in the summer. & that is hold smells and I would NEVER get the urine smell out. Is this true?

#6: What the heck is a "POCKET DIAPER" ? I could have some and not even know... I have seen pics in the listings here and they look just like my AIO's or covers to me...am I missing something b/c I would think it would be a diaper with a pocket in it, but thats not what I see in the pics...?

PS: yeah, I AM serious.... NO I really am this dense about cloth diapering, even after 4 boys...

1. You can put vinegar in during the rinse (use the fabric softener dispense/downy ball) - that helps with softening. Are you air drying? If you use the dryer to soften things up first you can air dry the rest of the way and they don't get as crunchy. Or you can use the dryer for everything - that's mostly what I do.

2. can't help you on that one

3. "bump" just means a reply to move the post up the board (so it's back at the top again).

4. don't know

5. don't know

6. pocket diaper - e.g. Fuzzi Bunz, etc. - they have a "pocket" that you can put the absorbent material into & take it out
Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try using Vinegar in your final rinse and see if that softens them up. Are you drying them? I dry everything but my pocket dipes (which are dipes that have a hole or pocket for an insert like Fuzzi Bunz or happy Heineys, Swaddlebees). Bump means they are just bumping up the post to the top of the list. You can make inserts out of microfiber/terry cloth. I just buy mine from cottonbabies. Then if I need an extra in with it I just add a microfiber towel I bought from the auto dept at Walmart. I use regular fleece or flannel in my dipes to catch poo. I have no problems with smell or getting urine or poo out of them.

I think that answers all of it. Fleece draws wetness away from baby. You can find tons of info on diaperpin.com too.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i've mostly seen the doublers or liners made out of flannel, fleece, hemp, cotton and microfiber. the vinegar answer is good, that also gets urine smells out as well if any smell gets stuck in the first place. i was going to make my own inserts as well (once i finally get a sewing machine lol). i was going to use microfiber as the center layers and flannel for the outer on some and fleece on the others. the reason they may be saying that fleece would be the worst to use is b/c in the summer that could get hot, but i don't know i've never asked a baby .
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

#1: When I wash the diapers, they sometimes end up kind of stiff once they are dry, I am told I cant use fabric softner, what can I use? (we dont have water water or anything)I use vinegar and always dry everything in the dryer (but my pocket diapers)

#2: I want to make my own "inserts" I guess theyd be called-just an extra couple layer thing to put in there AIO's, but when I go to the fabric stores, they tell me they dont sell anything that would be safe to use...? Is there a type of fabric that I could buy to make them taht they are not awhere of? (I bought some 100% cotton "cozy flannel" remnents, would that be ok?)you can use cotton, flannel, birdseye, hemp etc...The people I have run into at fabric stores really have not been that knowlegeable at all about the "current" cloth dispers being used. Try online for stuff like help with inserts

#3: What does "bump" mean? lolthis was answere din a previous post

#4: Another fabric store question: I said something about hearing that people use fleece liners and they told me that would be the abolute WORST thing to use, especially in the summer. & that is hold smells and I would NEVER get the urine smell out. Is this true? I use fleece liners all the time. NO stink here or urine smell. Again, the people in the stores may not know what is current with today's diapering techniques. In fact, we use fleece cvers in the summer. Ilove them. They do smell after a whole days use but once washed they are good to go again!

#5: Could I use "baby fleece" for any type of diapering stuff?I do not know

The are diapers where the absorbent part is put into the opening in the diaper between the inside and outside layer. Example..Wonderoos, Happy Heiny's etc.....This insert stuffing can be cutomized to your baby's needs......more or less for their wetting habits. I have even used an empty pocket diaper as a cover before too! We stuff our pockets with a hemp insert wrappe din a microfiber towel because my lil guy is a heavy wetter. They are also all we use when we go out and about. I hope this helps you!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser does work but you may need to do an extra rinse to get the vinegar smell out. I dry everything in the dryer and haven't had any problems with stiffness with anything except hemp fabrics. They do tend to get somewhat stiff, even in the dryer. Janet at Ama'z Padz says that you can kind of pull and twist the fabric to loosen it back up. Mine hasn't been bad enough to really bother me...it's just different from fabrics I'm used to. I always try to use something softer next to baby's skin anyway.

~~~Sounds like you want to make a doubler ("double" the absorbency?) Welcome to the vast world of cloth diapering myths!! I have gotten quite a chuckle out of things I've been told at the fabric store and I'm still pretty new to this myself! You can use anything absorbent...I can't imagine why they would say nothing would be safe. Lots of people use flannel but I have read that it stains easily and isn't the *most* absorbent fabric. Microfiber towels from the auto department are wonderfully absorbent and relatively cheap. Some people have reported irritation when they use them right next to baby's skin but you can definitely use them under another fabric. I have a nice fluffy bath towel that ripped the other day so as soon as I get around to it, I'll be making some doublers from it. I've heard of people using recycled sweatshirts or t-shirts (100% cotton). Anything that will soak up water will be fine. In fact, one of the first cloth diapering sites I stumbled on was http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html and I LOVE their recycled diapers made out of just about anything you have laying around!

~~~I think one of the previous posters already answered this one but it's just a reply for the purpose of "bumping" the message back to the top of the list.

~~~I wish I could have gotten a picture of the lady's face in my Walmart when I told her I wanted a yard of the cheapest fleece they had and I didn't care what it looked like. She asked me what it was for and I told her that I cloth diaper my son and I wanted to make some liners to go inside the diapers because they make cleanup MUCH easier and they feel dry even when they're wet. She informed me that she had CD'd 5 children (she was about my mother's age so this had to be 30 years ago or so!) and she'd never heard anything like that. She actually acted like she was angry at me...like I was lying to her or something. I thought she wasn't going to sell me the fleece! Anyway, I have never had any problems with smells in my fleece liners or fleece lined diapers and that's all we use. I'm kind of curious as to how the fleece is supposed to hold smells since it doesn't absorb anything, it just lets the urine pass right through (thus, the stay-dry effect). Anyway, it's funny what people think sometimes! The thinner, cheaper fleece is better for liners because the thicker fleece can repel water (think fleece covers). It is awesome though because it doesn't stain and poop just rolls right off...not to mention the stay-dry effect and it's so soft...much softer than something like birdseye or "diaper" fabric! You can even cut up fleece baby blankets to use for liners. If you use a colored fleece, make sure you wash it...a LOT...first. The only cheap fleece my Walmart had was green and although I washed it several times before using it, DJ still wound up with a green booty for a couple of days!

~~~Not sure what you mean by "baby fleece". You can recycle fleece receiving blankets to make liners? Any thin fleece will work for liners. The thicker, higher quality fleece will repel water instead of wicking so it can be used for covers.

~~~A pocket diaper looks very much like a cover...it's just a waterproof outer and a stay-dry inner...but one side is not sewn shut (usually the back) so that you have a "pocket" where you can stick something absorbent. They're great because you can put more stuffing at night and less during the day. Some of the bigger name pockets are Fuzzibunz, Happy Heiny, and Swaddlebees. You can look those up to see good pictures and instructions. If you decide to try out pocket diapers, I highly recommend www.beedieweedieboutique.com. The mama who runs that store is a Diaper Swappers mama and super to work with. After I got one of her pockets, I sold all my Wonderoos, Fuzzibunz, and Swaddlebees to buy more of hers because they fit like a dream!

No worries...we were all newbies at one time or another. Personally, I still ask at least really dumb question a week just to keep everyone on their toes. At least you found the greatest group of slightly crunchy mamas on the planet to help you out!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

HEY EVERYBODY!!

BUMP means- Bring Up My Post!!!!

Now don't you all feel smarter since I enlightened you!
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

ijust thought it was just a bump LOL
ididnt know that!!! hey you DID ENLIGhten me
how embarrasing!! i should have known that but alas, didnt
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
bellsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't feel silly mama. I am realtively new to cloth diapering too and I just read as much as I can. The older woman at the fabric store was the same to me! This is a great site sooo ask away!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: cloth diapers?

Thank you EVERYONE!!!

I have went over all of your answers and am starting a NEW thread with NEW questions....LOL!

(Since it went so well and all...)

christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote